Flotsam by David Wiesner

Flotsam (original 2006; edition 2006)

by David Wiesner

Member:ashbrau
Title:Flotsam
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books (2006), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Storytime Collection
Rating:**
Tags:camera, discovery, exploration, sea, beach, wordless story

Flotsam by David Wiesner (2006)

Flotsam is a book that without a doubt deserves the Caldecott Medal. This picture book is also an excellent example of how a picture is worth a thousand words. This book is heavily layered with perception. This book is a great example how perception is taken in within the pictures of this book. It will allow the readers to make up their own story, and how they see the book. I would show this book to a group of kindergarteners because I feel as though they would each have a different perception on the meaning of the book. It would be interesting to see how many words the students would be able to come up to describe a single page in the story.
  mbabst | Apr 19, 2015 |
This is a fabulous wordless book story about a boy who discovers an underwater camera when it washes up on the beach. The photographs reveal a marvelous underwater world of interesting sea creatures. The pictures also reveal photographs of other young children who have discovered this special camera. The young boy takes a picture of himself and throws the camera back into the ocean for the next young child to discover.

This is a relatively advanced wordless book that will match the interest level of older ELL readers or struggling readers. There are complicated connections and sequencing that will challenge readers in wonderful ways. There are many angles for dialog around the book such as underwater animals, connections between strangers, creation of personal fantasy stories, or telling of personal experiences on the beach or with photography. ( )
  zsvandyk | Apr 17, 2015 |
This is a beautiful wordless picture book. The gorgeous watercolors tell this magical story of a boy who discovers a secret underwater world, keeps the secret, and passes it on to the next unsuspecting child. I think this picture book is a great example of postmodern aleatory fiction. This wordless picture book could be used in the classroom with many levels. It is a great book to use with questioning strategies because the "I Wonder" question could be used with every page. This book could also be connected to many Language Arts lessons because the pictures tell the story and readers must use background knowledge and make inferences to comprehend. This book could also be used for writing lessons because students could "write" words to the story or create their own wordless picture book.
  MSara | Apr 15, 2015 |
Imo, there were too many things Wiesner wanted to share with us. The boy finding the camera could have been condensed into one of the other stories, but it was rich enough here it could have been its own story, too. The story of the surrealistic pictures found on the developed film was cool - there should have been more of those. The best story was the picture within a picture, children going successively back in time - but I've learned that some people had trouble understanding that bit. There were lots of cool pictures - my favorite though were the ones on the title & copyright page which weren't exactly part of the story. I did love [b:Tuesday|97860|Tuesday|David Wiesner|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1171404173s/97860.jpg|3036058] and will look for [b:The Three Pigs|138069|The Three Pigs|David Wiesner|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1172092242s/138069.jpg|133087]. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Flotsam is fascinating. It felt like I could spend a lot of time looking at the pictures. Even without any words I feel as if I have read a story. This book would be wonderful to show to a classroom. It is a book that requires close examination of the pictures. I could see it inspiring art projects of under the sea pictures with interesting tweaks, it could even be used for a highschool level art class.
  RachelSchillreff | Apr 12, 2015 |
For my family and all our years down the Shore

LIB 428/Lawson Desc. - This book doesn't need words to make its impact. It's clear through its amazing illustrations that the boy who has gone to the beach to explore has certainly come across something extraordinary. I enjoyed how the emotion of the discovery came through in the chronological account as the boy sort of lives in the world of the images he comes across for a bit. This book might be a great use in the classroom in that children may not be used the whole book without words concept and would create great dialogue in a question and answer forum in that a teacher could ask children what the boy has found, what he is doing - and what he might do next.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618194576, Hardcover)

Product Description
A bright, science-minded boy goes to the beach equipped to collect and examine flotsam--anything floating that has been washed ashore. Bottles, lost toys, small objects of every description are among his usual finds. But there's no way he could have prepared for one particular discovery: a barnacle-encrusted underwater camera, with its own secrets to share . . . and to keep.

In each of his amazing picture books, David Wiesner has revealed the magical possibilities of some ordinary thing or happening--a frog on a lily pad, a trip to the Empire State Building, a well-known nursery tale. This time, a day at the beach is the springboard into a wildly imaginative exploration of the mysteries of the deep, and of the qualities that enable us to witness these wonders and delight in them.

A Look Inside Flotsam
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:01 -0400)

The story of what happens when a camera becomes a piece of flotsam.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,709,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible