The Test

The Test

611,268,033 (4)None

I received The Test free from Library Thing to read and review. Before beginnng, I wondered if the author could put enough into a book that was not all that long, comparatively speaking. However, I found the author could easily grab and hold my attention fom the start and could leave me with a story I would not soon forget. This is the kind of thing we all dread happening. You find a lump. Your mother died a horrible death from breast cancer. You're very worried. You do everything they say to do (call for an early appointment, try to help the doctor whenever you can, etc.), but, even so, things try to conspire against you. No doctor's appointments are open for weeks. Then, it takes forever to schedule the tests, not to mention the anxiety while you wait first for the day of the test and then for the results. Meanwhile, you're supposed to just go on with life. This is the crux of the story. I felt the raw emotions and anguish. Luckily, the poor girl had a few good friends to help her through. I found mysef unable to put the book down until I knew what was going to happen--almost as I knew her personally. If this is typical of how the author writes, I hope she writes more--and quickly. ( )
  KMT01 | Oct 28, 2012 |

For Anyone Who Has Ever Had to Wait for Scary labs!

The Test follows Kate Thomas through the 12 tense days she experiences after the discovery of a lump in her breast, from Day 1’s panic to Day 12 when her test results finally come in. Since her mother died of breast cancer, she assumes the worst:

“I think I probably have breast cancer and I’m, I’m just not…I don’t think I have what it takes to be one of those people who gets through it successfully.”
“What does it take?”
“I don’t know—think positively, and be strong and heroic and prepared to battle through no matter how bad it gets. Possibly have some sort of life changing epiphany or profound spiritual awakening.” I say this last sentence mockingly, like people who have such experiences are just showing off.

As the days unfold, and the tension mounts, she finds herself summing up her past—her marriage (failed), her parents (divorced), her mother’s illness, her career successes and failures. Meanwhile she tries to figure out how to negotiate her present with the knowledge of a possibly abbreviated future hanging over her—because despite the fear, the wait and the uncertainty, life goes on.

Review excerpts:

“As frightened as Kate is, she never loses her sense of humor. The story never never becomes maudlin or prosaic. I felt nervous with Kate every step of the way, and I cared about her. The illustrations add so much to the text.”

“… careful character development; strong atmosphere; a sense of authentic mystery and anticipation; plenty of literary grace notes and humor; and—importantly—illustrations that support the text and text that supports the illustrations.”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:38 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

's book The Test was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,544,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible