Flotsam by David Wiesner

Flotsam (original 2006; edition 2006)

by David Wiesner

Member:ashbrau
Title:Flotsam
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books (2006), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:
Tags:camera, discovery, exploration, sea, beach, wordless story, picture-books

Flotsam by David Wiesner (2006)

The illustrations are beautiful and incredibly detailed. I loved the whimsical and magical images Weisner created.
  EmLu | Aug 10, 2016 |
I thought that I wasn't going to enjoy this book but I was completely wrong. The plot is so creative and the pictures have so much detail to them. The illustrations were made with watercolor which really enhanced that sea/ocean feel.
  katiegotur | Aug 5, 2016 |
Flotsam is a wordless book, told entirely in rich, colorful, and detailed two-page-spread illustrations. A young boy, science-minded and curious, finds an early 20th century camera washed up on the beach. He takes the film to be developed and what the pictures reveal has to be seen to be believed. Accessible and enjoyable by everyone, regardless of language, reading level, or age. ( )
  mdispaltro | Jul 28, 2016 |
The book is wordless. A boy discovers an old camera on a beach. When he goes to develop the film, he sees lots of pictures of animals he doesn't recognize, and pictures of animals that are doing things not typically done by animals. He finds a picture of a child, who is holding a picture of another child, who is also holding a picture of another child, and so on. The boy decides to take a picture of himself and throw the camera back into the ocean. It is carried to another part of the world to be found by another child.

I really liked this book. I thought it could be a great lesson about connecting to other parts of the world. I would have preferred the book to show realistic pictures of ocean life, though.

One thing to do is to create some kind of time capsule to be buried and found later. Another thing could be to have the children create the words that they want onto photocopies of the pages. Students could also differentiate between fact and fiction about what the ocean animals do is real life. It can also be used in a lesson about hypothesizing and inferring. ( )
  WhitneyBaughn | Jul 12, 2016 |
With this Caldecott winner, the reader can experience this book at so many levels. This is a book that the reader spend hours looking at the pictures to keep the story going. A boy discovers an old time camera (that us film) at the ocean and discovers real and a fantastical world. After investigating the photos closely, he adds to the adventure and sends the camera back to the ocean. ( )
  Patty6508 | Jul 5, 2016 |
For my family and all our years down the Shore

A science forward book about adventure and discovery

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618194576, Hardcover)

Product Description
A bright, science-minded boy goes to the beach equipped to collect and examine flotsam--anything floating that has been washed ashore. Bottles, lost toys, small objects of every description are among his usual finds. But there's no way he could have prepared for one particular discovery: a barnacle-encrusted underwater camera, with its own secrets to share . . . and to keep.

In each of his amazing picture books, David Wiesner has revealed the magical possibilities of some ordinary thing or happening--a frog on a lily pad, a trip to the Empire State Building, a well-known nursery tale. This time, a day at the beach is the springboard into a wildly imaginative exploration of the mysteries of the deep, and of the qualities that enable us to witness these wonders and delight in them.

A Look Inside Flotsam
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:59 -0400)

The story of what happens when a camera becomes a piece of flotsam.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,411,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible