Norwegian by Night by Derek Miller

Norwegian by Night (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Derek Miller

Member:petergw
Title:Norwegian by Night
Authors:Derek Miller
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction

Norwegian by Night by Derek B. Miller (Author) (2012)

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson (kristenl)
    kristenl: Both are Scandanavian stories centered around eccentric old men, and both contain historical flashbacks.
    One boy missing by Stephen Orr (infosleuth)
    infosleuth: Insightful about father/son relationships and orphaned children.
    Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg (charl08)
    charl08: Thoughtful crime in Scandinavia

English (27)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (29)
An utterly surprising and wonderful thriller with an unexpected and not necessarily likeable protagonist. ( )
  fderby | Mar 28, 2016 |
I am not sure what to think about this book. I am at a loss for words about the ending. I am just puzzled. Puzzled enough that I will seek out some friends who have also read it to try to make some sense of it. ( )
  SharonRILINK | Mar 4, 2016 |
With four chapters left I think I can safely say that this book has been a waste of time, which is a shame as Sean Mangan, narrated the audio book and I have never been disappointed with one of his books, until now. The book seems to revolve around a murder, the victims young son and an old man and of course more bad guys. The worst part of the story is that it jumps from present to past so quickly and stays in the past recounting memories of younger, fitter days. Then for a twist occasionally the old blokes childhood mate arrives upon the scene to counsel his ageing friend. Only thing is I think the mate is long gone from this world. Two stars because Sean M. Narrated so well.

Have just noticed that another reviewer thinks that the old bloke, Sheldon, and his mate, Donny, are one and the same. Maybe it's me who is suffering from dementia! ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
The Short of It:

True, this story is considered crime fiction but it’s wrapped in memory and heartache and has a great protagonist that you can’t help but root for.

The Rest of It:

Sheldon Horowitz, a former Marine sniper in the Korean War, now widowed at 82, agrees to leave New York to live with his granddaughter Rhea and her husband Lars, in Norway.

Norway is foreign to Sheldon in a lot of ways. He misses his old life in New York, his wife of many years, Mabel and the son he lost in the Vietnam War, Saul. But Sheldon’s biggest problem in Norway is the dementia that is slowly taking hold him. In his mind, the memories of his former life are crisp and so real that he loses track of what’s real and what’s not.

One day, alone in his apartment, he opens his door to a woman and child in distress and that begins his trek across the country.

When I pitched this book to my book club over a year ago, it was more of a crap shoot than anything because it’s not the kind of book we typically pitch. At the time, we had not really read crime fiction for the club before and it’s been a really long time since we’ve read a book with an older protagonist. So, I took a chance and I’m glad I did.

It was a surprisingly good read. Full of heart and yes, a little bit of sadness but with it being crime fiction and all, it was also a page turner, which is good for this time of the year when you are wrapping up loose ends and just want kick back with a good book.

Sheldon Horowitz is a character that will stay with me for a very long time. He’s smart, has spunk, is loving and understanding when he needs to be but he’s also strong-willed and opinionated which makes for some colorful conversations. When his loved ones are put in peril, his body seems to know what to do even though he is 82 years old and not the man he used to be, at least not physically. I seriously adored him.

Have you read Norwegian by Night or heard of it? I heard of it for the first time last year but it’s gotten quite a bit of publicity:

An ECONOMIST TOP FICTION TITLE OF THE YEAR
A FINANCIAL TIMES BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR
A GUARDIAN BEST CRIME AND THRILLER OF THE YEAR
A KIRKUS REVIEWS BEST CRIME NOVEL OF THE YEAR

It will be interesting to hear what the club has to say about it. On the surface it feels like there is not enough to discuss but I suspect that there is since it touches on so many different topics (war, dementia, aging, Miller’s handling of past and present and his use of fantastical elements to tell the story).

It’s a great book to end the year with.

For more reviews, visit my blog: Book Chatter. ( )
  tibobi | Dec 30, 2015 |
this book is funny which is a surprise looking at the synopsis. I so enjoyed the old main character. Nothing to lose he just does what he thinks is right to make up for the loss of his son.
When he tries to get rid of the tractor, I was laughing out loud.
Great book. ( )
  kakadoo202 | May 7, 2015 |

Miller, Derek B.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Larsstuvold, RuneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roth, OlafÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my son
It is summer and luminous.

A literary novel, a police thriller, and the funniest book about war crimes and dementia you are likely to read anytime soon.

Sheldon Horowitz—widowed, old, impatient, impertinent has grudgingly agreed to move in with his granddaughter Rhea and her new husband Lars in Norway: a country of blue and ice with one thousand Jews, and not one of them a former Marine sniper in the Korean war turned watch repairman, who failed his only son by sending him to Vietnam to die. Not until now, anyway.

Home alone one morning in unfamiliar Oslo, Sheldon witnesses a dispute between the Balkan woman who lives upstairs and an aggressive stranger. When events turn dire, Sheldon seizes the neighbor's young son to shield him from the violence, and the two flee the scene. But old age and circumstances are altering Sheldon's experience of time and memory. As he and the boy attempt to make their way to safety, Sheldon becomes haunted by dreams of his son Saul's life and guilt about his death. In looking for a safe haven in an alien world, reality and fantasy, past and present, weave together, forcing Sheldon and the boy ever-forward to a dramatic climax.

Norwegian by Night introduces an ensemble of unforgettable characters—Sheldon and the boy, Rhea and Lars, a Balkan war criminal named Enver, and Sigrid and Petter, the brilliantly dry-witted investigating officers—as they chase each other, and their own demons, through the wilderness at the end of the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:02 -0400)

After witnessing a murder in Olso, elderly former Marine sniper and watch repairman, Sheldon Horrowitz, flees to safety with the newly orphaned son of the victim and becomes haunted by memories of his own son who died in Vietnam.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921844884, 1922070424

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,854,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible