My Bluegrass Baby by Molly Harper

My Bluegrass Baby

by Molly Harper

Amanda Ronconi
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
This book was laugh out loud funny. I loved it! ( )
  seanbata | Jun 14, 2015 |
Fans who only have experience reading Ms. Harper’s paranormal series may be slightly disconcerted by the idea of a Molly Harper novel without werewolves, vampires, ghosts, or witches. Thankfully, it does not matter whether Ms. Harper writes about things that go bump in the night or a workplace competition. To ignore this new, decidedly ordinary, i.e. non-supernatural, series is to miss out on the classic Harper banter, sparks, and heat. Her words still sparkle with wit and charm, her characters are strong and memorable, and her love of all things Kentucky continues to shine throughout the narrative.

Amanda Ronconi proves herself to more than capable of handling Ms. Harper’s non-paranormal romance. She still maintains the original wit of Ms. Harper’s words while maintaining a level of earnestness that is missing from her vampire or werewolf series. The accents are less exaggerated; the sarcasm is just a wee bit toned down to better fit an ordinary work environment. Still, Ms. Harper’s words out of Ms. Ronconi’s mouth are always fun to experience, and the combination of Ms. Harper and Ms. Ronconi is the perfect antidote to the everyday stressors of life.
  jmchshannon | May 9, 2014 |
I love Molly Harper. I have read most of her stuff, both her contemporary and her vampire books.

This book seemed to be more of a love song for Kentucky encased in a low-key love story.

The protags in this book both work for the division of the Kentucky state government that promotes tourism, and this is used to share the tourist highpoints of the state.

There is lots of humor in the book, very broad humor. The love story was a bit stilted and rushed. There was no real arc of the relationship. There was a bad guy and he was apparently needed to get the two protags together in such a way as to cause friction from the beginning. But he was a weak, throw-away character.

All in all, a short pleasant read that just meanders, makes you laugh a time or two, makes you Google some locations in Kentucky to see if they are real or not. I am glad I read it, but I forgot it almost immediately. ( )
  paideiamom | Sep 22, 2013 |
Molly Harper always makes me laugh. It doesn't matter if she is writing about werewolves, vampires, infidelity, or potential job loss -- she has me nearly in tears because I am laughing. I would categorize My Bluegrass Baby as chick lit. It is fun, it is light, there is a smattering of romance and passion but the focus is on the main character, her job and her life.

So why only 3 stars? I read Molly Harper for the funny escape and the fantasy that the working girl will get everything back on track. My Bluegrass Baby did not disappoint in this respect but it just wasn't as funny as her other books and I saw the mix-up/crisis coming from page one and the resolution coming from the time of the mix-up/crisis. This isn't entirely a bad thing. My Bluegrass Baby is fun, light and short. It was a perfect escape.

For fans of chick lit, Molly Harper and people who like to laugh -- then I recommend listening to the audio of My Bluegrass Baby. ( )
  ReginaR | Aug 3, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,331,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible