Killer Crust by Chris Cavender

A good cozy and good mystery....His books are always interesting ( )
  Jjean7 | Mar 10, 2015 |
Don't want to spoil it in case you ant to read it, but the crime is totatally, unbelievable. ( )
  ahaehl | Dec 30, 2014 |
Cavender seems to have a lot of fun with this series. There are pizzas and close families and friends galore but there are also contests, enemies and even murder. Eleanor and sister Maddie decide to enter a pizza making contest, even though they don't trust the man running the contest. Since it is being held in their home town of Timber Ridge, NC they can at least be amongst friends and family while competing.

When Luigi, the person running the contest, if found dead, Eleanor and Maddie are on the job, working to help Police Chief Kevin Hurley find out who, and why. There are plenty of suspects since every single person in the contest had some reason to either hate or distrust Luigi. His staff and family aren't that fond of him either!

This one was fun, watching people compete in limited time and with restricted ingredients.

I'll keep reading this series as long as it keeps being this much fun. ( )
  bookswoman | Dec 15, 2013 |
Amazing reading experience, delightfully stunned number one Chris Cavender fan here. This book gets a perfect score, just like its four predecessors. There's more than usual going on in the book and it might just be the best in the series.

We get to learn more about Eleanor Swift and her younger sister Maddy Spencer. The thing is Eleanor is not really a goody two shoes character all of the time. This touch is subtle and don't we know it. Everyone must have noticed most of the nice hints that build the world of Timber Ridge and everyone living in it. The climax is better than any other and I was glad that Maddy gets a taste of the action. I almost forgot about the self defense measure she took in a previous book.

As I said the climactic end is very well written but the rest of the book match it. It was fun being introduced to a larger cast of suspects - of the murder of a pizza magnate - and I kept reading on waiting to see how the list would be whittled down to a select few. The location for this drama is an ultra fine hotel and restaurant which sets the stage for some welcome pizza pie making competition and some amateur sleuthing as well. There are people who are nice and others who are not as nice,and it was a treat to read who did what and who might be lying. Eleanor is in this competition and she is getting support from her newish boyfriend, while Maddy's beau Bob is also there. Things are moving nicely because this book mentions only thrice or thereabouts of Joe, the dead husband of Eleanor.

I knew before reading that this book might be a surefire bet for 5 stars and I tried to tone down my expectations and the fact that they were surpassed is wonderful. There is little waffling and rambling - unlike this gushing review! - and those who are fans of this series know what I'm talking about when I say that the economy of words for descriptions make up the sleek silhouette of the book's narrative.

Now a word to those who wonder if they are going to like it. If world building is what you're after then this is not a book for you. If you're into exotic locales and feisty lovemaking then that too is not what this book's about. This book is all about pacing and moodiness and warmth and complicity and a dash of old time mystery. I simply cannot emphasize how rare the page turning quality is. I've read many books recently and this one is the one. I feel just like a Star Wars fan would feel if the prequel trilogy was as good as Empire Strikes Back. Chris Cavender, don't you dare to put a foot wrong. But there simply must be a sixth book and more beyond that too.

I didn't get to nail the guilty this time, unlike the previous three times in the Eleanor Swift series. The guilty one is a male this time and to tell you the truth I was a bit lost in the crowd and who had what alibi. It was great to see Gina in a new setting and I hope she gets an appearance in the next installation. Kevin Hurley, the sheriff, no Chief of Timber Ridge, is slightly less dull but also less threatening. I liked the good people and appreciated how the baddies were portrayed. This book feels like the author is in full control of every element and has improved on each and put the words together to make a harmonious ensemble. I was tempted to write "this is a wonderful(50 times) book", but that would be childish. In other words, well, you've already read them. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jun 22, 2013 |
Killer Crust by Chris Cavender
Sisters Maddie and Ellie run A Slice of Delight Pizzeria. One of their arch enemies Laughing Luggi has given them a chance to win 25k by competing against others at the new resort in town to promote his company and the new resort, Timber Ridge.
There are many stipulations and others have been cheated out of even competing. They must spend a few days at the resort, his expense but their boyfriend and lawyer husband Bob can join them at meals. They've met the other 3 couples who are all from NC also.
When Luigi gets murdered and the contest will continue they are asked by Kevin the cop to help solve the mystery. They had prior knowledge to a lot by just talking to others at meal time and before going to their rooms. They move into one of the luxury rooms as it has 2 bedrooms and they can compare notes and go about their next task.
They are also able to get help from Gina who they know from the area and her uncle has financed the huge luxury resort for her to run.
Many others think the contest is rigged and others think the judges have been paid off. They learn much with help from others and find themselves in digger than they could ever imagine...
Recipes at the end. First book I've read by Chris and I can't wait to read more of them. ( )
  jbarr5 | Feb 7, 2013 |

"Eleanor Swift isn't amused when Laughing Luigi--the sketchy frozen pizza dough baron--walks into her Timber Ridge, North Carolina, pizzeria. But the contracts for his pizza-making contest seems on the up-and-up-- and sprucing up her beloved pizzeria, A Slice of Delight, with $25,000 in first-prize money would be a dream come true-- ... Which makes things all the messier when the pizza dough king fails to rise after being found on the floor-- murdered, with a slice of poisoned pizza! If Eleanor and Maddie want to find the real killer and win the $25,000, they're going to have to juggle seriously surreptitious sleuthing with pressure-packed pizza making performances-- before the real killer dishes them their own slices of death!"--Dust jacket.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,023,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible