Clutch by J.A. Huss

**No spoilers.

3.5 Stars

This one isn’t going to be easy to review. I’m torn. I had a hard time deciding on whether to round up to 4 stars or down to 3. I ended up on 4, because I felt the story was unique enough to stand out. On the one hand, I liked the MC, the world is unique, and there are many twists and turns to the story. On the other hand, there were very long periods of info-dumping via long, boring conversations.

Junco Coots, aka Whosoever-named-me-fuckin-hated-me, is one kickass MC. She’s a foulmouthed smartass who is trained to kill and she doesn’t take names. She reminded me of myself, actually, phenom sniper that I am, with her “wtf’s” and “fuck this shit’s”. I don’t shy away from colorful language and so, I wasn’t perturbed by hers at all. Rather, I was amused. If you’re a sensitive fuckin flower, though, you’d best stay away from this one, lest it make your virgin eyes bleed.

So yeah, Junco Coots or Junco Scoots, as my eyeballs like to read it (immature snicker), is pretty badass. She seemed older than her 19 years, undoubtedly due to the fact that this is a NA and not a YA. There's no corny teenage angst, no typical love triangle, and no insta-love. Though I did feel that Junco's feelings for Tier, the male lead, progressed a little quickly, it wasn't instant and it wasn't love. She also wasn't a Mary Sue. She's a hothead, but that's better than being a wet blanket or a doormat. She's had a rough past and on two occasions I teared up. I really wasn't expecting that. Despite the infodumps and the long lulls in between the heart pounding action, I definitely grew to care about Junco. It was hard not to, because her circumstances kept changing via twists and turns and never for the better.

Tier was pretty hot. One thing I enjoyed immensely was the rapport he and Junco developed while they were on the run. While the long convos about what was happening to Junco were super-boring, their personal convos in getting to know each other were sweet and fun to read. Junco liked him, but she wasn’t so easily swayed that she fell at his feet. She felt more than I would have thought she would so quickly, but she managed to hold her cards fairly close to her chest. Tier made a concerted effort to get Junco to trust him, which, given his role in the story, wasn’t easy. There’s a lot we still don’t know about his past or where he came from and I’m looking forward to learning more in book #2, which many have said was a much better read.

I’m giving this 3.5 stars, because in between the major twists (that blew my mind on more than one occasion), there was just waaaay too much talk in this book. Numerous characters spent a lot of time dumping info on Junco in between very action-packed scenes and I found it jarred me out of my riveted state. Huss did manage to throw me for a loop time and again, but I’d rather a lot of things had played out, rather than have been spelled out. I’ll definitely be reading [b:Fledge|15764009|Fledge (I Am Just Junco, #2)|J.A. Huss|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1363477917s/15764009.jpg|21466525].

For more of my reviews, visit my blog:

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Although this book was more violent than what I normally read, the descriptions were not overly graphic. This is the type of novel that you just can't put down because it's so fast-paced and contains so many twists and turns that you just have to keep going. I would definitely recommend it to sci-fi fans. ( )
  madamediotte | Jul 2, 2013 |
Junco Coot lives in a future version of Earth, where there are humans and the alien Avians, who are on Earth to reclaim something stolen from them long ago.

Junco is a fascinating character, a real tough girl with pretty outstanding military training. She may be the best sniper in her Rural Republic if not even more of the world than just her country. And to confuse matters, she is also a World Champion Aerialist a few times over.

After her father's death everything in Junco's world unravels and all she thought she knew to be true is being called into question. Junco will have to make some serious decisions on limited information without really knowing which sources are the accurate & honest ones.

J. A. Huss has crafted an interesting world that is futuristic and yet still recognizable, as are her characters, which is a real feat since some are human and some are alien. This first book in the series certainly pulls you in and I plan to read the rest of the series all in a row, and hopefully won't have to wait too long for the newest book to come out. ( )
  Isisunit | May 2, 2013 |
Clutch was a quick and interesting read. I have read a lot of science fiction, and this book was good, and worth reading, but not hugely different from other books I've read.
I originally thought it was intended for young teenagers and the like, but there was a fair amount of swearing.
Give it a try if you like science fiction.
  nlsings | Dec 7, 2012 |
i really enjoyed this book. it really made you feel where you were. it was a very strong female character. you could really feel her and where she was coming from. i had a little trouble reading this book but only because i couldn't get my ereader to make the print big enough lol. really quite good, can't wait to read the next one in the series. ( )
  krushkelsey | Oct 28, 2012 |

In 2152 the avian race is on Earth looking for something stolen from them decades ago – their genetics. At the center of the search lies the Rural Republic; a small backwards farming country with high hopes of military domination and a penchant for illegal bioengineering.

19 year old Junco Coot is the daughter of the Rural Republic’s ranking commander. She’s the most foul-mouthed, wildly unpredictable and ruthless sniper the Rural Republic has ever trained. But when her father’s death sparks a trip into forbidden places, she triggers events that will change everything she knows to be true.

As an elite avian military officer, Tier’s mission is to destroy the bioengineering projects, kill Commander Coot’s daughter, and return home immediately. There’s just one problem. Junco isn’t who she claims to be.

With no one to trust, not even herself, Junco must confront the secrets of her past and accept her place in the future, or risk losing herself completely.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible