Food Family Style: Simple and Tasty Recipes…

Food Family Style: Simple and Tasty Recipes for Everyday Life

by Leigh Vickery

142683,257 (5)None

I have really enjoyed devouring this great cook book. Although the book is written for MOPS [Mother's of Preschoolers]...I do not qualify for that category...although we do have in our home, a five year old starting school this year, but he is my Grandson!
When I was getting married my Hubby was really worried...I did not know how to cook. My Mom never wanted us to mess up the kitchen. He did say during our marriage that he never had a bad meal, and he always told me that everything I made was great!
I love in the first part of this book is a section devoted to "kids in the kitchen". There are a lot of good prior to starting safety tips! Continuing on our Seven year old has made and enjoyed the Two Cheese Quesadillas...yummy and so satisfying for him to accomplish.
The book does include a section on Table Talk...so important to shut off the world and just have some family time.
There are so many great recipes in here...one of our favorites so far is in the Dessert Section...Apple Crumb Pie with Cinnamon Cream Sauce, it is to die for!
We have tried a few of the other recipes in here and have not been disappointed. The only criticism is the fact that it is missing pictures of the finished product.

I received this book from Revell Publishing and was not required to give a positive review ( )
  alekee | Aug 18, 2012 |
Food Family Style is primarily a cookbook written for MOPS, which turns out to be Moms of Preschoolers. It's been years since I was a MOP; now I'm a GOB (Grandmother of Baby). But GOBs have to eat, too, so I happily agreed to review this cookbook. I assumed that any cookbook written for mothers (I cannot continue to say MOPs) would contain easy recipes with normal ingredients and I was not disappointed. Just because we're slightly middle-aged doesn't mean that we've developed into the Galloping Gourmet and Julia Child. As the principle cook in the house, I still appreciate simple recipes, and as the wife of a veggie-hater (apparently some people never outgrow that) I am always on the outlook for ways to slip those veggies over on him. To be honest, cooking for my husband is like cooking for a gray-haired five-year old. But enough about us. On to the cookbook!
Chapters included are:

Proportion Distortion
Desserts
Menus for Special Occasions
Back to Basics

We sampled several recipes and loved all of them. Now, this cookbook does not have pictures, and neither does my review, and I suspect it's for the same reason. These recipes, while very good, are not what I consider Kodak moments. Some foods just don't "snap" well. They're real foods for real people. I consider that a compliment, BTW.
One of the first recipes we tried was the Cajun Pork Chops on p. 174. Very good, very simple, and the really cool thing is the note that says the seasoning is also great for fish fillets.
With the chops, I served the Bacon Squash Saute on p. 196. Summer squash is one of my favorite vegetables, and really, who doesn't love bacon?!? Enough said.
From there, we went to the Honey-Lemonade Chicken on p. 135. It tasted good, but Jorge wanted it to "look" different. I don't know; I'll play with that one until it looks to suit him, because it was SUPER easy. HINT: I used Wal-Mart's Great Value brand frozen lemonade concentrate to cut costs.
With the chicken, we had the Easy Green Beans on p. 202. This was a winner because Jorge doesn't like green beans, and he ate them happily. So, if you have a picky five year-old or a middle-aged man with a bad diet, bookmark this page.
And last but certainly not least, my absolute favorite vegetable is asparagus. So, when I saw the recipe on p. 210 for Roasted Balsamic Asparagus, I had to try it. I'm going to post it here, as a teaser for the book.

ROASTED BALSAMIC ASPARAGUS

1 lb. fresh asparagus, cleaned and trimmed

4 tsp. olive oil

1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a large baking sheet with foil and arrange asparagus in a single layer on the sheet. Drizzle olive oil over asparagus and roll gently to coat. Roast for 15-20 minutes, until tender. Toss roasted asparagus with balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper; serve immediately. Serves 6.

Can you tell I loved reviewing this cookbook? It's 5 stars, or 5 wooden spoons, or something like that.

“Available August 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Revell. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. ( )
  Tammy.Ford.Cuevas | Aug 17, 2012 |

In a time when the family meal is increasingly losing out to music lessons, sports practices, and the general busyness of life, it's time to rediscover the joys of cooking and eating together as a family. Time may be short and budgets may be tight, but these 365 mouthwatering recipes are sure to draw families into the kitchen and around the table day after day. From tasty breakfasts, soups, and salads to sumptuous main dishes and desserts, Food Family Style delivers just what readers' families ordered.

Throughout the book are symbols indicating recipes that double easily, freeze well, are gluten-free or vegetarian, can be made in a slow cooker, and more. And since there's more to mealtime than just the food, this innovative book also includes tips about how to involve kids in meal preparation, meaningful conversation starters, and simple ideas to bring warmth to your home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:14 -0400)

365 simple and tasty recipes guaranteed to satisfy the whole family even when time is short and budgets are tight.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,853,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible