Nightmare At 20,000 Feet: Horror Stories By…

Nightmare At 20,000 Feet: Horror Stories By Richard Matheson

by Richard Matheson

Some of the stories felt rushed, some were silly. The classics were good (or did I like them because they were classics?), but didn't make up for the lesser works. ( )
  bontley | Aug 24, 2013 |
Satisfying, in a 1957 kind of way. ( )
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
Enjoyed this book. Back when I was 18 I used to buy many Horror collection books. I still have them, although they are translated into Dutch so I probably will never read them again.

I am sure I've read stories by Mr Matheson as well.
Liked a lot of stories but the one that made the most impression was a short one,called Dress of White Silk. it made me so curious what others thought of that story, I googled it. Learned a lot. ;) (They saw it so different than i did and I think they were right, but that is what I love with short stories that are well written, that they make you wonder.)

Other stories I liked. Disappearing Act, Legion of Plotters. Slaughterhouse is a typical ghost story. The Children of Noah. BBQ tonight. lol, First Anniversary, and I loved The Likeness of Julie. I forgot to mention the first story but that is so good and well known, it speaks for itself. Nightmare at 20.000 feet. The Twilight Zone. h how i loved that series back in the day.

Good read. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
What are you afraid off? Flying? Children? A doll? New neighbour? Heck, what about the guy sitting next to you on the bus and sniffing? In the hands of Richard Matheson, paranoia hits an all time high. He doesn't need to conjure up ghosts, monsters or aliens to scare you. Some of his best works are showcased in these short stories. Some chilling, some just disturbing, but all of them will get under your skin ... just because it may just happen. ( )
  shob.dw | Feb 8, 2011 |
This is a marvelous collection of 20 short horror stories by a master of the form. Fans of this genre will recognize the title piece as the story about an airline passenger having a psychotic breakdown as he sees a bizarre creature ripping apart the wing of plane he's flying on. That was turned into a 1963 episode of the classic Twilight Zone TV series, starring William Shatner, and was later included in the Twilight Zone: The Movie, which starred John Lithgow in the same role. For me, that story is arguably the best in the collection, but there are many others here worth recommending. Matheson does a great job of finding horror in the ordinary. His protagonists are typical "everymen". The settings are not gothic and spooky, but rather are the house next door, or your typical office complex. Of the stories in this collection, I would highly recommend "Mad House", "Legion of Plotters", "The Children of Noah", and "First Anniversary". The final story, "Prey" will also be recognizable to long-time TV and horror fans -- it was the basis one of the tales included in 1975's Trilogy of Terror, in which a Zuni doll comes to life and terrorizes Karen Black in her apartment. Note: Oddly, although the back cover of this book says the collection includes the story "Duel", which was turned into a creepy TV-movie starring Dennis Weaver and a semi, and ws the first feature film directed by Steven Spielberg, that story does NOT actually appear in the collection!

Originally reviewed for my local library's website: http://www.lincolnlibraries.org/depts/bookguide/srec/staffrec10-10.htm ( )
  cannellfan | Jan 16, 2011 |

Contents:

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
Dress of White Silk
Blood Son (as "Drink My Red Blood...")
Through Channels
Witch War
Mad House
Disappearing Act
Legion of Plotters
Long Distance Call (as "Sorry, Right Number")
Slaughter House
Crickets
First Anniversary
The Likeness of Julie
Prey

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312878273, Paperback)

This classic horror collection showcases the early career of one of the field's most influential and innovative writers. Much of Richard Matheson's work has found its way into pop culture: the title story became a memorable episode of television's The Twilight Zone, and horror aficionados reading "Prey" will immediately visualize Trilogy of Terror's Karen Black hunkered down with a butcher knife. But this collection's power lies in its wide-ranging exploration of style and subject and the literary skill that Matheson demonstrated right from the start of his career. Many of his stories were decidedly unconventional when published (most in the 1950s and early 1960s), and still have the power to shock or to satisfy with their graceful inevitability. Matheson is not primarily a monster writer: rather, he examines how we create monsters from our own fears and frailties, and sometimes become the monsters ourselves. Nightmare at 20,000 Feet is a must-have collection for Matheson fans and readers who like their horror spare, precise, and chilling. --Roz Genessee

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:16 -0400)

Collection of twenty horror stories.

61 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible