An Amish Gift: A Novel by Cynthia Keller

An Amish Gift: A Novel

by Cynthia Keller

“An Amish Gift” by Cynthia Keller is a wonderful Christmas book. It’s the story of a down-on-their-luck English family who inherits a home and business in Lancaster Pennsylvania. Their troubles have led to disillusionment and distress among the family members. Shep, the husband, forbids Jennie, his wife, from helping bring in money for the family even though they are floundering. Tim and Willa, the kids, are sassy mouthed and ill-behaved. When the family befriends their Amish neighbors, the Fishers, their home life gradually becomes more civilized and happy. When Jennie finds a business that she can run, with the help of her family, things look up for them.

This is a story of how the hectic, material pace of the world can be tempered by the easy, but work-filled way of the Amish.

I really liked this story. It was a good read for me at Christmas when the material world collides with the religious world and we all seek a peace that is elusive for the most part for many of us.

I received a free print copy of this book for my honest review from the publisher. The opinions expressed here are my own.

You can view my review on my blog at http://wp.me/p2pjIt-3K
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
This was a great book loved it! ( )
  RebeccaRoupp | May 22, 2013 |
Author: Cynthia Keller
Published by: Ballantine Books
Age Recommended: YA - Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Book Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 5

Review:

"An Amish Gift" by Cynthia Keller was a good novel It really was just a great, short, sweet, feel-good book to read especially during this blessed holiday. "It was definitely a reminder of what is really important during the holidays." We find that this story is of the 'Davis Family' which consisted of Jeannie (mom), Shep (dad) Tim, Willa (the children) and Scout(the dog). We will travel through two different Christmas's with this family where the first Christmas was one full of sadness, bitterness and much anger. As the story moves along we now find that the Davis Family has moved due to an inheritance. They thought this was a good move due to the fact that Shep has lost his job and their finances were nearly in bankruptcy. Maybe a new start in a new place would be great but upon on arriving the 'new house' and Shep's new job a lots of TLC was needed.

You can see in the read that "Jennie was holding the family together with a string and a prayer." "When the family befriends their Amish neighbors, the Fishers, their home life gradually becomes more civilized and happy." "When Jennie finds a business that she can run, with the help of her family, things look up for them." Now, this is the time that I will say you must pick up the excellent read to see how the author gets the reader through this storm for the Davis's. It will be a bumpy ride but in the end...well you will see.

"An Amish Gift" was a good clean book even with some Bible references in it that wasn't overly done. It was interesting to see the 'Davis Family' actually were learning from their Amish neighbors. So, if you are interested in a good clean read that could be read any time...not only at Christmas...I would recommend "An Amish Gift" novel to you. ( )
  arlenadean | Apr 5, 2013 |
What an entertaining book...I read it in one afternoon. The story begins with what is a new beginning for the Davis familly..Jennie, Shep, Tim, Willa and their dog Scout. Can you imagine a relative you have never heard of leaving you their home, and business?
What we soon discover is that both the house and business need a lot of TLC. On several walks with Scout, Jennie meets an Amish family, first Mattie Fisher, and then the whole family and extended.
We travel through two Christmas's with the Davis Family, on the first there is so much anger and bitterness. As we travel along the next year, something changes.
What an enjoyable read between the two cultures. Yes there are differences, but there are also many of the same problems. We see how things are handled within each family, and we come to love them all.
A really different story of Amish books...I for one Loved it, and didn't want it to end!

I was provided with a copy of this book through the Publisher Random House, and Net Galley, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Dec 2, 2012 |

From the author of An Amish Christmas and A Plain & Fancy Christmas comes a heartwarming novel of marriage and family, new beginnings and poignant homecomings—just in time for the holidays.

After her husband, Shep, loses his latest job, Jennie Davis is grateful to be in a car en route to beautiful Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Shep has inherited a house from a distant cousin, along with the cousin’s long-established bicycle shop. The move gives Jennie, Shep, and their two children a welcome chance for a fresh start.

While Shep dives into his new venture at the bike shop, Jennie carefully restores their broken-down house. She loves being a stay-at-home mom but yearns to find some fulfillment outside of her family—particularly as they struggle financially. On morning walks, she forges a friendship with her Amish neighbor, Mattie Fisher, who opens up about her modest way of life. Mattie’s unswerving good character in the face of adversity encourages Jennie to seek practical solutions to her own difficulties. A passing remark by Jennie’s son transforms desperation about their finances into inspiration, leading her to embark upon a candy-making enterprise.

Soon, Jennie’s newfound purpose collides with Shep’s growing stress at work and long-simmering tensions between husband and wife rise to the surface. As the holiday season approaches, their family is challenged as never before—until an unexpected visitor arrives to give Jennie the greatest gift of all.

Praise for Cynthia Keller’s heartwarming Amish novels

An Amish Christmas

“This little book is a holiday charmer young and old will find appealing.”—Fredericksburg Free Lance–Star

“[A] sweet, poignant story.”—USA Today

A Plain & Fancy Christmas

“[This novel] does what a good holiday tale should; it invites readers to turn off the cellphone and television and wrap themselves up in a warm, compelling story.”—Lincoln Journal Star

“A wonderful read for the Christmas season.”—FaithfulNews

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:34 -0400)

After her husband, Shep, loses his latest job, he inherits a house, along with a long-established bicycle shop. The move gives Jennie, Shep, and their children a chance for a fresh start. While Shep dives into his new venture at the bike shop, Jennie loves being a stay-at-home mom but yearns to find some fulfillment outside of her family-- particularly as they struggle financially. She embarks on a candy-making enterprise, but as the holiday season approaches long-simmering tensions between husband and wife rise to the surface.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,924,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible