One More for the Road by Ray Bradbury

One More for the Road

by Ray Bradbury

'First Day' *** A man suddenly recalls that he and his 3 best friends from school agreed to meet at the flagpole in front of the high school at noon in 50 years. Will he be the only one who shows up, as his wife suggests?

'Heart Transplant':***1/2 One half of a cheating couple in a hotel room wistfully thinks it would be nice if they could fall in love with their spouses again.

'Quid Pro Quo': ***1/2 A man who doesn't know why he built a time machine finds a use for it.

'After the Ball': ***1/2 One of several elderly couples who've had a night of ballroom dancing might get more than the man thought they would.

'In Memoriam': **** A mother is worried about her husband, and that father can't let go.

'Tête-à-Tête':**** Two writers listen to an elderly couple who sit on the same bench every night, always arguing.

'The Dragon Danced at Midnight' (original title, 'The Year the Glop Monster Won the Golden Lion at Cannes)':***** Two makers of bad films get their big break.

'The Nineteenth':*** a man is driving along when he spots an old man searching for lost golf balls.

'Beasts':***1/2 a man is fool enough to call a phone number his supposed friend gives to him.

'Autumn Afternoon':*** An old woman and her small niece differ in their opinion about whether or not to save a calendar page. The autumn-hating aunt decides to clean out her attic.

'Where All Is Emptiness There Is Room to Move'*** A young man visits the supposedly deserted town of Santo Domingo in Mexico.

'One-Woman Show':***1/2 A critic gushes to a versatile actress' husband about how lucky he is to be married to her.

'The Laurel and Alpha Centauri Farewell Tour': *** Sweet for Laurel and Hardy fans, not sure how readers unfamiliar with that comic duo would react.

'Leftovers': *** Ralph Fentriss is the kind of person who listens to troubled souls. His wife, Emily, isn't.

'One More For the Road': *** a would-be author thinks he has an idea for the perfect book. How does that work out for him and his publisher?

'Time Intervening': **** an old man, a boy, a young man, and some little children keep meeting.

'The Enemy in the Wheat': ** The man expects to be killed, but he won't move.

'Fore':* Glenn Foray allows a very upset man to continue hitting golf balls long after the course closes. He decides to find out why the man is so upset, jumps to a conclusion and, without truly verifying his suspicion, avenges. Sorry (not really), Mr. Bradbury, I think Foray should be arrested.

'My Son, Max':* a man who can read lips checks out a family conversation that's the sequel to one he checked out a year ago. A verbal bombshell was dropped then, another now. My sympathies are with the son, who doesn't owe his father what his father wants from him.

'The F. Scott/Tolstoy/Ahab Accumulator':***The time machine creator has a new mission. I notice that he didn't even think of helping Jane Austen, whose fatal illness is treatable today.

'Well, What do You Have to Say For Yourself?':* Reading this story after reading 'Fore' made me angry. The former medical librarian in me wants to warn the lady in the story to make sure the cad has no nasty infections before giving him an answer.

'Diane de Forêt': **** A man is in danger of being locked in a Paris graveyard for the night when he comes upon the exquisite tomb of Diane of the Forest.

'The Cricket on the Hearth': They're supposed to be good luck. Amusing and sad. I understand the wife's sentiments at the end.

'Afterward: Metaphors, the Breakfast of Champions':*** Interesting explanations.

Bottom Line: I'll forgive the stories I detested/hated for the sake of the few stories I loved. ( )
  JalenV | Mar 23, 2015 |
Well, I got into Bradbury a little later in life, but I've really enjoyed his work. Typically, really imaginative and riveting. I guess that's why this only received three stars. It wasn't bad writing - I don't think that's possible by Bradbury. But the stories were a bit mundane and I guess I was just hungry for something else. No rocket-ships, no sinister characters, no otherworldly beings, really, for the most part, the stories could have been non-fiction in most of the cases (a couple of exceptions). It just wasn't what I was expecting, or what I really wanted right then. But, the writing as always at least, was topnotch. ( )
  Sean191 | Jun 9, 2011 |
I wasn't sure about this book of short stories to start with, as the first couple didn't grab me at all. But as I continued, I realised that all the stories were about loss. There are some ghost stories, and time-travel features in a couple more, but others are set in the real world.

2012 re-read:
Borrowed from the library for a re-read after Ray Bradbury's recent death. I enjoyed the stories more this time, although I still didn't understand the endings of "After the Ball" and "Fore!", but I'm going to leave the star rating unchanged since it reflects my initial feelings about the stories. ( )
  isabelx | Feb 20, 2011 |
The spectre of death hangs over these twenty-five short stories by Ray Bradbury, but not in the way you'd expect, or in any way that is at all fun or especially interesting. Aging, the end of life, and the regret that accompanies these things are the book's central themes, and although a few of these stories were written while the author was still a young man, they nonetheless come across as insubstantial, dated, (especially in the pieces that deal with relationships), and overly sentimental - certainly not Bradbury at his best. Still, there are a few gems here for those who care to dig, most notably, "Where All Is Emptiness There Is Room To Move," "With Smiles As Wide As Summer," and the heartbreaking, "The Nineteenth," all of which move forward with humour and genuine emotion. For a similarly-themed story collection with sharper teeth, check out Harlan Ellison's 'Angry Candy.' ( )
  chimaeriste | Jan 19, 2009 |
A collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury, Recently published. Some of these stories were very good, but some seemed forced. Ray’s new stories seem to lack the balls and anger that his older work possessed. Still good, but not his best work. ( )
  burningtodd | Jun 11, 2008 |

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scobie, TrevorCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To DONALD HARKINS, dear friend, dearly remembered with love
This book is dedicated with love and gratitude to FORREST J. ACKERMAN, who took me out of high school and got me started on my writing career way back in 1937
First day: It was while he was eating breakfast that Charles Douglas glanced at his newspaper and saw the date.
Heart transplant: "Would I what?" he asked, in the dark, lying there easily, looking at the ceiling.
Quid pro quo: You do not build a Time Machine unless you know where you are going.
After the ball: Somewhere above the building whose flake-painted sign read MYRON'S BALLROOM the lights flickered as if to go out and a small orchestra of truly fragile size played "Good Night Ladies," and there was a murmur of regret and then a chorus of conversation and the rustle of bodies and shuffle of feet as shadows moved toward exits and the orchestra stopped and half the lights blinked and went out completely.
In memoriam: All the way home that late afternoon, driving through the winding streets, enjoying the weather, admiring the jacaranda trees and the violet snow they were letting down on the lawns, he noticed, but merely from the corner of his eyes, the apparatuses in front of almost every other garage.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061032034, Mass Market Paperback)

From Ray Bradbury, the recipient of the National Book Foundation's 2000 Medal comes a magical collection of short fiction.

Ray Bradbury is one of the most celebrated fiction writers of the 20th century. He is the author of such classics as Fahrenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man, Dandelion Wine, and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Bradbury has once again pulled together a stellar group of stories sure to delight readers young and old, old and new. In One More For The Road we are treated to the best this talented writer has to offer : the eerie and strange, nostalgic and bittersweet, searching and speculative. Here are a father's regrets, a lover's last embrace, a child's dreams of the future 栬l delivered with the trademark Bradbury wit and style.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:24 -0400)

Eerie and strange, nostalgic and bittersweet, searching and speculative, here are 25 stories: of a father's regrets, a lover's last embrace, a child's dreams of the future--delivered with Bradbury's wit and style. (Reprint) 0061032034. BRODART CO., c2003.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,027,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible