Evergreen: Mer Tales #2 by Brenda Pandos

Evergreen: Mer Tales #2

by Brenda Pandos

It's always difficult to find an ending to part 2 in the series of 3. I think of Back to the Future part II, when Marty gets the Western Union letter saying that Doc Brown is alive and well in 1885. *Spoiler Alert* The ending of this one reminded me of The Empire Strikes Back, where everyone was getting ready to meet up on Tattoine (in Return of the Jedi). The Star Wars analogy is apt. *Spolier alert* There's a scene where Fin and Galadriel are getting off a plane. Some law enforcement officers ask to see their IDs. One of them sings, "You don't need to see our IDs. We're not the ones you're looking for." That was straight out of the original Star Wars. It's amazing how much detail there is. I looked back at the time frame, and it's hard to believe that most of the book takes place in 1 week. I got used to the back and forth narration from Everblue, so that wasn't an issue. I'm looking forward to book 3. ( )
  jmcgarry2011 | May 9, 2014 |
Read the full review at Witchmag's Boekenplank

*May contain spoilers if you haven’t read the first book*

It took some time before this book fully set off. Although little things happen, the focus is on Ash’s and Fin’s phone calls. I wished things were a bit more spiced up, since the first book ended with a big bang. Oh well, it wasn’t exactly a bother to read about one of the cutest couples in bookland. It really felt nice to see how they took care of each other and tried to make the other one feel better about their separation ^^ I loved it! They are just too cute for words ^^

Once we reached the middle, the story jumped forward. I got caught in a rapid that took me along till it unfortunately ended in a big waterfall. There was suddenly so much “noise and water” that I had a hard time staying afloat. Everything happened in the blink of an eye, I just wasn’t able to follow through! And I was a bit disappointed. This great story ends with this? Despite the surprising revelations and unexpected developments, it wasn’t the superb ending I expected…

The singing ability of merman is used a lot in this book, sometimes too much. I know that this is a useful tool, but it takes the suspense away if you know that everything will be alright as soon as a merman starts to sing. It became too predictable…

Conclusion

3 HEARTS. It took a while before the real story started. Till then you’re entertained by the antics of the cutest couple ever ^^ But be aware, once it has set his teeth in you, it will not let you go till the end. The end, where things felt a bit too rushed too me. Therefore 3 instead of the 4 I initially planned to give. Even the interesting developments at the end couldn’t make me give this a higher rating. Though 3 hearts isn’t a bid thing, right? ;) ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Dec 21, 2013 |
I loved Evergreen even more than the first book in the series, Everblue!

The story line was more intense in this book, with a bit more action and conflict. There were some unexpected surprises along the way, taking the story in directions that I hadn't anticipated. We learn a lot more about the mer culture that the author has created and I love the uniqueness of that.

One of the things I loved most about these characters is that they act, for the most part, true to age. There new characters in Evergreen, too, and they fell on both sides of the good vs. bad scale. The bad guys are just as interesting as the good and elicit just as much passion from the reader, even if it is frustration and annoyance!

Things to love about Evergreen...

--The more intense plot. This book had more bit to it, more conflict, more action.
--The emotions. There was a lot more depth to the characters and their feelings and that really brings a reader in.

My recommendation: This series is proving to be an engrossing and fun read. If you like mermaid fiction, give this series a try! ( )
  Kiki870 | Aug 27, 2013 |
Evergreen by Brenda Pandos
Loved learning about the way mermaid and her family live and how they are going to revenge her capture by getting her released. They must travel by car across the country to the safe house in Florida
where others will come to their aid.
Ashlyn will be going to college in Florida-that's the plan as we ended with book 1. But some of Fin's family has remained behind to cause her pain.
In Florida there is mayhem also as others have come after escaping the king and are in danger of dying...
The full truth does come out as to who is royalty and their powers and the mistruths about the clan.
Liked this book and there is another in the series, everlost
I received this book from the author in a book giveaway. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jun 13, 2013 |
I enjoy all things Mer but I absolutely loved this book! Everblue left off with some crazy stuff going down in Natatoria; Tatchi being left behind because of the bassface Azor forcing her promise, Fin and his parents escaping with the aid of their band of ferrymen, Fin proposing to Ash with a red stone for his ginger girl, and Fin, leaving Ash behind, taking a family road trip to Florida to escape evil mermen. So now we continue this adventure that takes place over a span of 11days...slightly less than actually but a lot can happen as Pandos proves.

While the dates being in the title of each chapter helped to keep me on track, I was still blown away with the amount of action and drama that occurred in said time frame. Doesn't anyone ever sleep?! Well, without the help of incapacitating octopus ink at least? I am by no means complaining whatsoever because Pandos brilliantly introduces new characters, subtly brings back memorable ones, and then weaves them seamlessly into the evergrowing, eversurprising, and evermysterious plot.

While the mission to rescue Tatchi is still a running theme, some other surprises take priority. Events that took place behind the palace walls years ago are well kept secrets...until now. Who really is "royalty"? What does being "promised" truly mean? Does anyone have the answers?

With mergirls like Galadriel, who may mirror Ash in looks but screams danger, and the return of the dark side with the likes of Uncle Alaster, who is so disgustingly evil that readers will recoil at the mention of his name, there is no room for boredom or even a potty break! I ended up burning my dinner because I left it on the stove as I was finishing the last chapter...not a smart thing to do *cough* children do not follow this example! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this amazing creation by Pandos and definitely recommend this to anyone and everyone. Action, romance, suspense, humor, and fantasy all rolled into this delectable treat. Bon appetite!

“We could try the window. It looks a little small but once the light comes in, we can lob Gidget through the window.” “Gidget?” I asked. “Yeah.” He pointed at Ash. “Girl midget.”

Pandos, Brenda (2012-06-26). Evergreen (Mer Tales) (Kindle Locations 4857-4860). Obsidian Mountain Publishing. Kindle Edition.
  CLovestoread | Apr 27, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 098498352X, Paperback)

Winner of Best I've Read in 2012: at Books Complete Me and Once Upon a Twilight.
-----
A kingdom on the brink of war.
A king on the fringes of insanity.
A family running for their lives.

Ash and Fin's only desire is to be together and dive into their happily ever after, though their conflicting worlds work to pull them apart. Neither is ready to convert to the other's life: become a human or a mer. Little do they know that somewhere in Natatoria a secret holds the fine fabric of everyone's lives together. If the truth is discovered, Ash and Fin will no longer have the luxury of waiting. They'll be forced to choose. But will it be for loyalty or love? Or will someone else make the choice for them if they can't decide? Enter the watery world of treachery, greed, and the binding mer kiss as the story continues with Evergreen, book two of Mer Tales.

** Stalk me by joining my email list to find out about new releases, contests, and much more at brendapandos.com or email me at brendapandos@gmail.com **

More books by Brenda:
The Emerald Talisman, Book #1 - Talisman Series (available now)
The Sapphire Talisman, Book #2 - Talisman Series (available now)
The Onyx Talisman, Book #3 - Talisman Series (available now)
Book #4 - Talisman Series - (coming 2013)
Everblue, book 1 - Mer Tales (available now)
Evergreen, book 2 - Mer Tales (available now)
Everlost, book 3 - Mer Tales (coming Feb 2013)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:27 -0400)

"A kingdom on the brink of war. A king on the fringes of insanity. A family running for their lives. Ash and Fin's only desire is to be together and dive into their happily ever after, though their conflicting worlds work to pull them apart. Neither is ready to convert to the other's life: become a human or a mer. Little do they know that somewhere in Natatoria a secret holds the fine fabric of everyone's lives together. If the truth is discovered, Ash and Fin will no longer have the luxury of waiting. They'll be forced to choose. But will it be for loyalty or love? Or will someone else make the choice for them if they can't decide? Enter the watery world of treachery, greed, and the binding mer kiss as the story continues with Evergreen, book two of Mer Tales"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,142,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible