Southern Bound (Max Porter, #1) by Stuart…

Southern Bound (Max Porter, #1)

by Stuart Jaffe

What made the experience of listening to Southern Bound the most enjoyable?
I found listening to this book was really brought to life by the different tones and inflictions used for the different characters. I was able to listen to the story on my way to and from work making the trip more enjoyable and less stressful, especially the trip home. It is a good storyline, that progressed at a great pace and I liked all the characters, especially Max, Sandra and Drummond.

Any additional comments?
This is a good crime type story. Though it is set in modern times, that fact that Max had to do most of his work the old fashion way i.e. books within his office, books from the library and a bit of leg work made me think of the noir crime novels set in the 1950s. I realised that if I was reading the book rather than listening to it, I would have found the start a bit slow going and perhaps given up for my normal quick paced event happening within the first few pages. However, it didn't take long for me to get interested in the story and found the pace picked up. I'd saw when Drummond came in to the picture that is when I found the storyline got interesting and the characters started to develop and you learn a lot more about Max and Sandra and how they came to be where they are. A good story, one I look forward to continuing on with and going back and listening to this one again in the future. ( )
  FiLoMa | Apr 19, 2017 |
Southern Bound (Max Porter Mysteries #1) by Stuart Jaffe is a fun ghost-involved detective mystery book. Max moves to the south and gets an office with strange instructions on how to keep the office. He finds it is really haunted and the ghost is hexed to stay in the office. Max and his wife set out to help the ghost get the curse released but almost end up ghosts themselves. It is a fun, suspense-filled, action packed, and humorous read. I enjoyed it from page one! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Oct 2, 2016 |
A mystery involving both the living and the spirit world. ( )
  Deelightful | Aug 31, 2016 |
pamkaye

Max Porter makes some crucial mistakes which causes him to lose his job. Him and his wife, Sandra, need to move for Max's new job. He has no idea who he is working for, what he is suppose to be doing, or how they get his name in the first place. Since he never applied for the job.
Once he starts working, he begins to think his employer is shady, and wants to investigate him. There are many unnecessary rules to the job, such as nothing in the office can be moved. Max, in a slight rage and being childish, moves his desk an inch. But that is enough to let loose Marshall Drummond, the ghost of an 1940s private eye. Why is Drummond there? Why can he not leave the room? Does Max help him and if so how? What does Max's employer have to do with any of this?
Read the book to find out. It is fun, with some interesting historical facts. The book is only 3 or 4 hours to read, so if you have an afternoon to spare, sit back and enjoy!! ( )
  pamkaye | Aug 13, 2016 |
I received the Audible version of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 stars

Southern Bound was an interesting read. I enjoyed the story, felt excitement and nervousness when the situation warranted. While there were no real surprise twists, there were enough turns in the story to keep things pretty interesting. There was just enough uniqueness to the world to make it unique and worth spending time in.

While the book wasn't bad at all, it was far too short, and felt rushed. I'd barely gotten a handle on the characters and their personalities when the book was already wrapping up. I was looking for a bit more detail, depth, and personality, but the brevity of Southern Bound left the story and characters feeling flat due to a lack of complete exploration. I came to the realization that I tended toward the 3.5 stat rating was because I had just wanted *more* of it, which isn't a bad thing.

Ultimately, I liked the characters and I enjoyed the story. I would, however, like to see how the character development continues in the second volume with something more to draw me into the story beyond my own will power to continue. I felt as though the characters were developed, but I didn't get to *see* all the dimensions of any of them. At least not yet...

As I stated above, I listened to the Audible version, narrated by the author, Stuart Jaffe. The narration was good, but one thing annoyed me from the outset: it was recorded with a slight reverb, like he was sitting in a wide-open hall when recording. I don't know if this was intentional, but it was slightly off-putting from the start, but as I got into the story, I noticed it less. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |

It was supposed to be a new beginning - good job, good pay, and a lovely home in North Carolina.

But when Max Porter discovers his office is haunted by the ghost of a 1940s detective, he is thrust neck-deep into a world of old mysteries and dangerous enemies.

One in which ghosts, witches, curses, and spells exist. One in which a simple research job can turn deadly.

Stuart Jaffe is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,704,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible