Buried Pasts by George Stratford

Buried Pasts

by George Stratford

Buried Pasts is a well written and fast paced historical novel. I found it to be thought provoking and easy to read. ( )
  SAMANTHA100 | Aug 31, 2015 |
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

WOW - that is the first thing that comes to mind when I want to describe this book. I never thought I would say I loved a historical novel but this was an amazing story. The storyline was well developed and the characters were relatable. You seemed to ride all the emotions the characters did. I cannot wait to read more from this author! ( )
  sportzmomof5 | Feb 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In this historical fiction novel, the reader is taken back to WWII and the Berlin bombing raids of 1944. Mike Stafford, a Canadian pilot with the RAF, leads a crew on a dangerous night mission. After a harrowing flight to Berlin and home, the plane is crippled and the rear tail gunner, Geordi, is badly injured. Faced with a landing that is fraught with danger, Stafford makes the decision to order the crew to parachute out to safety while he lands the plane alone. The decision proves fatal to one crew member - which haunts Stafford for the next 20 years.
In Berlin, a young woman watches as her city is bombed. Siggi is forever changed as well on that night as her mother dies in the basement of their destroyed home.
In Chapter 4, we jump forward into the 1960s and see how this one fateful night played out in the lives of the surviving crew members and Siggi, the young German woman.
The plot was interesting, with plenty of twists and turns. The author clearly did his homework on the research. However, the story would have greatly benefited from a strong editor. The overly thick prose distracted from an otherwise enjoyable story. Also, at times, there seemed to be a lack of focus - too many characters with too many backstories vie for the readers' attention. Finally, in an effort to tie up many loose ends all very neatly, the ending felt contrived and forced. ( )
  lynn.guelzow | Sep 26, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A really unusual book, shows great imagination and creativity while at the same time being historically accurate.
Well worth reading that's for sure. ( )
  dlga | Aug 23, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
: I received this book free from Library Thing to read and review. This is an excellent ‘historical’ novel and you don’t have to be a connoisseur of WWII history to enjoy it. In fact, most of the story is set in the 1960s and deals with the after-effects of the war on the individuals, both English, German and other RAF personnel from Commonwealth countries. The author provides well-rounded descriptions of all participants including a particularly revealing insight on a mature German woman who was only a girl of around twenty years of age in 1944. The narrative does not drag at all and mostly plays out on and around the Yorkshire moors with intrigue, suspense plus several twists and turns to keep the reader engrossed. I have been a student of WWII history for well over forty years and when it comes to reading literature on the war, I usually stick to ‘straight history’. Nevertheless, from time to time I will pick up a novel written ‘around’ the war and I really enjoyed reading this book. ****stars. ( )
  Kintra | Aug 15, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

George Stratford's book Buried Pasts was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

George Stratford's book Buried Pasts was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Enigma Press

An edition of this book was published by Enigma Press.

GMTA Publishing, LLC

An edition of this book was published by GMTA Publishing, LLC.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible