To Catch a Bad Guy (Janet Maple #1) by Marie…

To Catch a Bad Guy (Janet Maple #1)

by Marie Astor

Free e-reader book. Worth the price. ( )
  bookczuk | Feb 8, 2017 |
A nice easy read romance/ mystery that is set in the finance world of New York. I was expecting more of an involvement with a clever dog, as the cover suggests, the dog was not involved all, so the cover is a little misleading. However, a good summer beach book. Well written although I found the formatting a little irritating with large indents ( including dialogue indents) and paragraph spacing. Would recommend this book to those who like the chase of a sweet romance, with a little mystery on the side.
  allysonrabbott | Jul 24, 2015 |
A whole lot of tell and not much show. Still, a perfectly okay albeit fluffy read. Perfect for a sick day in bed when you can't concentrate much :) ( )
  Ms_Kasia | Oct 3, 2014 |
Janet Maple had just lost her boyfriend of five years and her job as an Assistant District Attorney’s office. Lisa, a childhood friend, got her a job as an Assistant General Counsel at her boyfriend Paul’s family investment firm. The change meant a large bump in her salary and less work. But she hadn’t been there very long before she began to have doubts about the company’s financial dealings.

She tried to talk to Lisa, who was her boss, but Lisa’s personal life took priority. She was trying to land Paul so she could quit working and become a society matron.

She keeps meeting Dean, who is ostensibly working in the IT department but, as we learned from his first appearance, is really working undercover for the US Government trying to unmask the company’s financial dealings.

The villain was revealed quite early. Jon, Paul’s brother and the one running the company, only wants one thing: More. More money. More houses. More power. Fed up with his father’s philosophy, he had decided to cut corners and stretch the boundaries between legal and illegal actions.

The TO CATCH A BAD GUY follows the steps taken by Janet and Dean as they work towards accomplishing their missions. That part of the story is fairly straight forward and obvious. Much of the story is, I hope, unrealistic and reads more like a fairy tale. Janet and Lisa are both highly educated women. Lisa is looking for a rich prince to carry her off so she doesn’t have to work any more. She assumes that Janet wants the same thing. Janet, however, is overly fixated on the way a man looks rather than on whether they would be compatible. I hope today’s young women are beyond that.

There was too much repetition of Janet losing her previous job, Janet is too naive at times and Jon's wife is unreal.

The book was a free Amazon download. ( )
  Judiex | Mar 1, 2014 |
To Catch a Bad Guy by Marie Astor

So, I like to look at the reviews before I decide on a book. It really helps when there are more than a handful of bad reviews. I suppose there must be some thing odd about admitting that I took a closer look at this book because it had such bad reviews. But, really, I'm not sure I would have read the sample without that bit of discouragement. It didn't work out poorly either. I liked the bit that was there and I picked it up for my kindle. Besides the bad reviews were only 25% of the whole.

Usually I recall seeing people start out with, I picked this up because with all the good reviews I thought I'd have to love it. Then there's at least one more sentence to explain how horrible it was.

I usually don't pick up a book by its cover but this is what caught my eye. Who can't resist the terrier with the pencil in its mouth.

So, like everyone else I was disappointed by being misled. Oh, there is a dog, and it plays some small part but really I was hoping it was going to help solve the case. But, that's the other problem. Hmm, The case.

Okay, I must agree with some others this is not a romance and this is not a mystery. It's almost a white collar crime novel. There is just a hint of romance but it just doesn't quite take off. So, that would qualify, at best as a tease.

Let's get to what it is:

It is good writing with solid editing and consistent plot and characters. The characters have flaws, yes, don't we all. Maybe this could be considered satire if you consider the complaints about the characters being wrong for their perceived intellectual level. If I were to complain my one complaint would be that the portrayal of women in this book, professional women, seems a few years backwards yet. I'm wishfully hoping that the educated women are not so shallow as to be using that education just to land a good husband so they can kick up their heels. But, that's just one character. The other just seems to have this blind-spot toward, well a lot of things including the man who might really be interested in her.

Dennis Walker aka Dean Snider seems your regular guy who's been caught up into the white collar intrigue by his own accidental venture into the criminal end. He's fully aware of he possibility of being innocent while yet nearly being proven guilty and should have some sympathy for some of the people he has to set up.

This is where the major conflict for this story comes from and this white collar crime thing goes deeper than the surface area that this novel touches so it's almost understandable that it comes off as just a bit blase at the end. The reason that Janet has ended up in the situations she is in has something that remotely intersects with the matter at hand and her own expertise in the field is what brings her and Dennis together and create those teasing little sparks that I suspect will go on into the next novel.

So, while this is not a satisfying romance nor a deep convoluted mystery to thrill the reader it is an entertaining read about a couple of people trying to stay within the law and catch the ones who have stepped over the line while trying to clear their own names and reputations.

It's more than that though because this type of crime seems conducive to creation of characters that have stepped over the line who are otherwise likable and who you almost might feel sorry for.

Almost.

This is a great read for anyone looking for light entertainment. The crime is mostly out there to see without a lot of deduction so it's mostly a matter of how are we going to sink our teeth into these guys kind of story. I look forward to reading more and hope the terrier has a bigger part next time. Hmm, maybe he's just the 'cover' story.

J.L. Dobias ( )
  JLDobias | Nov 10, 2013 |

Janet Maple's stellar career ended with a layoff and her boyfriend of almost five years told her that he wants to be just friends. When she lands a job at one of New York's premier boutique investment firms, Janet begins to hope that her luck is finally turning for the better. Not only is she happy with her new paycheck, but things also seem to be looking up on the personal front, as the company's handsome attorney expresses keen interest in Janet. However, her euphoria is short-lived, as Janet soon discovers alarming facts about her new employer's business tactics. When her boss dismisses her suspicions as groundless, Janet finds herself confiding to a cute IT engineer, Dean Snider. The closer she gets to Dean, the more Janet is tempted to break her rule of not dating co-workers, but what she doesn't realize is that everything she knows about Dean, including his occupation and even his name, is a lie.

Dennis Walker is a top-notch white collar crime investigator who will stop at nothing to put culprits away. When an opportunity for an undercover assignment at one of New York's premier boutique broker dealers comes up, Dennis jumps at the chance, adopting a persona of geeky IT engineer, Dean Snider. While he may be an ace at his job, years of experience fail him when Dennis meets Janet Maple and finds himself torn between his professional obligations and his personal desires. Will he have to choose between his feelings and duty, or will he find a way to satisfy both?

[retrieved 1/14/2014 from Amazon.com]

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,104,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible