Flotsam by David Wiesner

Flotsam (2006)

by David Wiesner

I really liked Flotsam because it kept me very engaged in the book through the fascinating storyline that was being told only through pictures. This book drew me in because it was very unique in the way that it was designed. I thought it was interesting that the little boy found a “whole other world” when he looked through the microscope at the picture that was developed from the camera that washed up to shore. I looked up the word “Flotsam” to see what it meant and I found it very interesting that it meant having to do with what is under the sea. I think the title of the book is clearly appropriate as it takes the reader through different scenes of what these particular sea creatures do deep down. At first I was confused as to why the picture, that the boy looked at through the microscope, had other people holding a picture in it until I realized that it was a part of the author’s main message. The author pushes the reader to broaden their perspective by seeing how is one way or another the people in the world connect with each other in some way. I enjoyed the part where the boy took a picture of himself, holding the original picture with the camera and threw it back into the ocean so another child could find it and continue on the pattern. The main message that I got out of the book is that despite where something is coming from, people around the world can connect to each other through a single object. ( )
  Ashult1 | Sep 20, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book, but not as much as his other works. Interesting view of the children of the world. A charming ending.
  kali.joy | Sep 16, 2015 |
I enjoyed the story Flotsam by David Wiesner mostly due to the detailed illustrations and how much they enhanced the story. Wiesner’s story has to texts, so readers only have the pictures to go from to make sense of the story. The illustrations are so effective that words are not even necessary. Some pages are like a comic book strip. Each picture is like a frame of the story, so I was able to see consecutive snapshots of the main character’s day at the beach. The pictures of what’s on the camera display extremely active imagination, and we are able to see the main character’s thought process. We see pictures of crazy things like an octopus who is reading and aliens playing underwater. His magical photographs still go along with a logical plot line, so it seems like anyone could find those pictures when searching for flotsam. I also really liked the main character because he is so interested in the world around him. He is really interested in science, so he brings his microscope to the beach. So many children are naturally curious, and I think it is great that he is pursuing his interests. The main idea of the story is that it is important for children to have the opportunities to explore the world around them and pursue their own interests. ( )
  VictoriaStagg | Sep 13, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this wordless picture book for three reasons. The lack of words made this book intriguing to the reader. Without words, I had to pay close attention to the details of the illustrations in order to comprehend the story. I like that using this book would enhance student’s abilities to make predictions and use specific details to support their thinking. Also, I like that wordless picture books allow the reader to be creative. Since there are no concrete words telling you the details of the story, the reader can use their own interpretations to fill in the unknown. Moreover, the illustrations were very detailed and descriptive, making the story easy to follow even without words. When the main character looks at the developed picture and widens his eyes making a shocked expression, the reader is curious to see what is shocking about the picture, which draws the reader into the story. Lastly, I think this story would be interesting to children because the end of the story allows for the reader to predict future events that may happen as the camera ends up on another beach in the hands of another child. ( )
  carlymiller | Sep 10, 2015 |
This is a really imaginative story that shares a new perspective about what mysteries the ocean holds. While spending time on a beach, looking closely at crabs, a boy is suddenly swept off his feet by a wave...a wave that also brings with it an underwater camera. The boy runs the camera to a one-hour photo shop and has the film developed. The images depict a surprising view of life under the sea, including robotic fish, an octopus' living room, puffer fish hot air balloons, small cities on sea turtle backs, aliens visiting the depths of the ocean and more. Included is a photo of a little girl, holding a picture that also shows another child holding a picture. Looking closely at the pictures within the picture, the boy is transported to a time long-gone. Inspired by this, he puts a new roll of film in the camera, takes a picture of himself holding the photo of the girl and tosses the camera back into the ocean.
  LStephens | Aug 14, 2015 |
For my family and all our years down the Shore

LIB 428/Lawson Desc. - This book doesn't need words to make its impact. It's clear through its amazing illustrations that the boy who has gone to the beach to explore has certainly come across something extraordinary. I enjoyed how the emotion of the discovery came through in the chronological account as the boy sort of lives in the world of the images he comes across for a bit. This book might be a great use in the classroom in that children may not be used the whole book without words concept and would create great dialogue in a question and answer forum in that a teacher could ask children what the boy has found, what he is doing - and what he might do next.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618194576, Hardcover)

Product Description
A bright, science-minded boy goes to the beach equipped to collect and examine flotsam--anything floating that has been washed ashore. Bottles, lost toys, small objects of every description are among his usual finds. But there's no way he could have prepared for one particular discovery: a barnacle-encrusted underwater camera, with its own secrets to share . . . and to keep.

In each of his amazing picture books, David Wiesner has revealed the magical possibilities of some ordinary thing or happening--a frog on a lily pad, a trip to the Empire State Building, a well-known nursery tale. This time, a day at the beach is the springboard into a wildly imaginative exploration of the mysteries of the deep, and of the qualities that enable us to witness these wonders and delight in them.

A Look Inside Flotsam
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:59 -0400)

The story of what happens when a camera becomes a piece of flotsam.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,760,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible