Last Wool and Testament by Molly MacRae

Last Wool and Testament

by Molly MacRae

English (11)  Piratical (1)  All (12)
I know I started this book before, but I picked it up again since I couldn't remember how it ended. And now, having finished it, I think I started it but never finished it the last time I got it out of the library. Nothing from the middle half of the book on seemed familiar.

This is a fun cozy mystery. However, don't expect the yarn content to be anything but superficial. Yes, it's the first in the "Haunted Yarn Shop" mystery series. But unlike some other fiber-oriented cozy mystery series, this book at least (I can't vouch for the rest of the series) only uses the yarn shop as a setting. It's still enjoyable, and the "haunted" part was certainly true (and fun). But don't expect much in the way of yarn in this one. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 26, 2018 |
AUTHOR: MacRae, Molly
TITLE: The Last Wool & Testament
DATE READ: 12/24/15
RATING: 3.5/C+
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS Mystery/2012/ Penguin/ 316 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: #1 in Haunted yarn shop series
CHARACTERS AUTHOR: Kath Rutledge / granddaughter of Ivey who owned the yarn shop
TIME/PLACE 2011/Blue Plum TN
FIRST LINES It wasn't how I planned to spend my 39th birthday, driving like a crazed woman, from Richmond, Virginia to a cemetery in the mountains of east Tennessee.
COMMENTS: My least favorite read this year… just couldn't muster any feeling for any of the characters. Kath comes down from Richmond, VA to settle her grandmother's estate and there are several murders she gets involved w/. She discovers her grandmother's yarn/fiber shop is haunted. I doubt I will read on in this series. ( )
  pammykn | Dec 25, 2015 |
This story takes place in Plum Creek, Tennessee where Kath Rutledge inherits her grandmother's fiber and fabric shop, The Weaver's Cat. This book is full of fun characters, it's well written, the mystery is well plotted, and has fun tidbits about fiber arts. This is the first in a series and a most enjoyable one at that. If you have some time and would like to escape for an afternoon or two then I highly recommend this most enjoyable book. ( )
  MareF | Oct 8, 2014 |
This is an interesting new cozy series, with features common to other craft mysteries. This one includes the "life turned suddenly upside' heroine who's grandmother has suddenly died and left her the shop. But it also includes a ghost and an assortment of normal and off-kilter characters. ( )
  cfk | Apr 4, 2014 |
For a first book in a series, it was great and just kept plugging right along from the first page right up to the last word. Sometimes first books in a series can just seem way to "fluffy" or to much like setting the scene for future books. This book was not like that at all, which was a very refreshing thing to see in a first book. The whole paranormal side was a great touch to the story. The mystery of all the things going on when Kath comes to town for her Grandmother's funeral is so fascinating that you can't help but want to read on and on in the book once you start. So much happens in the mystery realm in the first few chapters that it really hooks you. I really enjoyed the characters in this book. They were so well developed and easy to like. As far as the details, they were great. At times they may have seemed a bit over the top, but there was a method to that madness, so to speak, and it all worked out as great writing in the end. This book had so much to it; mystery, paranormal, family drama, action, and adventure. If you read this book for nothing else you need to read it to learn more about Kath and her Grandmother "Crazy Ivy". The characters really make this book! If you are looking for a good mystery with a paranormal twist with murder and mayhem, you need to pick up this magical book for sure.

4/5 Stars! ( )
  AngiesAngels | Nov 19, 2013 |
For Mom and Dad, who gave my life warp, weft, and words. Jane Canby MacRae, James Lawrence Woodward MacRae
It wasn't how I'd planned to spend my thirty-ninth birthday, driving like a crazed woman from Richmond, Virginia, to a cemetery in the mountains of east Tennessee.

TGIF (Thank Goodness it's Fiber) is the name of the spunky group of fiber and needlework artists founded by Ivy McClellan, Kath's beloved grandmother. Though Ivy has recently passed on, the members still meet regularly at her fiber and fabric shop, The Weaver's Cat, which Kath has now inherited. But that's only the first in a series of surprises when Kath returns to the small town of Blue Plum, Tennessee, to settle her grandmother's affairs. There has been a murder, and it turns out her grandmother was the prime suspect. Before she can begin to clear her grandmother's name, Kath encounters a looming presence in the form of a gloomy ghost. It turns out the specter has just as much interest in solving the murder as Kath. So, with a little help from the members of TGIF and a stubborn spirit from beyond, Kath sets out to unravel the clues and hook the real killer.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,197,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible