A Hollow Dream of Summer's End by Andrew Van…

A Hollow Dream of Summer's End (edition 2012)

by Andrew Van Wey

9None943,998 (4)1
Member:leesalogic
Title:A Hollow Dream of Summer's End
Authors:Andrew Van Wey
Info:Greywood Bay, (2012), Kindle Edition, 107 pages
Collections:Early Reviewers-Member Giveway-First Reads, eBook, Horror/Weird

A Hollow Dream of Summer's End by Andrew Van Wey

I received this book via Library Thing's Member Giveaways.

This is a terrifically scary book about three boys who are terrorized during a sleepover at the end of summer.

Hollow Dream is a short read, less than 100 pages. It is idyllic in that way that a kid's summer always is, with a little dash of growing pains, a whole lot of boys adventuring together, while insulting each other good naturedly along the way.

About halfway through, this book takes a terrifying turn, thrusting the boys in a horrifying situation.

This was a quick, easy, satisfying read, with enough twists to keep me engaged. I wouldn't necessarily call it a deep read, but there are enough existential questions raised to keep me thinking after the story is done. I would consider it suitable for middle grade readers (it is about 10-year-old boys, after all), but I tend to think kids can handle a thrilling scary story, so parents should read first to decide.

Van Wey wrote a good story. I would read more from this author. ETA: I also liked the cover art as well as the tree house art heading each chapter. ( )
  leesalogic | Nov 30, 2012 |
I will preface this review by stating I was given a free copy by the author for the purpose of reviewing it.

I loved the way the novella started out. From the first few pages I found myself transported back to childhood and the magic of the "last day of school". I experienced a vicarious pleasure in the description of the boys' various games, exploits and explorations, and was immediately immersed in their lives and their fun plans for the seemingly limitless summer ahead of them.

About halfway through the novela, the reader is introduced to the protagonist's father and his stepmother, and...the treehouse. The treehouse is very elaborate, complete with windows which open an close, and it sounds like a fantastic place for childhood adventures. When Aiden's (the protagonist) two friends see the place they are ecstatic about being able to stay in this wondrous place overnight. The sleepover begins with a game of laser tag, and things develop speedily from there.

From an idyllic sounding summer adventure, the story turns into a nightmare scenario, complete with a vividly described monster, the deterioration of the friends' relationship and what to me, was a surprise ending.

I enjoyed reading this up until the final few pages. The ended surprised and shocked me, and truth be told, was not the ending I had hoped for, but then I'm not the one who wrote the book so the ending wasn't up to me.

If you're a fan of dark horror stories, I think you will enjoy this, it will certainly keep you absorbed. ( )
1 vote thenightshadow | Sep 6, 2012 |

Andrew Van Wey is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,499,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible