Campaign of the Gods by Mike Evers

Campaign of the Gods (edition 2012)

by Mike Evers

Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 76 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fantasy, reviewed, ebook

Campaign of the Gods by Mike Evers

Here’s another fun story by Mike Evers. This time, lovers of mythology will get lost in an interesting world where Asgardian gods mingle—at first inadvertently and then very willingly—with Earthly humans. Stuart Gooding is a police constable who is anxiously awaiting the birth of his first child. You’d think that all he had to worry about was assembling a cot and crossing his fingers that the baby doesn’t come while he’s patrolling the streets of Hopfield. But with Norse god, Loki, a troublemaker in every aspect, in the mood for mischief, Officer Gooding’s quiet life won’t stay quiet for very long.

Evers has a talent for creating intricate worlds where the lives of various characters intertwine. While I did find some parts were slower than others, I was sufficiently intrigued to find out how the gods and humans untangle themselves from Loki’s net that I was eager to continue reading nonetheless.

Some things I particularly enjoyed, which I think you might enjoy, too, are the little introductions to Norse deities and concepts that serve as background on the characters and places each chapter mentions. If I ended up not enjoying the story, I would’ve been happy to have learned a little something about Norse mythology at the very least. ( )
  mrsmonnandez | Oct 25, 2013 |
At first I thought that I wouldn't like the book but the more I got into it, the more I enjoyed reading it. This is an excellent story that brings Vikings and creatures from the ancient world into the modern world of today. Talk about culture shock. ( )
  cat3crazy | Jan 25, 2013 |
This was sent to me as an Early Reviewer selection and I enjoyed it immensely! It is written for the young adult category, but I found it fast paced and extremely entertaining. It is wonderful how the author weaves fiction with mythology and creates an up to date story that will keep youthful readers of all ages engaged. Bravo! ( )
  michrym | Dec 12, 2012 |
I entered to win a copy of this book because a friend of mine follows a Norse religion and is always talking about the god Thor. The style of this book is very interesting. It alternates between Thor playing a board game with another god, Tyr, in wherever Norse gods hang out, and Stuart Gooding, a father-to-be in “the real world.” The board game controls events that happen in Stuart’s town, and the adventures that ensue will keep you eager to find out what happens next. ( )
  jurai2 | Dec 5, 2012 |
Jumanji.......Zathura...........board games that come to life. Campaign of the Gods is a similar tale. Think of this one more of a Norse "Dungeons and Dragons" game come to life in rural England, except the game is actually being played by 2 Norse Gods and one of the main characters on Earth/Midgard is a medieval re-enactor. The author has a couple of things incorrect as far as the Viking/Norse berserkers are portrayed, such as the ubiquitous horned helms. Being a real-life medieval re-enactor, I found this book kind of funny at times, but, overall, I really enjoyed the book. If you're looking for a quick escape, this book is perfect. ( )
  GayleBitker | Dec 2, 2012 |

Mythos Press

An edition of this book was published by Mythos Press.

GMTA Publishing, LLC

An edition of this book was published by GMTA Publishing, LLC.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,888,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible