The Cup and the Crown by Diane Stanley

The Cup and the Crown (edition 2012)

by Diane Stanley

Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:JFIC, fantasy, read december 2012

The Cup and the Crown by Diane Stanley

I liked the first book but wasn’t blown away by it. But the cover for this one was so pretty and in the end I decided to give it a chance. I’m glad I did, as a lot of my issues from the first book were cleared up. Molly continues to grow as a character and I like the surprising direction some of the plot lines go. ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
The Cup and the Crown by Diane Stanley is the sequel to The Silver Bowl. In this book, Molly, Tobias, and a few companions travel far from Westria in search of a Loving Cup -- one of the magical goblets created by Molly's grandfather. Their journey takes them to Harrowsgode, a secluded city that does not readily welcome visitors. Molly is obviously related to one of the city's leading families, so she and Tobias are permitted to enter . . . but leaving the city proves even more difficult. Will Molly and Tobias be able to find the cup -- and even if they do, will they be able to return with it to Westria?

This book has many of the same strengths and weaknesses as its predecessor. I enjoyed reading about Harrowsgode, and thought the setting was very rich. Many of the secondary characters, on the other hand, were fairly flat. The plot moves on relatively quickly, and it's not a long book. While I enjoyed reading it, I suspect that it will not stay in my memory for long. Readers of juvenile fantasy will find this a solid, though not particularly exciting, addition to the genre -- if you're interested, I do recommend reading The Silver Bowl first. ( )
  foggidawn | Jan 1, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061963216, Hardcover)

Night after night, Molly has visions of a beautiful goblet: one of her grandfather's loving cups, which he filled with magic that bound people together. So it hardly surprises Molly when handsome King Alaric asks her to find a loving cup to help him win the heart of the beautiful Princess of Cortova.

As Molly and her friends Winifred and Tobias journey far beyond the safe borders of Westria, a mysterious raven appears to guide their quest. It leads them through the rugged northlands and through the mountains to the hidden city of Harrowsgode. Molly discovers that although it's difficult to enter the city, it's even harder to leave. With the help of Tobias, a rat catcher named Richard, and her clever and devoted raven, Molly gains her own freedom in a most unexpected way and changes the city of Harrowsgode forever.

Master storyteller Diane Stanley returns to the intriguing world of The Silver Bowl to tell Molly's latest exciting adventure. The Cup and the Crown will be enjoyed by fans of Molly and by readers who are meeting this spirited heroine for the first time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:54 -0400)

Sequel to: The silver bowl. "At King Alaric's urging, Molly sets off on a quest for a magical loving cup (a goblet that binds people together), and her journey leads her to the hidden city of her ancestors, which proves to be as dangerous as it is mysterious"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,474,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible