Thinking In Numbers: On Life, Love, Meaning,…

Thinking In Numbers: On Life, Love, Meaning, and Math

by Daniel Tammet

THINKING IN NUMBERS is the book that Daniel Tammet, mathematical savant and bestselling author, was born to write. In Tammet's world, numbers are beautiful and mathematics illuminates our lives and minds. Using anecdotes, everyday examples, and ruminations on history, literature, and more, Tammet allows us to share his unique insights and delight in the way numbers, fractions, and equations underpin all our lives. ( )
  MarkBeronte | Mar 4, 2014 |
The subtitle of this book is “how maths illuminates our lives” and there were certainly sections where I felt enlightened, or where I had to think about a concept but managed to figure it out for myself. I found this quite satisfying. Tammet is at great pains to link mathematics with so-called everyday life. In a lot of cases, he succeeds, but some of the links were a little tenuous for me. That said, the whole book provides ample food for thought and it has opened my eyes to a new appreciation (if not a complete understanding) of mathematics, which I think was Tammet’s intention.
  Tselja | Dec 12, 2013 |
How the author once publicly recited, from memory, the first 22,514 digits of pi in 5 hours and 9 minutes. Plus 24 other undemanding, easy-reading, sublimely thoughtful vignettes on topics truly multifarious. Neither requires nor imparts much knowledge of math.
  fpagan | Dec 3, 2013 |
Not what I expected, but still enjoyable. Expected a concentration on specific math problems or mathematical issues that the author has worked on. Instead, it was brief, momentary memoirs of encounters (both expected and surprising) with math, number, calculation in the author's life.
  FKarr | Nov 11, 2013 |
Because I loved [b:Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant|74812|Born on a Blue Day Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant|Daniel Tammet|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1170864661s/74812.jpg|1461054].
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
[Daniel] Tammet's essays are the product of a truly eclectic mind--the kind of mind that can gracefully link a Tolstoy short story, a maxim from Seneca and contemporary economic inequality. . . . He never gives the sense, however, that he's out to prove a turgid point; rather, there's a lovely casualness to his writing that makes his drift from one topic to another seem natural and instinctive. . . . [N]o matter how personable the author or how elegantly breezy his tone, he is not like us. What a pleasure it is, however, to peer inside his utterly singular mind.
added by sgump | editSmithsonian, Chloë Schama (Jun 1, 2013)

Chess is life. - Bobby Fischer
Like all great rationalists you believed in things that were twice as incredible as theology.  -  Halldor Laxness, Under the Glacier
To see everything, the Master's eye is best of all, As for me, I would add, so is the Lover's eye.  -  Caius Julius Phaedrus

The book that Daniel Tammet, bestselling author and mathematical savant, was born to write. In Tammet's world, numbers are beautiful and mathematics illuminates our lives and minds. Using anecdotes, everyday examples, and ruminations on history, literature, and more, Tammet allows us to share his unique insights and delight in the way numbers, fractions, and equations underpin all our lives. His idiosyncratic worldview gives us new perspecttives on the universal questions of what it is to be human and how we make meaning. This book will change the way you think about math and fire your imagination to see the world with fresh eyes.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,445,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible