Into the Arms of Madness: A Novel of…

Into the Arms of Madness: A Novel of Suspense (edition 2012)

by Regina Pacelli

Member:teresa1953
Title:Into the Arms of Madness: A Novel of Suspense
Authors:Regina Pacelli
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Member Giveaway Kindle Fire

Into the Arms of Madness: A Novel of Suspense by Regina Pacelli

Good read!! I am not going to try and give to much away in the review because I don't want to spoil it:)The twist in the book was not what I was expecting!! There were time in the book my heart would race with the anticipation of what was going to come next.
The ending could have been more wrapped up. I wish it would have gone more into detail on how she was more affected by what happened. ( )
  desmondmarie32 | Aug 22, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Member Giveaways and is cross-posted on Smashwords.

I'm not going to detail the victim-blaming and romanticization of abuse that Regina Pacelli's Into the Arms of Madness: A Novel of Suspense contains. It's a common, awful trope in thrillers. Let's just say that it's there, that Pacelli seems to have little sympathy for cycles of abuse, and that the novel would be better if it didn't contain lines such as, "I had said something—done something—to set him off. I had no clue ... how to put things right" (Loc. 1717).

Now, on to the good: Into the Arms of Madness also contains: a genuinely creepy would-be killer locked inside a gory fantasy world; nasty relatives who willfully enable his madness; an isolated lakeside location; a basement dank and smelly. The writing, while not particularly polished, is an essay-like recitation of the facts, but the pace of the story still zips along nicely: A couple of scenes caused me to start. It's a short, quick read.

In the epilogue, Bre mentions her new relationship, and it's hinted that the cycle of abuse has continued. If Pacelli had fleshed out more of the back story, detailing Todd's abusive behaviors and their effects on Bre, the novel might have felt less exploitative. Instead, signs of Todd's control and abuse blithely are shown to be side effects of his madness, and Bre is portrayed as a trooper for loving him enough to stay. Indeed, the novel is tagged with 'love story' on Smashwords. Written as it stands, this facile treatment of what clearly is domestic abuse overrides the rather enjoyable gore.

(Disclaimer: This review is based on a free .mobi ARC provided by the author, via Smashwords, in exchange for an honest review. No further compensation was received, and my review was not influenced by the free copy. All opinions expressed in the review are mine alone.) ( )
  diana.n | Aug 20, 2014 |
I received this book as part of a Member Giveaway from LibraryThing. I liked the writer's style, the pace was fast, and I read the book i one sitting as the suspense was gripping. The character of Todd was very interesting in the aspects of his madness. However, I like the other reviewers, find the pot unrealistic. Todd's madness is known to several different people and is allowed to continue, even though there are multiple opportunities to get him help. Also, the character of Bridget needs some help herself, which is never explored. Maybe if the book was longer, there plot and characters could be more developed. The author also needs to do some editing. I liked the authors style though, if the is some reworking of the plot, it could be a very good read. ( )
  calicocat901 | Jul 22, 2014 |
Into the Arms of Madness is a harrowing tale of madness and intrigue. It begins with a wedding. Todd and Bridget celebrate their lovely wedding and get ready to begin a happy life together. Only when Bridget wakes up the next morning she starts to notice that Todd’s behavior has changed.

Author Regina Pacelli takes us on a thrilling ride that leaves us asking ourselves how well do you really know someone and how much can love overlook? The suspense builds as Bridget wonders what is behind Todd’s peculiar behavior. Pacelli sets the pace with precision lending to the frightening moment we discover what Todd has been hiding and how will it affect Bridget. Pacelli brings every emotion to life with carefully constructed dialogue and superb narration.

For a suspenseful and exciting mystery you’ll be sure to love, I highly recommend it! ( )
  AllyMcMahon | Jun 20, 2014 |
I received this book for free in exchange for providing an honest review.

This book was unique. While the premise is rather far fetched, isn't that what fantasy is supposed to be? The book had its moments of suspense and the ending was not as I expected. It is a good book for a rainy day at the cottage. I did enjoy the book but I doubt that I'll read it a second time. ( )
  lexiesmom | Sep 1, 2013 |

Young newlyweds Todd and Bridget met at a two-hour seminar and took an immediate liking to each other. Smart, caring, and quick-thinking individuals, they've been devoted to each other and like two peas in a pod ever since. But, when on their honeymoon, Bridget learns bizarre and alarming things about Todd, things that he's kept secret until now, their idyllic romance begins careening out of control.
Todd has high hopes and wants nothing more than for Bridget to understand and be part of his world. As Bridget struggles to understand the man she married and used to think she knew all about, and the situation escalates, the events that unfold will end up putting their sanity and love for each other to the test.

Regina Pacelli is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,254,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible