Into the Arms of Madness: A Novel of…

Into the Arms of Madness: A Novel of Suspense (edition 2012)

by Regina Pacelli

Member:teresa1953
Title:Into the Arms of Madness: A Novel of Suspense
Authors:Regina Pacelli
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Member Giveaway Kindle Fire

Into the Arms of Madness: A Novel of Suspense by Regina Pacelli

Ever since Bre and Todd met at a seminar, they immediately became enamored with each other and have been inseparable. Even though at first glance, it may seem like a match made in heaven, Todd doesn't talk very much about his past, and he has been hiding terrible secrets from Bre. While on their honeymoon in a secluded cabin, Bre discovers some very disturbing facts about her new husband. Todd has problems distinguishing his alternate fantasy world-where he spends most of his time-from reality. His fantasies have become very dark and disturbing. Todd's family shows up to the cabin and further expand on their son's psychological problems. Bre now has to face whether she is going to continue her commitment to her new husband, and whether unconditional love is worth fighting for, in light of Todd's psychological problems.

Regina Pacelli's first fiction book is filled with a mix of love and psychological suspense. This book has some pretty disturbing content and therefore the more squeamish crowd may have issues.

*I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JaelCherokee | Sep 8, 2014 |
I have mixed feelings about the author's writing style. On one hand, it was concise and fast-paced; however, it was too wordy about minute details and didn't provide enough character development. Furthermore, the plot was too far-fetched for me to enjoy or appreciate. It was just strange.

***I received a free copy of this book, and in exchange, I have provided an honest review.*** ( )
  RachKC | Sep 5, 2014 |
I received a copy of this book from the author through librarythings. It did not change how I reviewed the book and the following is my honest opinion and review.
It is a shorter novel, at just 224 pages; therefore, I read this psychological thriller in one day.
I liked the book, but I did not love it. What kept me from loving it is the lack of character development. I never got the chance to fall in love with any of the characters, so I was not rooting for any of the characters. More character development would have definitely made me feel more connected to the two main characters of Todd and Bridget. Lacking a connection to the characters kept me from loving the book. I did like the suspense that kept me wondering what would happen next and I was surprised by what happened several times.
My favorite quote: “One more row of my beautiful sweater, my beautiful dream of happy ever after, unraveled.”
The Bottom Line/ Quick Overview
• Fiction
• Suspense
• Psychological thriller
• Creeptastic (creepy)
• Perfect book to read in one day
http://lostbraincell.weebly.com/blog/fast-paced-suspense-filled-ride ( )
  lostbraincell | Sep 1, 2014 |
Good read!! I am not going to try and give to much away in the review because I don't want to spoil it:)The twist in the book was not what I was expecting!! There were time in the book my heart would race with the anticipation of what was going to come next.
The ending could have been more wrapped up. I wish it would have gone more into detail on how she was more affected by what happened. ( )
  desmondmarie32 | Aug 22, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Member Giveaways and is cross-posted on Smashwords.

I'm not going to detail the victim-blaming and romanticization of abuse that Regina Pacelli's Into the Arms of Madness: A Novel of Suspense contains. It's a common, awful trope in thrillers. Let's just say that it's there, that Pacelli seems to have little sympathy for cycles of abuse, and that the novel would be better if it didn't contain lines such as, "I had said something—done something—to set him off. I had no clue ... how to put things right" (Loc. 1717).

Now, on to the good: Into the Arms of Madness also contains: a genuinely creepy would-be killer locked inside a gory fantasy world; nasty relatives who willfully enable his madness; an isolated lakeside location; a basement dank and smelly. The writing, while not particularly polished, is an essay-like recitation of the facts, but the pace of the story still zips along nicely: A couple of scenes caused me to start. It's a short, quick read.

In the epilogue, Bre mentions her new relationship, and it's hinted that the cycle of abuse has continued. If Pacelli had fleshed out more of the back story, detailing Todd's abusive behaviors and their effects on Bre, the novel might have felt less exploitative. Instead, signs of Todd's control and abuse blithely are shown to be side effects of his madness, and Bre is portrayed as a trooper for loving him enough to stay. Indeed, the novel is tagged with 'love story' on Smashwords. Written as it stands, this facile treatment of what clearly is domestic abuse overrides the rather enjoyable gore.

(Disclaimer: This review is based on a free .mobi ARC provided by the author, via Smashwords, in exchange for an honest review. No further compensation was received, and my review was not influenced by the free copy. All opinions expressed in the review are mine alone.) ( )
  diana.n | Aug 20, 2014 |

Young newlyweds Todd and Bridget met at a two-hour seminar and took an immediate liking to each other. Smart, caring, and quick-thinking individuals, they've been devoted to each other and like two peas in a pod ever since. But, when on their honeymoon, Bridget learns bizarre and alarming things about Todd, things that he's kept secret until now, their idyllic romance begins careening out of control.
Todd has high hopes and wants nothing more than for Bridget to understand and be part of his world. As Bridget struggles to understand the man she married and used to think she knew all about, and the situation escalates, the events that unfold will end up putting their sanity and love for each other to the test.

Regina Pacelli is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,735,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible