Flotsam by David Wiesner

Flotsam (original 2006; edition 2006)

by David Wiesner

Member:ashbrau
Title:Flotsam
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books (2006), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Storytime Collection
Rating:**
Tags:camera, discovery, exploration, sea, beach, wordless story

Flotsam by David Wiesner (2006)

Summary: This picturebook starts with a little boy on the beach looking through his mangnifying glass at some of the beach sea animals. Then here comes a big wave and knocks the little boy over. When the big wave is gone it washes in a old underwater camera. The little boy picks up the camera, and begins showing it to some people on the beach. He also finds film in the camera. The boy runs as fast as he can to a near by one hour photo shop. There he has the film developed. He waits, and waits until he finally gets the pictures back. He is amazed at the pictures he see's. Pictures of a world under the ocean. A world far beyond what anyone would believe. The boy also finds pictures of children that he's really curious about. He spends most of the day just looking at the pictures. Then he throws the camera back into the ocean.The camera has it's own ocean escorts, like sea horses, and octopus's. The camera is back in the underwater world where all the underwater people are curious about where the camera has been. Then the camera is once again thrown on to the beach where another child finds it.

Personal reaction: This a fun and colorful picturebook. I was smiling the whole time , because of the colors and the realness of each page. The children will want to do many stories about the little boy, the underwater world of creatures and the other people in the pictures.
Extensions: I see using this book over and over. I see the children wanting to look at the pictures over and over.
  SusieDell | Feb 3, 2015 |
I loved this imaginative story and actually rushed through it to see what was going to happen. I then went back and studied each page in detail to see what little details I missed. I will be reading, "reading" this story this next week in the library. What a great conversation starter about predictions, inference and the creative process.
  PolyDrive | Feb 1, 2015 |
The story in this book is told solely through gorgeous, whimsical illustrations. Wiesner creates an underwater world that is sure to capture the reader's imagination. ( )
  EliseMT | Jan 31, 2015 |
Completely deserving of the Caldecott Medal. Flotsam is also an excellent example of a book with no text's ability to tell a story in just images. Very deep layered book. Could be fun to use to talk about point of view and what can be inferred from just a picture.
  JessicaLeupold | Jan 21, 2015 |
I love the incredible detail David is able to put into these pages. It's as if a camera traveled on its own throughout the waters of the world. I especially loved the mermaids world, using fish like cars and busses. This is the stuff of fantasy!
  InstantLaila | Dec 8, 2014 |
For my family and all our years down the Shore

LIB 428/Lawson Desc. - This book doesn't need words to make its impact. It's clear through its amazing illustrations that the boy who has gone to the beach to explore has certainly come across something extraordinary. I enjoyed how the emotion of the discovery came through in the chronological account as the boy sort of lives in the world of the images he comes across for a bit. This book might be a great use in the classroom in that children may not be used the whole book without words concept and would create great dialogue in a question and answer forum in that a teacher could ask children what the boy has found, what he is doing - and what he might do next.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618194576, Hardcover)

Product Description
A bright, science-minded boy goes to the beach equipped to collect and examine flotsam--anything floating that has been washed ashore. Bottles, lost toys, small objects of every description are among his usual finds. But there's no way he could have prepared for one particular discovery: a barnacle-encrusted underwater camera, with its own secrets to share . . . and to keep.

In each of his amazing picture books, David Wiesner has revealed the magical possibilities of some ordinary thing or happening--a frog on a lily pad, a trip to the Empire State Building, a well-known nursery tale. This time, a day at the beach is the springboard into a wildly imaginative exploration of the mysteries of the deep, and of the qualities that enable us to witness these wonders and delight in them.

A Look Inside Flotsam
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:01 -0400)

The story of what happens when a camera becomes a piece of flotsam.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,768,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible