Flotsam by David Wiesner

Flotsam (original 2006; edition 2006)

by David Wiesner

1,703None4,160 (4.51)45
Member:ashbrau
Title:Flotsam
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books (2006), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Storytime Collection
Rating:**
Tags:camera, discovery, exploration, sea, beach, wordless story

Flotsam by David Wiesner (2006)

animals (27) art (19) beach (115) Caldecott (133) Caldecott Medal (58) Caldecott Winner (26) camera (83) cameras (28) children (45) children's (72) children's literature (29) discovery (16) Easy (15) fantasy (95) fiction (70) fish (43) imagination (63) no words (19) ocean (124) oceans (21) photographs (35) photography (55) picture book (282) pictures (26) science (26) sea (29) underwater (20) wordless (236) wordless book (51) wordless picture book (48)

While wandering on the beach one day, a young boy discovers an old camera. After developing the film, he finds images of amazing sea creatures -- a mechanical fish, tiny alien-like sea creatures, giant walking starfish -- as well as photos of previous children who encountered the camera. I love interconnected stories across generations, and the mysterious tone of this book. The wordless illustrations may prompt imaginative discussions between children and caregivers who wish to speculate on the scenes portrayed. ( )
  aeisen9 | Mar 18, 2014 |
Flotsam is the first book that I have ever read that is wordless, and I loved it! Although the book does not a specific main idea it is all about exploration and under the sea. This book was interesting and so fun to look through. The illustrations won an award; they were huge, colorful and very bright. The story was all about a boy who discovered a camera on the beach and when he developed the pictures they were so cool! The story was humorous because the under the sea pictures were of the animals doing unrealistic things. One of the pictures was of starfish dancing together, which made me laugh out loud. The book would be great in the classroom to reach out to your students' imaginations and have them create their own word less story. ( )
  mderob1 | Mar 17, 2014 |
This book has no words it completely leaves it up to the reader to decide what the story is about. The illustrations lead the story in the right direction but it ultimately is up to you to write the story. This is a great opportunity for children. It leaves the imagination to work. The illustrations are delicious I want to have some of them in a beach house for myself. I also think that children relate to the character because most kids have played and found fun things at the beach.
  ChelseaLawler | Mar 17, 2014 |
This book has illustrations so tasty i want to put them on my wall. The picture with the Aliens is my favorite! Great eye candy for the child or adult. Plot moves along perfectly even with pictures. I would ask the kids to write a story that goes with the pictures. ( )
  jordan70 | Mar 16, 2014 |
In this story, a young boy finds a camera that washes up on the shore of the beach he is playing at. He has the roll of film inside developed and discovers some incredible pictures of under sea life, as well as a picture of a girl, holding another picture. He discovers that if he uses a magnifying lense, this pattern continues, and he can see the picture of the boy who originally lost the camera. So, he takes a picture of himself with that photo, and launches the camera back into the ocean for another child to find.

While the story was difficult to decode at first, I was very taken aback by the illustrations of this book. They were beautiful, and so so detailed -- I loved all the expressions and the variations in the people that were illustrated. And the different frames were fascinating! I loved the close ups of the boys eyes, and the scenes of the beach. Just beautiful! I think that students could use David Wiesner's perspectives and frame-working style to create some really interesting storytelling art. ( )
  aelmer | Mar 16, 2014 |
For my family and all our years down the Shore

LIB 428/Lawson Desc. - This book doesn't need words to make its impact. It's clear through its amazing illustrations that the boy who has gone to the beach to explore has certainly come across something extraordinary. I enjoyed how the emotion of the discovery came through in the chronological account as the boy sort of lives in the world of the images he comes across for a bit. This book might be a great use in the classroom in that children may not be used the whole book without words concept and would create great dialogue in a question and answer forum in that a teacher could ask children what the boy has found, what he is doing - and what he might do next.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618194576, Hardcover)

Product Description A bright, science-minded boy goes to the beach equipped to collect and examine flotsam--anything floating that has been washed ashore. Bottles, lost toys, small objects of every description are among his usual finds. But there's no way he could have prepared for one particular discovery: a barnacle-encrusted underwater camera, with its own secrets to share . . . and to keep.

In each of his amazing picture books, David Wiesner has revealed the magical possibilities of some ordinary thing or happening--a frog on a lily pad, a trip to the Empire State Building, a well-known nursery tale. This time, a day at the beach is the springboard into a wildly imaginative exploration of the mysteries of the deep, and of the qualities that enable us to witness these wonders and delight in them.

A Look Inside Flotsam (Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:01 -0400)

The story of what happens when a camera becomes a piece of flotsam.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible