The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 9 by Sai Yukino

The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 9

by Sai Yukino

Series: The Story of Saiunkoku (9)

This is basically a “fluff” volume, although it's not bad – a nice transition from the recent threat to Shurei's dreams to Shurei and Eigetsu beginning their time as joint governors of Sa Province.

The stuff with Ryuren was mostly silly. I don't know that I like him much, but Yukino's attempts to paint him as more than just “that irresponsible weirdo” were interesting. The stuff with Reishin's Shoka masks was just...creepy. I get that Reishin loves his brother, but he needs to scale it back some.

My favorite part of the volume was probably the flashback at the beginning. I enjoyed getting to see young Shoka, who apparently has had to do and see horrible things from a very young age. As creepy as Reishin can sometimes be, I found it kind of touching that he still adores and supports his older brother, even knowing what Shoka has had to do in order to protect the family.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Nov 29, 2014 |

Sai Yukinoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Yura, KairiIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Han, Su MonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Shurei Hong, a minor noble, is asked to become consort to the emperor, and convince him to stop shirking his responsibilities.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,568,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible