Flotsam by David Wiesner

Flotsam (original 2006; edition 2006)

by David Wiesner

Member:ashbrau
Title:Flotsam
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books (2006), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:
Tags:camera, discovery, exploration, sea, beach, wordless story, picture-books

Flotsam by David Wiesner (2006)

Imo, there were too many things Wiesner wanted to share with us. The boy finding the camera could have been condensed into one of the other stories, but it was rich enough here it could have been its own story, too. The story of the surrealistic pictures found on the developed film was cool - there should have been more of those. The best story was the picture within a picture, children going successively back in time - but I've learned that some people had trouble understanding that bit. There were lots of cool pictures - my favorite though were the ones on the title & copyright page which weren't exactly part of the story. I did love [b:Tuesday|97860|Tuesday|David Wiesner|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1171404173s/97860.jpg|3036058] and will look for [b:The Three Pigs|138069|The Three Pigs|David Wiesner|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1172092242s/138069.jpg|133087]. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A boy is at the beach and gets sucked in by a wave. He finds a camera that contains film of pictures that were taken underwater and throughout time. He takes a picture of himself and throws the camera back into the ocean for someone else to find it and continue taking pictures to share with the next who finds it.
  mendi009 | Jun 6, 2016 |
My 5 year-old daughter loves this book. With no words, the pictures tell of a young boy who finds a camera washed ashore on the beach. He develops the film inside it and finds the silliest underwater scenes. He also finds an image of a boy holding a photo of a boy holding a photo of a girl holding a photo of a boy... and so on. The boy decides to take a picture of himself holding the photo, and sends the camera back to sea. There is a great amount of detail in this book, and the underwater scenes as so silly that they grab the attention and imagination of the young reader.
  carrier3 | Apr 25, 2016 |
What I love about this book are the variety of ways that the story can be told and the different stories that can come out of it. The illustrations give a lot of room for creativity so far as the story goes. In addition, there is space for the reader to create a story that draws on their own personal experiences. Within the classroom I would use this book to illustrate the importance of pictures and the many ways that they can be used. Having students use
  MsSpartas | Apr 10, 2016 |
A terrific way to start conversations about making hypothesis, inference and the inventive process. I greatly enjoyed this imaginative story. I first rushed through it because I was so excited to find out what was going to happen. I then went back and studied each page in detail to see what little details I did not see the first time. I will be reading this story whenever I want to talk about making predictions.
  Adam_sundstrom | Apr 4, 2016 |
For my family and all our years down the Shore

A science forward book about adventure and discovery

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618194576, Hardcover)

Product Description
A bright, science-minded boy goes to the beach equipped to collect and examine flotsam--anything floating that has been washed ashore. Bottles, lost toys, small objects of every description are among his usual finds. But there's no way he could have prepared for one particular discovery: a barnacle-encrusted underwater camera, with its own secrets to share . . . and to keep.

In each of his amazing picture books, David Wiesner has revealed the magical possibilities of some ordinary thing or happening--a frog on a lily pad, a trip to the Empire State Building, a well-known nursery tale. This time, a day at the beach is the springboard into a wildly imaginative exploration of the mysteries of the deep, and of the qualities that enable us to witness these wonders and delight in them.

A Look Inside Flotsam
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:59 -0400)

The story of what happens when a camera becomes a piece of flotsam.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,874,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible