The Viking's Witch by Kelli Wilkins

The Viking's Witch

by Kelli Wilkins

Firelight by Kristen Callihan (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: 1st in Darkest London series, a Paranormal Historical romance
    Moonglow by Kristen Callihan (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: Paranormal Historical romance, this is the 2nd in Darkest London Series. Its really good,

This book is set in my favorite era. I love reading books set in the Viking or Dark Ages. I have wondered why authors do not write more in this time period. There is so much history and information to write about it is amazing. I quickly grab any book about this era without thought to the genre.

Odaria is a witch. She knows it, the villagers know it and at one time no one cared. That is until one man who is suppose to be the leader and head of the church decides that God has told him to remove the witches from the village. I will never understand how man thinks that God is approving killing someone else.

It is night, Odaria has been held captive by the leader of the village for several weeks. Odaria is being dragged to a pyre. The village is going to burn her alive. As Odaria is being tired to the stake she starts cursing the people and trying to chant a spell that brings up a demon to help save her. The only thing that comes out of the darkness is a group of Vikings.

There is not a lot know about the Vikings. Sadly there is not true full-blooded Vikings left. However this leads to so much imagination about this race of people. To me this race of people would be an author's playground. To have some bit of history that very little is known.

I read this book very quickly. I guess that speed reading class I took in high school has really paid off. Of course I have been off work due to surgery so that has helped. However, if you enjoy reading about the Dark Ages, Vikings, mixed with some romance then check out this book.

Thanks for a great read Kelli.

The Bunnies and I give this book carrots. ( )
  kybunnies | Oct 19, 2014 |
I received a complementary copy of this book for a book tour on my blog, for my to give my honest review. You can see more reviews and extras there too. Concise Book Reviews by Michelle

I was pleasantly surprised when I read this book, as I usually do not read any kind of historical books, I have maybe read under 10 in my whole life, so when I say I was happy with this, that’s a great compliment, as its outside my comfort zone, but we did have what I must have, and that’s a bit of paranormal, which our witch Odaria, who I really like has. I was not sure how I would feel about Rothgar, but her turned out to be a rather decent guy for a Viking. At least most the time, some things he had done, really surprised me, and I had not seen it coming.

This book was full of excitement, and twist and turns that I did not see coming. I was not bored one little bit at all. The sex scenes were done in a very decent way, not overly uncomfortable for me. I do not read erotica, so was happy that this was not, or if it was supposed to be, it was rather mild, just right. Not a YA book for sure, but I think anyone 18 and up will enjoy it.

This story as you can guess takes place in the Viking era and Rothgar is described to be to look like Chris Hemingsworth in Thor, so to me, that’s what popped into my head when reading. Not a bad visual at all.

We start the story with Odaria about to be burned alive for being a witch, by a evil man names Brennen, and the Vikings show up to hunt for a missing cousin of Rothgar’s at just the right time, and in that happening, she was able to get away, then a new danger emerges, as some of the brutes find her bound still hiding, and lucky her, Rothgar finds them about to abuse her in the worst way, and saves her, and claims her as his own. Of course he is a decent guy most of the time, and only said this to his men, to leave her alone.

I won’t get into too much from there, as there is much that goes on, and the twists that happen make the story very enjoyable, and would hate to ruin it for you. Let’s just say, the spitfire fights they have are full of passion, and really are written well. Kelli’s writing is flawless and beautiful, her world-building is amazing, and you can literally “see” this world as it was back in that era. I really liked how were got to be inside Rothgar’s head as well as Odaria, it was nice; really let me see what he was feeling as well as her.
Here is some exciting quotes for you. this one is what Rothgar is thinking of Odaria after he saved her from his men:

He glanced at Odaria. She was a strange girl, indeed. The moment he had touched her in the cookroom, an odd prickling sensation had spread through his body. It wasn’t the thrill of excitement or the powerful rush one experienced after a good fight. Instead, it felt as
if he’d been jabbed with thousands of sharp pins. His hands had grown warm and throbbed when he’d caressed her. Odaria’s skin blazed as if she were on fire from the inside. He’d never felt anything like that before. But until today, he’d never met a girl like Odaria.

Although she was pretty, her courage impressed him most. She hadn’t cowered before him, crying and begging for mercy. She’d kept her wits about her and dealt with him as a man would. That was uncommon in a woman, but Odaria was far from common.

Her wavy raven-black hair hung past her shoulders, contrast-ing sharply against her creamy white skin. Her large eyes were deep green flecked with bits of gold. From what he saw of her body through that scrap of linen she wore, she was young, succulent, and curvy in all the right places. Just being near her made him—

Here is another sweet moment, but sad with Rothgar and Odaria:
“I dug a—”
“I know.” She glanced at the muddy spade in his hand. “Thank you. You must think it foolish of me to cry, but Chester was my only friend. He was all I had after my mother—” Odaria burst into tears, and a sudden downpour soaked him to the skin.
He gazed up at the sky. Heavy gray clouds seemed to hover over the cottage. Was it possible that Odaria’s tears drew down the rain?
He knelt on the wet earth and wrapped his arms around Odaria. “I do not think you are foolish. You loved him, and now he’s gone. I know how much it hurts to lose someone you love.”

Overall I loved this book, and highly recommend it for adults and mature upper teens (18 and up, has some mature sexual content and gore). 5 stars from me. ( )
  ConciseReviews | Aug 21, 2012 |

Scotland, 803 A.D.

After Rothgar witnesses Odaria’s powers firsthand, he strikes a bargain with her. The raven-haired beauty will use her magical abilities to help him with his quest in exchange for safe passage off the isle. But can this cunning woman be trusted, or is she using him to exact vengeance on her village?

Scotland, 803 A.D. About to be burned at the stake by her fellow villagers, Odaria does what any betrayed witch facing certain death would do. She calls down a curse. Within seconds, rampaging Norsemen raid the village, capturing everyone except her. But her reprieve is short-lived, and Odaria lands in the clutches of the Norse leader Rothgar. Can she remain true to herself and fight her growing attraction to this domineering man, or will she fall under his influence and be used for his ambitions? After Rothgar witnesses Odaria's powers firsthand, he strikes a bargain with her. The raven-haired beauty will use her magical abilities to help him with his quest in exchange for safe passage off the isle. But can this cunning woman be trusted, or is she using him to exact vengeance on her village? Together they must fight bloodthirsty villagers, battle a mutinous band of Norsemen, find a missing Norse ship, and learn to trust each other . . . before time is up.… (more)

Medallion Press

2 editions of this book were published by Medallion Press.

Editions: 1605421693, 1605422029

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,396,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible