Flotsam by David Wiesner

Flotsam (original 2006; edition 2006)

by David Wiesner

Member:ashbrau
Title:Flotsam
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books (2006), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:
Tags:camera, discovery, exploration, sea, beach, wordless story, picture-books

Flotsam by David Wiesner (2006)

My 5 year-old daughter loves this book. With no words, the pictures tell of a young boy who finds a camera washed ashore on the beach. He develops the film inside it and finds the silliest underwater scenes. He also finds an image of a boy holding a photo of a boy holding a photo of a girl holding a photo of a boy... and so on. The boy decides to take a picture of himself holding the photo, and sends the camera back to sea. There is a great amount of detail in this book, and the underwater scenes as so silly that they grab the attention and imagination of the young reader.
  carrier3 | Apr 25, 2016 |
What I love about this book are the variety of ways that the story can be told and the different stories that can come out of it. The illustrations give a lot of room for creativity so far as the story goes. In addition, there is space for the reader to create a story that draws on their own personal experiences. Within the classroom I would use this book to illustrate the importance of pictures and the many ways that they can be used. Having students use
  MsSpartas | Apr 10, 2016 |
A terrific way to start conversations about making hypothesis, inference and the inventive process. I greatly enjoyed this imaginative story. I first rushed through it because I was so excited to find out what was going to happen. I then went back and studied each page in detail to see what little details I did not see the first time. I will be reading this story whenever I want to talk about making predictions.
  Adam_sundstrom | Apr 4, 2016 |
The illustrations in this book and its narrative are really precious. One can really live the story and emotion of this boy as he finds a camera on the beach. After developing photos he discovers they depict a fantastic underwater world. One of the photos also shows how kids from different generations and places have taken a photo of themselves and returned camera back into the waters for other children to discover. Like a perpetual gift of wonder to amuse children's imagination and empathy traveling thru time and space!
  Jlporrata75 | Mar 12, 2016 |
The pictures in this book tell an incredible fantastical tale of adventure under the sea. The illustrations depict beautiful fish with mechanical fish mingling with biological fish, tiny martians visiting seahorses and fish underwater, and colonies of mermaids and mermen living in a whimsical villages. The book opens with a little boy and his family frolicking on the seashore, he then finds an antique underwater camera. When he takes the film to be developed he finds the most unusual pictures of children, holding photographs of other children holding a similar photograph, each one smaller than the prior. There were also many whimsical photographs of the fantastical underwater scenes. Readers will delight in the story and will be immediately drawn in by the immense, illustrations, close up, where you can not help, but be pulled in. Wonderful addition to any classroom.
  Keinhorn | Mar 11, 2016 |
For my family and all our years down the Shore

A science forward book about adventure and discovery

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618194576, Hardcover)

Product Description
A bright, science-minded boy goes to the beach equipped to collect and examine flotsam--anything floating that has been washed ashore. Bottles, lost toys, small objects of every description are among his usual finds. But there's no way he could have prepared for one particular discovery: a barnacle-encrusted underwater camera, with its own secrets to share . . . and to keep.

In each of his amazing picture books, David Wiesner has revealed the magical possibilities of some ordinary thing or happening--a frog on a lily pad, a trip to the Empire State Building, a well-known nursery tale. This time, a day at the beach is the springboard into a wildly imaginative exploration of the mysteries of the deep, and of the qualities that enable us to witness these wonders and delight in them.

A Look Inside Flotsam
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:59 -0400)

The story of what happens when a camera becomes a piece of flotsam.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,927,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible