Clutch by J.A. Huss

Although this book was more violent than what I normally read, the descriptions were not overly graphic. This is the type of novel that you just can't put down because it's so fast-paced and contains so many twists and turns that you just have to keep going. I would definitely recommend it to sci-fi fans. ( )
  madamediotte | Jul 2, 2013 |
Junco Coot lives in a future version of Earth, where there are humans and the alien Avians, who are on Earth to reclaim something stolen from them long ago.

Junco is a fascinating character, a real tough girl with pretty outstanding military training. She may be the best sniper in her Rural Republic if not even more of the world than just her country. And to confuse matters, she is also a World Champion Aerialist a few times over.

After her father's death everything in Junco's world unravels and all she thought she knew to be true is being called into question. Junco will have to make some serious decisions on limited information without really knowing which sources are the accurate & honest ones.

J. A. Huss has crafted an interesting world that is futuristic and yet still recognizable, as are her characters, which is a real feat since some are human and some are alien. This first book in the series certainly pulls you in and I plan to read the rest of the series all in a row, and hopefully won't have to wait too long for the newest book to come out. ( )
  Isisunit | May 2, 2013 |
Clutch was a quick and interesting read. I have read a lot of science fiction, and this book was good, and worth reading, but not hugely different from other books I've read.
I originally thought it was intended for young teenagers and the like, but there was a fair amount of swearing.
Give it a try if you like science fiction.
  nlsings | Dec 7, 2012 |
i really enjoyed this book. it really made you feel where you were. it was a very strong female character. you could really feel her and where she was coming from. i had a little trouble reading this book but only because i couldn't get my ereader to make the print big enough lol. really quite good, can't wait to read the next one in the series. ( )
  krushkelsey | Oct 28, 2012 |
Clutch was a fairly quick read, once I got into it. The story was ok, but there was a lot of the plot I just didn't get.

I'd have to say that some of Junco Coot's actions didn't jibe with what I understood of her character. She did one thing in one scene, then turned around and did the opposite in another, seeming to violate her reasoning from the first scene.

There was quite a bit of swearing in this book, f-bombs and the like. Although I don't mind an occasional expletive--indeed, there are times when it can enhance the emotional depth--there was too much here for my taste. I'm not offended by it, but when every other paragraph (it seemed) contained a f**k or s**t, then it became too intrusive.

Some of the background the story was based on didn't make sense to me. That could be my personal bent of mind trying to keep things logical. Possibly more will be explained in subsequent books.

Because of the intrusive language, the seeming inconsistent reactions, and the illogical background, I give this 2.5 stars. I probably won't purchase the second book, but if I run across it in a library, I may borrow it to see where the story goes. ( )
  AndreFan | Oct 10, 2012 |

In 2152 the avian race is on Earth looking for something stolen from them decades ago – their genetics. At the center of the search lies the Rural Republic; a small backwards farming country with high hopes of military domination and a penchant for illegal bioengineering.

19 year old Junco Coot is the daughter of the Rural Republic’s ranking commander. She’s the most foul-mouthed, wildly unpredictable and ruthless sniper the Rural Republic has ever trained. But when her father’s death sparks a trip into forbidden places, she triggers events that will change everything she knows to be true.

As an elite avian military officer, Tier’s mission is to destroy the bioengineering projects, kill Commander Coot’s daughter, and return home immediately. There’s just one problem. Junco isn’t who she claims to be.

With no one to trust, not even herself, Junco must confront the secrets of her past and accept her place in the future, or risk losing herself completely.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible