Fully Alive: Lighten Up and Live - A Journey…

Fully Alive: Lighten Up and Live - A Journey that Will Change Your LIfe (edition 2012)

by Ken Davis

Member:cherylcope
Title:Fully Alive: Lighten Up and Live - A Journey that Will Change Your LIfe
Authors:Ken Davis
Info:Thomas Nelson (2012), Hardcover, 240 pages
Rating:***
Tags:christian, nonfiction

Fully Alive: Lighten Up and Live - A Journey that Will Change Your LIfe by Ken Davis

I’ve been a fan of Ken Davis for a while. I don’t mean I have really followed his career or anything, but years ago I picked up a cassette tape (remember those?) of a message he gave off the bargain rack at my local Christian bookstore. The message was called Super Sheep and despite not having heard it in years I remember the things Ken said, his depth and his humor. Okay, so I got one of those minds that actually remembers sermons (I’m a freak of nature) but you can ask my wife, she’s heard the tape and she remembers it too and she doesn’t have one of those minds. Later I found I video of his called A Wimpy Prophet, A Butane Bush and No Exuses on VHS (remember those?) which was also really funny and inspiring.

So when the opportunity to review this book came up I jumped at the chance and had them send me a print copy (remember those?) My previous experience with Ken Davis was with him as a speaker and he was dynamic with impeccable comedic timing. I wanted to see what kind of author he was and found this book inspiring. However I read the book way too fast so his comedic timing was all off. Well not totally, but this book seems to be a different animal than my previous exposure to Davis.

The book begins with the tale of a camping trip with his wife and grandchildren where his granddaughter Jaydn gets lost in the wilderness. Davis panics and the hunt for Jaydn begins. When a couple of hikers find Jaydn, her words to them is “My grandpa is lost.” This becomes a metaphor for Davis of the ways he’s let his life drift off purpose. When he sees a picture of himself at 240 lbs with his granddaughter at the beach, he exclaims, “Nooooo! Walking Manatee!!!” and begins the process of taking hold of his life and really living.

This is a book about not wasting your life by walking around like you are half dead. Davis encourages his readers to lose weight, get in shape, take risks, make deep friendships and care for your family and attend to spiritual health and our relationship with Jesus. What I liked about this book is Davis’s vulnerability with his own struggles through depression, struggle and self-doubt. He opens up about the struggles he has had to accept himself, but also shares the ’stakes in the ground’ in his life which have revealed to him all that he was meant to be.

I am a several years younger than Davis but I have had my own “Noooo! Manatee!” moment. When I graduated with my M.Div from Regent College it was the biggest academic and personal achievement of my adult life. I was proud of myself for finishing, but when I saw pictures of myself kneeling to receive my graduate hood, I saw that I weighed more than I ever have. And I felt terrible. I was slow, sluggish and had no energy. Within six months of that picture I had lost 50 lbs by running, swimming and watching my food intake. I have since gained some of that weight back (but no where near all), but some lifestyle changes I made were permanent and I have felt better for it.

Still, some of Davis’s exhortation to take risks and live life to the fullest speak to me. I have, as of yet, to find a ministry position (what I went to school for, and the calling and deep passion of my life). I am currently working at a hardware/animal supply store to pay the bills and provide for my family, but I am still feeling like my life is stuck and I am not doing what I was put on the earth to do. As I read Davis’s book I am encouraged and hunger for more out of life, and more of what God has for me.

I would describe this book as inspirational self-help. If you are in need of a gentle (but firm) swift kick in the rear, this might be a good book for you. If you feel like you are living life to the fullest, you might want to pass this by. When I mentioned Fully Alive’s contents to my wife she said, “I think we are already pretty much fully alive.” This is not a book for her. But if you look in the mirror and feel like you look dead and . . .well, manatee-ish, this may be the book for you. Or if you feel like you can’t do anything of value anymore because you are too old, Davis has lots to say to the old folks.

Thank you to Thomas Nelson for providing me with a copy of this book via Booksneeze in exchange for this fair and exceptional review. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Davis does his best to motivate his listeners to "put a stake in the ground" and make decisions that will change and transform their lives for the better. He discusses weight management, physical fitness, relationships, and growing in faith and shares several personal stories of how he was motivated to change in all these areas. I didn't find anything particularly earth shattering in his advice--it's the same sound advice you'd get from any number of experts. Fans of Davis and those needing a bit of motivation may find this interesting. ( )
  debs4jc | Dec 11, 2015 |
This book gave me mixed emotions in more than one way.

Overall, Fully Alive made me both cry and laugh out loud. I appreciate both reactions and felt especially pleased when I reminded myself that, laughter truly is good medicine.

Another reason I had mixed emotions was because for quite a while as I read through this book I thought I had been tricked or deceived into what it was all about—what the topic or category of book this was. All the summaries that I had read from the publisher about this book said nothing about weight loss or fitness. It isn’t the topic that got me upset. I love that topic, being a weight loss coach! It was that it was so unexpected, kind of stuck in there in the middle, and several chapters of it.
To read the rest of my review go here: http://www.cherylcope.com/book-review-fully-alive-by-ken-davis ( )
  cherylcope | Dec 17, 2012 |

St Ireneaus said, "The Glory of God is man fully alive. That's exactly how you were wired to live.  Yet sadness, depression, feelings of apathy and helplessness often characterize our lives. We survive but not thrive. This book is a treasure map that leads from monotony to adventure.  From boring mediocrity to thrilling risk. Here are detailed directions to take hold of the power to live the kind of life you were created for and your soul longs for. Fully Alive uncovers signs of life that lead to physical, mental, social and spiritual empowerment.
Discover the adventure hiding in the middle of the mundane. Exchange the pain of unmet expectations for the joy of living with expectancy. Get unstuck and take the first step that will lead to a new body, mind and spirit. Kick guilt to the curb and experience real freedom. Drive a stake into the heart of your everyday fears and live again. Tap into a power that will protect you whether you're crawling through the valley or standing on the mountain top
Henry David Thoreau is accredited with saying, "Most men live lives of quiet desperation." Not you! Not today! Not ever!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:20 -0400)

St. Ireneaus said, "The glory of God is man fully alive." That's exactly how you were wired to live. Yet sadness, depression, feelings of apathy and helplessness often characterize our lives. We survive but not thrive. This book is a treasure map that leads from monotony to adventure, from boring mediocrity to thrilling risk. Here are detailed directions to take hold of the power to live the kind of life you were created for and your soul longs for. Fully Alive uncovers signs of life that lead to physical, mental, social and spiritual empowerment.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,412,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible