Nightmare At 20,000 Feet: Horror Stories By…

Nightmare At 20,000 Feet: Horror Stories By Richard Matheson

by Richard Matheson

A mixed bag of Matheson’s shorts. There are better collections out there, but this is a worthwhile read for Matheson fans. Outside of ‘Nightmare at 20,000 Feet,’ which begins the book, the shorts are printed in order of publication, so there’s a bit of muddling through his older stories before getting to the better ones. My favorites were Long Distance Call, Noah, Crickets, and The Distributor. Worth checking out to see Matheson progress from his weaker early works to his remarkable later period. ( )
  DrakeVaughn | Sep 9, 2013 |
Some of the stories felt rushed, some were silly. The classics were good (or did I like them because they were classics?), but didn't make up for the lesser works. ( )
  bontley | Aug 24, 2013 |
Satisfying, in a 1957 kind of way. ( )
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
Enjoyed this book. Back when I was 18 I used to buy many Horror collection books. I still have them, although they are translated into Dutch so I probably will never read them again.

I am sure I've read stories by Mr Matheson as well.
Liked a lot of stories but the one that made the most impression was a short one,called Dress of White Silk. it made me so curious what others thought of that story, I googled it. Learned a lot. ;) (They saw it so different than i did and I think they were right, but that is what I love with short stories that are well written, that they make you wonder.)

Other stories I liked. Disappearing Act, Legion of Plotters. Slaughterhouse is a typical ghost story. The Children of Noah. BBQ tonight. lol, First Anniversary, and I loved The Likeness of Julie. I forgot to mention the first story but that is so good and well known, it speaks for itself. Nightmare at 20.000 feet. The Twilight Zone. h how i loved that series back in the day.

Good read. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
What are you afraid off? Flying? Children? A doll? New neighbour? Heck, what about the guy sitting next to you on the bus and sniffing? In the hands of Richard Matheson, paranoia hits an all time high. He doesn't need to conjure up ghosts, monsters or aliens to scare you. Some of his best works are showcased in these short stories. Some chilling, some just disturbing, but all of them will get under your skin ... just because it may just happen. ( )
  shob.dw | Feb 8, 2011 |

Contents:

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
Dress of White Silk
Blood Son (as "Drink My Red Blood...")
Through Channels
Witch War
Mad House
Disappearing Act
Legion of Plotters
Long Distance Call (as "Sorry, Right Number")
Slaughter House
Crickets
First Anniversary
The Likeness of Julie
Prey

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312878273, Paperback)

This classic horror collection showcases the early career of one of the field's most influential and innovative writers. Much of Richard Matheson's work has found its way into pop culture: the title story became a memorable episode of television's The Twilight Zone, and horror aficionados reading "Prey" will immediately visualize Trilogy of Terror's Karen Black hunkered down with a butcher knife. But this collection's power lies in its wide-ranging exploration of style and subject and the literary skill that Matheson demonstrated right from the start of his career. Many of his stories were decidedly unconventional when published (most in the 1950s and early 1960s), and still have the power to shock or to satisfy with their graceful inevitability. Matheson is not primarily a monster writer: rather, he examines how we create monsters from our own fears and frailties, and sometimes become the monsters ourselves. Nightmare at 20,000 Feet is a must-have collection for Matheson fans and readers who like their horror spare, precise, and chilling. --Roz Genessee

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:16 -0400)

Collection of twenty horror stories.

61 wanted1 pay3 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,646,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible