Flotsam by David Wiesner

Flotsam (original 2006; edition 2006)

by David Wiesner

Member:ashbrau
Title:Flotsam
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books (2006), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:
Tags:camera, discovery, exploration, sea, beach, wordless story, picture-books

Flotsam by David Wiesner (2006)

A young boy goes to the beach searching for treasure and he ends up finding an old camera. After having the film developed he finds stunning and intriguing photographs. The illustrations of this book are very intricate and students would be eager to look at them for awhile. This book has no words so it could be a fun activity to have students create storylines based off of what they think is happening. Could be used at any age and ( )
  heidi.donner | Mar 7, 2017 |
This book was INCREDIBLE. I liked this book for man reasons but I will list a few. First, the illustrations are amazing, and they ought to be sense they tell the whole story! For example, it will show quick cut scenes to show how the character is moving and what he is doing. Another thing I really enjoyed about this book was the plot. Even though there are no words, there is a moving plot that becomes more apparent as the book progresses. I enjoyed the ending when we finally figure out what pictures belong in the camera. I think the lesson of this story is that no matter where you are, adventure can always find you. ( )
  mbalte1 | Mar 1, 2017 |
Summary – This book won the Caldecott Medal in 2007. A young boy goes to the beach with the plan of finding things. He finds an old camera and has the film developed. In this imaginative picture book, the boy sees pictures of robot fish, octopus living rooms, and other photos of people holding the camera and the photos they found. At the end of the book, the boy adds his own picture to the role of film and throws the camera back into the ocean.

Personal Response – This book was imaginative, entertaining, and fun to look through. The lack of words made it important to pay closer attention to the detailed illustrations. The pictures are magical and take the reader to another place as they are “reading” this wordless picture book.

Curricular Connections – This book can be used with readers of any age. Younger students will appreciate the simplicity of not having words to read. This would be a great book to introduce the concept of illustrations. Students could then illustrate their own short story and share it with the class. Older students could analyze the difference between a wordless picture book and a picture book with words to see which is more effective at telling the story, which they like better, and which they were more drawn to and why.
  Lindsey33SMS | Feb 23, 2017 |
This book was a wordless book, only pictures, so you had to interpret the book yourself. From the illustrations the book was about this little boy who finds a camera on the beach and sees all these photos on it fro where the camera has been. In the end he adds his own photo to the camera and sends it back out to sea where someone else would find it.

I really enjoyed the illustrations a lot. I thought that the author did a good job showing what was happening in the book but still giving the reader room to imagine their own twist to the book. I would use this in my classroom to help the children use their imagination and by having them tell the story in their own words.

I think this book would be good for grades 1st-3rd or maybe even 4th. ( )
  alizadawn | Feb 22, 2017 |
This book had no words but told a vivid story through watercolor pictures. It shows an inquisitive boy who finds a camera on the beach and as he looks through the pictures he sees that each picture is of a picture and that picture is of a picture and so on for years and years of people standing on that same beach. He takes a picture of himself to add to the old camera and throws it back into the water so someone else can find its history and wonderfully magical pictures. ( )
  hdalesky15 | Feb 20, 2017 |
For my family and all our years down the Shore

A science forward book about adventure and discovery

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618194576, Hardcover)

Product Description
A bright, science-minded boy goes to the beach equipped to collect and examine flotsam--anything floating that has been washed ashore. Bottles, lost toys, small objects of every description are among his usual finds. But there's no way he could have prepared for one particular discovery: a barnacle-encrusted underwater camera, with its own secrets to share . . . and to keep.

In each of his amazing picture books, David Wiesner has revealed the magical possibilities of some ordinary thing or happening--a frog on a lily pad, a trip to the Empire State Building, a well-known nursery tale. This time, a day at the beach is the springboard into a wildly imaginative exploration of the mysteries of the deep, and of the qualities that enable us to witness these wonders and delight in them.

A Look Inside Flotsam
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:59 -0400)

The story of what happens when a camera becomes a piece of flotsam.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,320,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible