Clutch by J.A. Huss
34None327,195 (3.55)None

Although this book was more violent than what I normally read, the descriptions were not overly graphic. This is the type of novel that you just can't put down because it's so fast-paced and contains so many twists and turns that you just have to keep going. I would definitely recommend it to sci-fi fans. ( )
  madamediotte | Jul 2, 2013 |
Junco Coot lives in a future version of Earth, where there are humans and the alien Avians, who are on Earth to reclaim something stolen from them long ago.

Junco is a fascinating character, a real tough girl with pretty outstanding military training. She may be the best sniper in her Rural Republic if not even more of the world than just her country. And to confuse matters, she is also a World Champion Aerialist a few times over.

After her father's death everything in Junco's world unravels and all she thought she knew to be true is being called into question. Junco will have to make some serious decisions on limited information without really knowing which sources are the accurate & honest ones.

J. A. Huss has crafted an interesting world that is futuristic and yet still recognizable, as are her characters, which is a real feat since some are human and some are alien. This first book in the series certainly pulls you in and I plan to read the rest of the series all in a row, and hopefully won't have to wait too long for the newest book to come out. ( )
  Isisunit | May 2, 2013 |
I have to admit that I wasn't sure exactly what to expect with Clutch. The cover and story blurb captured my interest so I was willing to give it a try. Clutch turned out to be a great read that captured my interest from the beginning and never let go. I had to keep turning the pages to see what would happen next. Now I haven't read a lot of sci-fi so I had a little trouble with some of the world building but that was on me for my inexperience and not on the author. Regardless I really enjoyed the book and am anxious to continue with the series. Huss delivers an engaging tale full of many twists and turns as well as a unforgettable leading heroine. Overall this was a great read that I would definitely recommend. ( )
  Sable677 | Apr 24, 2013 |
Clutch was a quick and interesting read. I have read a lot of science fiction, and this book was good, and worth reading, but not hugely different from other books I've read.
I originally thought it was intended for young teenagers and the like, but there was a fair amount of swearing.
Give it a try if you like science fiction.
  nlsings | Dec 7, 2012 |
i really enjoyed this book. it really made you feel where you were. it was a very strong female character. you could really feel her and where she was coming from. i had a little trouble reading this book but only because i couldn't get my ereader to make the print big enough lol. really quite good, can't wait to read the next one in the series. ( )
  krushkelsey | Oct 28, 2012 |

In 2152 the avian race is on Earth looking for something stolen from them decades ago – their genetics. At the center of the search lies the Rural Republic; a small backwards farming country with high hopes of military domination and a penchant for illegal bioengineering.

19 year old Junco Coot is the daughter of the Rural Republic’s ranking commander. She’s the most foul-mouthed, wildly unpredictable and ruthless sniper the Rural Republic has ever trained. But when her father’s death sparks a trip into forbidden places, she triggers events that will change everything she knows to be true.

As an elite avian military officer, Tier’s mission is to destroy the bioengineering projects, kill Commander Coot’s daughter, and return home immediately. There’s just one problem. Junco isn’t who she claims to be.

With no one to trust, not even herself, Junco must confront the secrets of her past and accept her place in the future, or risk losing herself completely.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible