The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes
2031357,794 (3.52)14

English (12)  Swedish (1)  All (13)
A fantasy caper story with an ensemble of various rogues. A lot of double-crossing going on, and the switches in PoV were distracting but I suppose made sense. Light.
  Maddz | Sep 24, 2017 |
This was fun! Very Ocean's Eleven-esque (if the movie had had magic, floating cities, ancient gods, and [literally] horny unicorns), lots of mom jokes, and double crossing of double-crossers. Immediately picked up the sequel. ( )
  willowsmom | Jan 4, 2017 |
A Job to Read- 2.5 stars...

I really thought I would like this story, but unfortunately, it just wasn't for me. To start off with, it was so hard for me to get into because there wasn't any character development, and believe me, there are a lot of characters. There also wasn't any background at the beginning of the story on the alternate world so I really felt lost most of the time. Then I found myself going back and rereading pages just to make sure I wasn't just missing something because the writing jumped around a lot. It really felt like this was the fourth or fifth book in the series instead of the first. Also, a lot of the dialogue was written to be humorous I think, but I didn't find it funny at all, but that might be because I just didn't get it. I finally ended up giving up on it about one-third of the way through.

**I received this ARC from NetGalley & Tyche Books in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
This book is for those people who enjoy being tricked by the author at every turn. That person is really someone else, someone isn't really dead, surprise, surprise, surprise. Once or twice is fine but twenty, thirty surprises grates on my nerves.

The story is kind of like an Ocean's Eleven story where one person gathers together a band of people with varying talents to attempt to steal something that is guarded by dwarven safes and magic of all kinds. Loch (Isafesira de Lochenville) is after an elven manuscript, an original copy of The Love Song of Eillenfiniel, stolen from her family by Archboyant Silestin who lives in a place called Heaven's
Spire. Her gang is made up of Magister Hessler ( and illusionist and expert in magical artifacts), Ululenia (a unicorn and shapeshifter), Icy Fist (a contortionist and acrobat), Tern ( a lock-man and tinker), Sister Desidora (a death priestess) and Dairy (a young man with hidden abilities who tags along for the ride).

One of the things that is frequently featured and also appears in movie scripts with archvillans and superheroes, is the long drawn-out explanation of why one person is killing another. You just know that this is killing time until someone comes to save the day or time clicks down on a bomb or whatever happens to thwart their plan. And this happens over and over again.

I have the second two books of the series on my Kindle but I kind of doubt I'll be reading them. They had very promising descriptions but they were not my cup of tea. ( )
  mamzel | Jul 6, 2016 |
What a fantastic story. All the details that went into it. ( )
  magickislife | Jun 27, 2016 |
For the Damsel, whose love, humor, and compassion made me a better man: Thank you for helping me take pride in making people laugh.
The rulers of the Republic lived atop the great flying city of Heaven'ts Spire, their magnificent palaces soaring above the world.

"The plan: to steal a priceless elven manuscript that once belonged to her family, but is now in the hands of the most powerful man in the Republic. To do so Loch - former soldier, former prisoner, current fugitive - must assemble a crack team of magical misfits that includes a cynical illusionist, a shapeshifting unicorn, a pepentant death priestess, a talking magical warhammer, and a lad with seemingly no skills to help her break into the flying fortress of Heaven's Spire and the vault that holds her family's treasure - all while eluding the unrelenting pursuit of Justicar Pyvic, whose only mission is to see the law upheld. What could possibly go wrong?" -- Back cover.… (more)

Tyche Books

An edition of this book was published by Tyche Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible