Ten Dollar Dinners: 140 Recipes & Tips to…

Ten Dollar Dinners: 140 Recipes & Tips to Elevate Simple, Fresh Meals Any…

by Melissa d'Arabian

Other authors: Raquel Pelzel

many of these dinners I hadn't realized you could make for just ten dollars. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
The Good Stuff

Good variety of recipes for every taste
Simple easy to follow instructions
Ingredients are easily available in any grocery store
Once you have ingredients in house, recipes are inexpensive to make
Great tips and tricks for stretching your food budget
Excellent pantry list - items that you should always have in your pantry in order to easily put together affordable, delicious meals
Lots of pictures (Not one on everypage though, which would have made my wife even happier - the women cannot make a recipe unless she sees a picture of it)
Recipe Cost index is interesting (see note in not so good stuff below)
My kids will probably eat some of the recipes, the picky little heathens
Well organized and easy to look through -- all the pictures make the recipe look extremely appetizing
Wife thinks the index is good (she is making me put this in the review -- don't tell her but yes a good index is important in a cookbook
The Not So Good Stuff

Recipe Cost Index took a few seconds to figure out - would have been nice to have it listed more obvious
meat terminology is American -- than again not really a bad thing, just a pain in the ass when Ayou go to the store looking for the item and its called something else
Not sure you can really say they are 10 dollar dinners as food here in Alberta is really expensive
Favorite Recipes

Moroccan Meatloaf (DELISH & easy to make)
Zucchini Carpaccio
Sole Napoleon with Tomatio-Caper Crudo
Four-step Chicken Piccata
Bruleed Mandarin Oranges and Sabayon
Black Bean Brownies (For the love of god don't tell the kids there were beans in this recipe - they loved them)
Who Should/Shouldn't Use

This cookbook is perfectly suited for the beginner to intermediate cook -- nothing fancy for the more experienced cook
A great cookbook for those on a budget (and that we are since we are now a one income family)
Highly recommended for inclusion into the inventory of a public library (yes that one is from the wife)
4.5 Dewey's
I received this from Random House in Exchange for an Honest Review ( )
  mountie9 | Aug 16, 2012 |

Melissa d'Arabianprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pelzel, Raquelsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307985148, Paperback)

Featured Recipe from Ten Dollar Dinners: Salmon Cakes

Salmon Cakes

Serves 4; Preparation time: 25 minutes; Cooking time: 35 minutes

Ingredients 1 large russet potato 2 bacon strips 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped 1 large egg, lightly beaten 1/2 cup mayonnaise 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard 1/2 teaspoon sugar Zest of 1/2 lemon 14-ounce can wild salmon 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/2 cup vegetable oil Directions

1. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the potato and cook until a paring knife easily slips into the center of the potato, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and, once the potato is cool enough to handle, peel it and place it in a bowl. Use a fork to break up and fluff the potato. Set aside.

2. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon on both sides until browned and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate (save the fat in a small bowl), cool, and then crumble. Place the bacon in a medium bowl and set aside.

3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon fat in a small skillet over low heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent and soft, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the onion cool, then add to the bacon along with the egg, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, and lemon zest, stirring to combine. Add the salmon and then the potato, mixing gently after each addition. Then form into 12 small patties.

4. In a small, shallow baking dish, mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and pepper. Press both sides of the salmon patties firmly into the bread-crumb mixture to evenly coat both sides.

5. Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the salmon cakes in 2 batches until they’re golden on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total, adding more oil when necessary. Serve warm.

Amazon Asks Melissa d'Arabian

Melissa d’Arabian

What's your elevator pitch for Ten Dollar Dinners?

It's about so much more than cooking with inexpensive ingredients! It's a full philosophy of spending with purpose and managing our resources wisely while nourishing our bodies.

Which new cookbooks or chef memoirs are you most excited about?

I can't wait to read Marcus Samuelsson's Yes, Chef and Michael Symon's Carnivore.

What’s the best place you’ve eaten recently?

I had an incredibly special dinner at Uchi in Houston... truly one of the best dinners I've ever had.

What's been your most memorable author moment?

Opening the envelope that had the very first copy of my cookbook in it. I opened it with my husband, very delicately, as if it were fragile.

What other talent would you most like to have (not including flight or invisibility)?

I'd love to be a genius at organization. (To do that, I think you have to be able to really think in 3-D, and I'm very linear.)

What are you obsessed with now?

Doing splits. I'm almost there!

What's your most treasured possession?

My grandma's confirmation bracelet. She gave it to me as my "something old" at my wedding, and I wear it all the time--unless I'm filming Ten Dollar Dinners. She passed away last month, so it's extra special now.

What's on your nightstand?

They Poured Fire on Us from the Sky: The Story of Three Lost Boys from Sudan by Benjamin Ajak, Benson Deng, and Alephonsian Deng.

What's next for you?

After book tour, I'm settling into the new school year with my four daughters--and then get straight back to work on Book # 2!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:14 -0400)

Provides recipes for low-budget, quick meals, including quick black bean chili, crispy chicken a l'orange, and spicy buffalo-style potato wedges.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,924,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible