Zombified by Lyra McKen

Zombified

by Lyra McKen

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ok, so I’m a big zombie fan. This means I know a good puss-dripping tale when I read one, and Zombified is just that. But really, the gore was minimal and the action was fast paced. From the intro, I wanted to know what was going to happen to this girl - she’s conversing with a man as she devours the poor chap.

The story kept me cracking up with phrases like “I wasn’t gonna eat her” and “ Hidie-hole.” Although the story is clearly meant for a young audience, any one who likes to catch themselves reading at break-neck speed because they just have to find out what happens next, is really going to enjoy this book.

This is my first time reading a story from the perspective of the infected and I could easily put myself in Cassie’s shoes; wanting to find a cure and survive despite the poison spreading up her arm. And I was angry when they got carelessly sloshed, costing Trent his life.

Lyra pulled her story right out of modern news. She Described High School, with all it’s intensities and quirks, like she’d just been there yesterday.
She posed deep questions about how one might behave if their loved ones were infected and the solidarity of those trapped in the freakish netherworld of not being fully dead or alive. I"m ready for part two…
Lyra, you go girl…SMILE* ( )
  Madamxtra | Sep 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When I first started reading this book, my immediate thought during the Prologue was that it was copying "Warm Bodies." Thankfully, as Chapter 1 started, my fears were eased and I knew it was it's own story. Zombified was a quick read and seemed as a book that would appear to Middle to High-school-aged females. It was quirky at times. Overall, the book was enjoyable and fun. ( )
1 vote AshleyAJohns | Aug 11, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have read dozens of zombie genre books, but never one like this. The prologue had me scratching my head after reading about the thoughts of a female zombie who had just finished feasting on parts of a human body. Her best friend, another zombie, was across the courtyard having her own dinner. She was shuffling across the empty space and communicating with her friend in a series of growls and grunts, understanding one another. I was not expecting this and quickly jumped in to see what it was all about.

The story begins with Cassie, a normal 17 year old teenage girl, sitting in a classroom with other students. Suddenly there is an alarm and a voice on the PA system announces that the school is in lockdown and everyone should remain calm. Cassie spots a lone youth, covered in blood and walking awkwardly toward the classroom window. He beats upon the glass relentlessly, eventually breaking it and attacks the teacher who is trying to fend him off with a wooden yardstick. Strangers bursting into the room with guns blazing toward the zombie causes a sheer panic, driving the students toward the doorway and outside. Here, they are confronted by rapid former teachers, students and neighbors intent on biting them. Cassie goes back into school and is rescued by her high school crush, he leads her to a secret room at the rear of a janitorial closet. Here they'll be safe, at least, for now.

It isn't long when Cassie has to go to the restroom, not stooping so low to peeing into a bucket. She is escorted to the ladies room and her crush guards the doorway. Cassie doesn't expect to run into her teacher in the stall next to hers. She was standing on a single leg, the other bitten off below the knee, already turned. She attacks Cassie, biting her on the end of her finger.

Cassie leaves the school after attacking her "crush" and wonders the countryside looking for other survivors. Instead, she finds others like herself - bitten but not turned. One of them has heard of a cure so they head out together looking it. During the next three days, the group discovers that when encountering zombies, they are not molested - recognized as one of their own.

As time goes by, they continue to advance and eventually turn, becoming full-blown zombies themselves. Cassie maintains her sense of humor and teenager mentality, leading readers to believe that zombies can think, communicate and make friends when encountering other zombies.

The story is hilarious in parts and offers readers a whole new perspective on what we know about zombies. It is short and can be read in an afternoon. I'd recommend it and look forward to the next book in the series.

John Podlaski, author
Cherries - A Vietnam War Novel ( )
1 vote JPodlaski | Aug 9, 2013 |
this was an interesting book and part of the liking is the originality and original view it took. it stayed pretty rudimentary and took the entire zombie apocalypse to a different angle. the book is about the apocalypse from the zombie's perspective. what they think and say. how they feel as they are turning. what goes on in their head. it's good it takes place in a teenager because that kept it low key but would love to read one about an adult that's a bit more complicated but if you're into the zombie thing you gotta read this if nothing else for the originality. ( )
1 vote dekan | Oct 5, 2012 |
I was lucky enough to receive an electronic copy of Zombified in a Librarything Giveaway,

Zombified is a cute little Young Adult zombie novella with a novel twist - it's from the point of view of a zombie. Or rather a teenage girl as she is becoming a zombie. Either way, you don't often get the zombie's viewpoint.

The plot is a little predictable in that it involves hiding, banding together, seeking supplies, seeking shelter and that inevitable journey to find a cure at the CDC (sound familiar?).

However, Zombified is written in a friendly, colloquial way with plenty of humour thrown in to season the plot. There are a few disappointing grammatical and punctuation errors, and even one painful incidence where the word 'assured' was used instead of what I presume should have been 'ushered'. But despite this, I had an enjoyable hour or two making my way through this little gem, enjoying the characters and the way they are dealing with what is happening to them.

Reading this is a good way to pass some time, and it is enjoyable, but the amateur errors and VERY short plot (it's only 100 pages, and it's spaced very widely) make this a 3 star book for me I'm afraid! ( )
1 vote Rea_Cat | Sep 21, 2012 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lyra McKen's book Zombified was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Lyra McKen's book Zombified was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Grimoire Press

An edition of this book was published by Grimoire Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,401,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible