The Abominables by Eva Ibbotson

The Abominables (edition 2012)

by Eva Ibbotson, Sharon Rentta (Illustrator)

Title:The Abominables
Authors:Eva Ibbotson
Other authors:Sharon Rentta (Illustrator)
Info:Marion Lloyd Books (2012), Hardcover

The Abominables by Eva Ibbotson

A sweet story about sweet yetis brought up by the young daughter of a Victorian botanist who was collecting rare plants in the Himalayas. Lady Agatha taught them to be well-mannered and thoughtful. It paid off when, fleeing tourists, they had an adventurous journey from the Himalayas to her manor home in England. Did you know the reason a yeti hasn't been discovered is because their feet are on backwards? Their footsteps take the tracker in the opposite direction. ( )
  VivienneR | Oct 11, 2015 |
Eva Ibbotson, with her idiosyncratic style of humor, centers her story The Abominables around a family of abominable snowmen--trained in English manners--who migrate to England, while hiding in a refrigerated truck. That's your plot synopsis. Let your imagination run wild--Eva will surprise you. Highly entertaining for all ages, but only if you have a sense of humor. ( )
  jjvors | Apr 15, 2015 |
I received The Abonimables at BEA 2013 and I am sad to say that many of the books I received are still in my TBR pile – I went a bit overboard… Anywho, this book was very cute. I had not heard of Eva Ibbotson before this book, but she was a beautiful writer of whimsy. She took a surreal topic and although far-fetched made it seem possible. In the book we meet Lady Agatha, a young girl kidnapped by a yeti. She lives with them and raises the children, teaches them all sorts of things, and when marketing and development start to take over their homestead she decides that they should move to her old home in England, the Farley Towers.

The book is filled with illustrations and because I only had an ARC some were even just the rough sketches, I am told that the released book has these in full color and I bet that they are adorable. I pictures were a wonderful addition to the story – they really captured what I was seeing in my head as I was reading the tale and those types of images are always the best.

Ibbotson’s tale is a fun-filled adventure for young readers with learning embedded throughout on their journey from the Himalayas to England. This was a very easy read and I think both boys and girls will enjoy it. Amulet markets it for ages 8-12 but if read a loud I think younger audiences can enjoy as well. ( )
  sszkutak | Jun 26, 2014 |
A century after a yeti captures Lady Agatha Farlingham and takes her to a hidden valley to raise his motherless children, tourism threatens their peaceful existence and young Con and Ellen take these educated and civilized yetis across Europe to Lady Agatha's home in England. ( )
  paula-childrenslib | Mar 19, 2014 |
Another highly enjoyable book by Eva Ibbotson. A family of Yetis needs a mother, so the father takes a young girl, named Lady Agatha, from her tent. When she sees how much she's needed, she happily settles in with them and teaches them all sorts of things, most notably manners and English. Long story short, she eventually convinces two children to take them to her family's estate in England because she is too old to care for them. The trip to England and what awaits them is entertaining. Ibbotson also slips in a few moral issues in her light manner. ( )
  ChristianR | Feb 22, 2014 |

Eva Ibbotsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rentta, SharonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
About a hundred years ago something dreadful happened in the mountains near Tibet.

A hundred years ago, in the Himalayan peaks of Nanvi Dar, the daughter of an English earl is kidnapped by a huge hairy monster. In a secret valley Agatha Farlingham is introduced to a family of motherless yetis and devotes her life to their upbringing. She teaches them to speak, tells them stories and insists on polite manners. But as the decades pass, tourists come to the mountains, a hotel is built and yeti-hunters arrive. Agatha knows that there is one place in the world where they would be protected - her ancestral home at Farley Towers. When a boy and his sister stumble upon her hidden valley, she knows she has found the courageous people who will carry out her plan The excited yetis are smuggled into the bridal suite at the hotel. A freezer lorry is waiting to put them into semi-hibernation on the long trip home. But the baby yak that has fallen in love with the youngest yeti foils the refrigeration plan and they set off on a hugely entertaining road trip half way across the world. In the Sultan of Aslerfan's kingdom the yetis release all the animals from his zoo. In the Alps they rescue a lost child in a blizzard. In Spain, the yak creates chaos at a bullfight. But when they arrive in England, a terrible shock awaits them at Farley ...

A century after a yeti captures Lady Agatha Farlingham and takes her to a hidden valley to raise his motherless children, tourism threatens their peaceful existence and young Con and Ellen take these educated and civilized yetis across Europe to Lady Agatha's home in England.… (more)

7 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,884,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible