Flotsam by David Wiesner

Flotsam (2006)

by David Wiesner

Recently added bykristennicoson, private library, fumcod, ekrynen, emily9, AlexWyatt, ClariAlvarez, armc, Mallely

Flotsam is a wonderfully inspiring book that teaches us the powers of using our imaginations. This beautiful story follows a boy who finds a camera that has washed up on the beach. Through the pictures he finds, he gets a glimpse into magical images of the deep sea. He also finds a picture that is an almost never-ending line of people taking a picture of them holding a picture. This inspired the boy to put in his own picture. He then sends the camera back out to sea to start the process all over again. I love this book for two specific reasons. One the illustrations in this story are amazing because they actually tell the whole story. This brings me to the second reason why I love this book and that is because it is a wordless picture book and as an artist myself; it makes me enjoy it so much more.
The illustrations in this book are the book. They are the most important because they are telling the story. Each page in this story is a masterfully painted watercolor painting. Each illustrations is immensely detailed that is rich in color and movement. Each page in this book is lay out perfectly. The compositions move your eyes from one image right to the next. It is almost like you are reading this book but it is more like watching a movie. In a couple of the pages you are looking at the photographs as if you are the boy and in the photos you have wildly imaginative images like a sea turtle with a sea shell city on it back or giant starfish rising out of the ocean like a sea monster. You also have an image of a blowfish that is blown up and in the shape of a hot air balloon with fish riding in the basket over the ocean. That gives the reader quite a laugh. Every illustration is helping to drive the story forward and communicate meaning.
This is a wordless picture book, which means you are reading a story based only on what you can see. The thing that I love about this is that it allows you to make up you own dialogue and control the story. It activates your imagination and allows you to be creative with the things you have the characters say. By using this wordless format, you can allow you mind to wonder and see where it leads you. It makes if fun every time you read it because each time you read it you can have a different version.
Flotsam is an awesome book that at the end teaches us how to dive back into our imaginations. It teaches us about discovery and what curiosity can lead to. ( )
  AlexWyatt | Nov 10, 2014 |
I like this wordless picture book for students. The main reason why I like this book is because it takes you on adventures, and takes you to a different one each time you open it up. You can read the book to one child and get an incredible story that they imagine and come up within their minds, and then show it to another child who goes on a completely different adventure. The next reason why I like this book is because it’s something different than a children’s book. It’s a wordless picture book that depends on the illustrations that happen to be incredibly beautiful in this specific book. There are several pictures on each page that are so descriptively illustrated. There are also close ups of the pictures that the boy in the story sees through the underwater camera film that he finds on the shore. The pictures show a secret world. Lastly, I love the way the book is like a circle story. What I mean by this, is that in the beginning of the story the young boy finds the camera with all of the mysterious pictures, he takes a picture of himself holding some photos, and tosses the camera back into the ocean. We then see a young girl find the camera wash up onto shore. The main idea of this book is to imagine and create your own stories by the pictures you see. It takes you to a different world!
  margan1 | Sep 19, 2014 |
Almost the same concept as "The Red Book," except with a camera. A child finds a camera at the beach and creates another world through the pictures from the camera. Beautifully illustrated.
  SRThompson | Sep 8, 2014 |
In this story, we see a boy who has his binoculars, magnifying glass, and microscope. He is ready to explore while his parents read on the beach. The boy sees a crab and is lying on his stomach examining the crab, when a big wave comes over him. As the wave goes back into the ocean, the boy notices that the wave brought an old looking underwater camera to the shore. He shows his parents and they show the lifeguard to see if he knew who it belongs to and the lifeguard did not. The boy looks at the camera and notices that there is film left in there. The boys gets the film developed , buys new film for the camera, and looks at the pictures back at the beach. He sees red fish, another he sees some other type of sea animal seating on couches, he sees a sea turtle and on top of his shell is sea shells that are homes for the sea creatures, aliens having fun, starfish, and lastly he sees a picture of a girl. The girl is holding a picture of another boy, who is holding a picture of another boy. He looks at the pictures with his microscope. He notices that the pictures go back years in time. There are black and white photos of children that seem to go back to the 1800's. It appears that all of these children have found the camera and taking pictures of themselves. The boy realizes that he needs to do the same. He takes his picture holding the picture of the girl. He then throws the camera back into the ocean. The book then shows the camera traveling with animals and a bird carries the camera to another area of the ocean and drops it. The book ends showing a girl finding the camera along the shore.

My reaction: I enjoyed this book. This book kept me wondering what was going to happen. I had no idea of how this story was going to end.

Classroom Extension ideas:

1. In the classroom, I would have the students draw and use paints to design underwater sea creatures.
2. I would take pictures of the students next to a tree on the school property and as the seasons change take another picture of the students holding the picture that was taken the first time. The kids can see how the season change from last season.
  AmberDimmitt | Sep 6, 2014 |
An inquisitive boy likes to observe things he finds while he's at the beach. A large wave washes up an old underwater camera. He develops the film he finds in it and puts in a new roll, too. He finds some unbelievable pictures of mechanical fish, lounging octopus, a puffer fish hot air balloon, sea turtles with seashell cities on their backs, LGMs, island-backed starfish, and a photo of a girl holding a picture within a picture, within a picture, etc. Confused, he uses his magnifying glass and microscope to inspect the progressively smaller pictures until he can see the very first boy. He takes a picture of himself holding the the photo, and tosses the camera back into the ocean. It is carries away by many sea creatures, across the oceans, and washes up on a tropical island for a curious young girl.
  joycecafe | Aug 13, 2014 |
For my family and all our years down the Shore

LIB 428/Lawson Desc. - This book doesn't need words to make its impact. It's clear through its amazing illustrations that the boy who has gone to the beach to explore has certainly come across something extraordinary. I enjoyed how the emotion of the discovery came through in the chronological account as the boy sort of lives in the world of the images he comes across for a bit. This book might be a great use in the classroom in that children may not be used the whole book without words concept and would create great dialogue in a question and answer forum in that a teacher could ask children what the boy has found, what he is doing - and what he might do next.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618194576, Hardcover)

Product Description
A bright, science-minded boy goes to the beach equipped to collect and examine flotsam--anything floating that has been washed ashore. Bottles, lost toys, small objects of every description are among his usual finds. But there's no way he could have prepared for one particular discovery: a barnacle-encrusted underwater camera, with its own secrets to share . . . and to keep.

In each of his amazing picture books, David Wiesner has revealed the magical possibilities of some ordinary thing or happening--a frog on a lily pad, a trip to the Empire State Building, a well-known nursery tale. This time, a day at the beach is the springboard into a wildly imaginative exploration of the mysteries of the deep, and of the qualities that enable us to witness these wonders and delight in them.

A Look Inside Flotsam
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:01 -0400)

The story of what happens when a camera becomes a piece of flotsam.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,884,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible