Forbidden by ABBIE WILLIAMS

by ABBIE WILLIAMS

113,689,591 (3)None
Recently added bystorywings

No tags.

Forbidden was a love hate relationship for me from beginning to end.

Matthew and Bryce didn’t know they were related when they shared a night of passion after a chance meeting at a party. But when Bryce is called to her grandfather’s funeral, a grandfather she can’t even remember meeting because her mother hasn’t had contact with the family since before she was born, she soon realises her mistake.

I started out really excited to read Forbidden, it was a book that as soon as I saw the cover, as soon as I knew I had it in my possession, I just had to read it. The beginning was fantastic, if a little cheesy with the “I can’t believe how strongly I feel for you. Quick, lets root!” approach.

As I was wondering at the possibilities of where this storyline could possibly go, relishing the irreconcilable fact that these two characters were related and even more horrible, they found out after sleeping together, the very next page confirmed that they weren’t blood relations because of a secret kept for years. Matthew and Bryce don’t know that, but we do.

At that point I felt really let down; I had been given a book that told me it was about incest. I was mentally prepared for that kind of a story, a love that really can never happen, a love that tears your very moral standing in two because you kind of wish it could. I had to walk away for a while.

Then I found a new aspect to be interested in, the family history. It was fairly obvious what the secrets being kept were, but I was fascinated by the drama none-the-less. It was during this time that I started becoming interested in Bryce and Matthew once again because even though they thought they were related, they just couldn’t help themselves.

As invested in what I ended up being in Forbidden I still felt let down, it felt like Williams didn’t put in the effort to even try and keep the characters apart, she already knew the end so why make them suffer in the middle.

After I got over my disappointment I really did love Matthew and Bryce together although I didn’t love their relationship, it was too quick and too insubstantial. We had a constant comparison to Bryce’s uncle (her real one) and his wife, how deep their connection truly was because above all they were friends on top of being in love. Bryce and Matthew just didn’t have time to create that connection and it’s a let-down for me, declaring your love for someone you’ve known for all of six days isn’t love. It was through this shallow relationship and the almost laughable epilogue that left me on a low after at times really enjoying this book.

By the end my disappointment about the genre had faded, but I was left with a lingering disappointment about the ending of this book and the under-developed relationship of the characters. Not under-developed writing-wise as the writing itself was amazing, Williams had my attention and at times my heart from the moment I entered the world she created, this type of relationship, quick and shallow, just doesn’t do it for me.

Forbidden was a well-written, at times heart-wrenching but ultimately lukewarm read for me. I was very high and low with this book, but ultimately as much as what I may have enjoyed it, it ended on a low and it tainted the good aspects of it.

Find this review at storywings.com ( )
  storywings | Aug 17, 2012 |

At 20, Bryce Mitchell is no stranger to hardship, raised by an unloving mother with a terrible secret. But when she meets Matthew Sternhagen, it seems as though life may be offering her a second chance. She is inexplicably drawn to gorgeous, sensitive Matthew on the humid June night they meet. Despite the fact that they are total strangers, they come to realize one absolute truth: They are meant for one another. There is only one problem: Matthew is Bryce's half-uncle, a man her mother never told her about. Will the truth of their relationship be enough to stop their forbidden love? Or will long-buried secrets ruin their chances forever?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,194,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible