Cleopatra Ascending (A Shadow's Edge Novel)…

Cleopatra Ascending (A Shadow's Edge Novel)

by Maureen Lipinski

I didn't know that this was a second book in a series when I picked up at NetGalley, but that really didn't seem to matter while I read the book. There were a few references to something that happened in the first book and I thought, I wish the author had written about that first. Duh, how stupid am I? She did write about it in the first book featuring a different sister called Shadow's Edge. There are four sisters and I'm betting each sister will get a book. Cleopatra Ascending was Rhea's book, the reincarnation of Cleopatra. Now, I didn't expect much from this book, it just hasn't had a lot of press and it's kind of unassuming just sitting there despite that gorgeous crown and the girl with the smoldering eyes and that hair!

Anyway, I started reading this book and I couldn't put it down! It wasn't too taxing to the brain and it didn't make me worry to much, but it was just a fun, enjoyable read. I loved the relationships between the sisters even though there was the usual sister fighting that goes with being a sibling. They all had one sibling they would go to for confiding in that they could trust. Rhea would go to her sister Morgana a witch. Her other sister Leah is a Shaman for the Creatuir (sorry don't know how to do all the symbols) and her other sister, Gia, is a Muse. Her mother has spirit guides and can predict what is going to happen from them and her father is a policeman. Yeah, he's normal. But, on her 16th birthday, Rhea becomes the reincarnation of Cleopatra and starts having very realistic dreams about her. The Octavian's, the people that raised Cleopatra's children, are trying to kidnap her to use her to raise a zombie army. Ah ha, I knew I'd get some of you with the word ZOMBIE. But that's not really the biggest part of the book.

What I really want to say about the book is that if you love Egyptology and some romance, then you'll love this light read. I am going to go back and read the first book in the series so I can understand every one's powers and how Rhea met her boyfriend Slade and exactly what he is. Not human, that's for sure. You might not like Rhea at times, but you also need to put yourself in her shoes. She's a tad selfish, but I would be too, given the circumstances. She never asked to be Cleopatra's reincarnation and all that entails. So if you remember that, you'll probably see her point of view. And she is only sixteen, weren't we all selfish at that age???

I say give it a try! It was a fun quick read and before all the dystopian sequels come out or during, if you need something light but with some mystery to it, this is a great one to try. I'll let you know what I think of the first book.

Thanks to the publishers at Flux for the E-ARC galley made available through NetGalley. It was given for a fair and honest review. This in no way influenced my opinions.

Heather ( )
  hrose2931 | Jan 7, 2013 |
Rhea is a typical teen. By turns she is self-involved and selfless, self-absorbed and intuitive and much like a normal teen. But Rhea is also the reincarnation of Cleopatra which hasn't impacted her life much until her sixteenth birthday. All of a sudden two groups of guys are after her. The Order wants to protect her and the Octavians want to use her to further their evil goals. And Rhea is having very vivid dreams about Cleopatra.

I met Rhea in SHADOW'S EDGE which focused on her older sister Leah's story and didn't much like her. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I liked her very much when she was the focus of the story. I thought her wry comments and self-deprecating behavior was engaging. I liked that she has felt slighted in the special powers area because her sisters were each so amazing. But I also liked that she had enough self-confidence to not become bitter.

I liked her relationship with her boyfriend Slade which was a Romeo and Juliet sort of relationship especially given that he was a Dark Creatuir whose parents really didn't like her. I liked that, while he was there to support her at critical moments, events in his own life left her to be strong and figure many things out on her own. I liked that there was no love triangle in this one. Declan was a member of the Order who was assigned to protect her but he had a girlfriend and a life he wanted to get back too. He treated her like a little sister.

I sympathized with Rhea as her powers manifested. Being able to raise that dead was not really a very cool power even though Zombo the zombie dog she raised was cute in a dead and rotting way. I liked the support she received from her family and liked the contrast of her relationship with her family to that of Declan's relationship with his.

I did feel that the pacing of the story was a little odd. It took until the 25% mark before anything really happened and then the resolution of the story seemed to happen in just a few pages at the end. I do think that fans of paranormals who like feisty heroines who are very much real teens will enjoy this story though. ( )
  kmartin802 | Dec 29, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0738731935, Paperback)

Sweet Sixteen = You’re a Queen

Despite living with a shaman, a witch, and a muse for sisters, Rhea Spencer feels like a normal teenager—even if she is the reincarnation of Cleopatra. But all that changes on Rhea’s sixteenth birthday, when her visions of the Egyptian queen start unraveling a very different version of history, and Declan, a hot representative of the secret Order of Antony, shows up on the doorstep to keep her from being kidnapped. Together, Rhea and Declan travel to Egypt to stop the Octavians, a dark cabal trying to tap into Rhea’s growing powers. The cabal seeks to access the magic deep below the desert sands, a potentially devastating force that only Rhea can protect.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:41 -0400)

Despite living with a shaman, a witch, and a muse for sisters, Rhea feels like a normal teenager--even if she is the reincarnation of Cleopatra--until she turns sixteen and must travel to Egypt to stop the Octavians from accessing the magic deep below the desert sands.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,693,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible