Special Offers by M.L. Ryan

Special Offers

by M.L. Ryan

This is one of the books that as I click to read, I don't remember why it is on my kindle. Was it a mad 1-click fest that left me with most of the books on my kindle? This is one of the times, it was worth the surprise.

There are a few instances that I thoroughly enjoyed, but occasionally M.L. Ryan info dumped on the reader, and those times really made me irritated. Don't treat a reader as dumb.

I will say the peculiar job, and the interactions with her cat were just the tip of the iceberg. I seriously think my kindle must be broken; mine didn't come with a hunk. lol.

KariHolloway | Nov 17, 2016 |
When Hailey orders a cheaper kindle with “special offers”, she gets more than she bargained for. Through a strange series of events, a super-natural being named Sebastian has been trapped in the kindle and is released to inhabit Hailey’s body when she turns the kindle on. Fortunately for Hailey, another super-natural (and also super sexy) being is look for Sebastian. With his help, perhaps she’ll be able to retrieve Sebastian’s body from his killer and put him back where he belongs.

M. L. Ryan’s writing style reminded me of Janet Evanovich in a lot of good ways. The snarky sense of humor is definitely there and the plot is just complex enough to be really interesting, while keeping this a particularly light, relaxing read. The main character is also very similar, particularly her disenchantment with men, and she is made relatable by the mundane details of her life that the author works into the story. Even better, the similarities to Janet Evanovich end there, with the violence and the language seeming less crude to me than in Evanovich’s work.

The sex and the strong language were actually a little more graphic than I expected. While that doesn’t necessarily bother me, in this case it felt jarringly out of place. With that exception, I very much enjoyed the writing. I also thought the plot was well done, with well-explained and creative super-natural elements plus a romantic sub-plot that added to the main story without distracting from it. I would highly recommend this to fans of paranormal romance, but also to fans of Evanovich, even those who don’t usual read stories with paranormal elements.

This review first published on Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Nov 7, 2013 |
I'm glad I got this as a free read. The author really tried too hard. ( )
  DrkCherry | Sep 21, 2013 |

This review first published on Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | May 6, 2013 |
A light hearted easy read about Hailey who buys a Kindle to find it comes with a man spirit inside.

I enjoyed this book and although it is about alien life and alternative universes I was taken in by the story and believed in the characters and the situations they found themselves in.

I especially liked the easy charm of the book and how it ‘made’ me keep reading to find out what happens next.

I would have liked Alex and Hailey to have explored the world under the cottage more and for greater details to be given about that, perhaps with more interactions of the two worlds.

Having said that, I have already bought the sequel, Special Rewards, so I’m looking forward to see how the story develops.

autumngirl70 | Apr 3, 2013 |

Meet Hailey - possessed by an otherworldly being who was trapped in her Kindle.

Hailey Parrish is quick-witted, irreverent, and hasn’t had a date in three years. She only wanted an eBook reader because her collection of paperbacks threatened to take over her small living space. Little did she know that the "special offers" that prompted the purchase included much more than a reduced price in exchange for a few ads. The device came pre-loaded with the essence of Sebastian Kess, an erudite womanizer with magical abilities from a parallel dimension. When she inadvertently releases him and he inhabits her body, she finally has a man inside her, just not in the way she imagined. And soon her predicament introduces her to yet another supernatural, the handsome could-be-the-man-of-her-dreams Alex Sunderland. Can Alex and Hailey find a way to return Sebastian to his own body and stay one step ahead of the criminals who want to keep him where he is?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,722,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible