The Murmurings by Carly Anne West

The Murmurings

by Carly Anne West

This book had such good reviews, but it couldn’t have been more of a disappointment. The cover is unsettling and the synopsis has you expecting this dark, psychological thriller but it all fell flat for me.

When the book opens, Sophie’s older sister, Nell, is the talk of the town, having been locked away in a mental hospital for schizophrenia and then found dead after running away. Everyone at school avoids Sophie like the plague.

Number one reason I didn’t like this book, Sophie. She made so many stupid decisions it was ridiculous. The Doctor at the mental institution has had an interest in Sophie ever since her sister died. Sophie knew this, and was completely freaked out by him, yet she couldn’t stay away. She went there multiple times - ALONE. Even after she was directly told NEVER to go there again because it was so dangerous. It was right after this warning that she decided it was a great time for her to drop in for a chat, alone... at night. Brilliant! It was things like this that made it impossible for me to feel bad for Sophie. It was her own stupid fault that she got into the trouble she did.

Reason two, the villian, Dr. Keller. I don’t want to say too much here and spoil anything. Let’s just say it was hard to believe his reasons for doing the awful things he did. At least he had a reason, I guess? What was the excuse for everyone else working there? I just can’t imagine a whole staff of people working at a mental institution being that cruel for no reason at all. Half of the people working there didn’t even know what was going on; they just turned a blind eye and did what they were told.

Reason three was Nell’s mother & aunt Becca. For those who have read the book, I’m sure you know why I’m saying this. I can’t go into detail without spoiling anything, but they made one really big, really stupid decision that left me questioning their own sanity! Apprantely bad decision making skills run in the family.

Overall, the flimsy plot-line wasn’t enough to make up for all the stupid and/or cruel characters making bad decisions. Over and over. ( )
  BornBookish | Apr 15, 2014 |
When I saw this cover I thought this was one seriously creepy cover. The premise gives the impression that it will be a haunting with a mystery that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Sophie is grieving her sister, Nell’s death. Nell heard the murmurs and they thought she was crazy and committed her into a mental health facility only to end up dead. Sophie is now trying to piece her family’s life back together. But the strong disbelief that her sister committed suicide, she find herself in the same mental hospital and has to uncover the mystery of what really happened to her sister.

Sophie’s home was torn apart with the death of her sister. Her mother drinks to much, she sees and hears things she doesn’t want to but even though I felt for her, I just never really felt her grief, and she really didn’t do all that much about finding out what happened to her sister till much later in the book when she was in hospital. Evan was the boy in the story and the love interest. He seemed sweet but a little too conveniently there when she needs help. And he needed her help as well. Their relationship developed from a friendship and grew into somethings a little more, but it really wasn’t a major part of the story which was okay with me.

From the beginning we are dropped into Sophie’s world, of hearing the murmurs, the distant things in the corners of her vision, it was certainly had it creepy moments. But somewhere along the way I found myself following a different story. There were things that come into play like, Seers, and something called a Taker. It was all a little strange, I mean this is suppose to be a thriller, and be creepy. It turned out to be a little more of a paranormal thriller. One thing I really did enjoy is, that there was plenty of villains, especially the horrible staff at the mental hospital. They were some pretty devious people.

While this didn’t creep me out to the point that I turned on all the lights at night, it was had an intriguing plot. And in the end, it turned out to be a fairly enjoyable read. It was a little bit eerie, and it had some paranormal happenings going on. It was worth picking up and fans of psychological and paranormal thrillers will enjoy this one. ( )
  jeneaw | Sep 30, 2013 |
The Murmurings has all the elements for quality creepfest: an original, creepy as hell creature from beyond the grave; a creepy doctor driven by his own obsession; and a conspiracy just below the surface.

Sophie is a pretty average teenager--despite the fact that her sister had schizophrenia and was recently found dead. To cope, her mom turned to alcoholism and Sophie is ostracized by her peers. To make things worse, Sophie can hear these whispers, murmurings really, just beside her ear that she can't quite make out--all the symptoms that drove her sister insane and landed her in the mental facility Oakside. Or did it? Was her sister telling the truth?

There is some pretty good quality romance but the romance does take a backseat the the plot. Evan is a likable love interest, I love his sweetness and insecurity. I wouldn't delve into this for the love story though, there is so much here far more worthy than the love story. The plot is the golden goose.

I received a free copy from edelweiss. thanks! ( )
  lovelylime | Sep 21, 2013 |
Creepy, amazing writing, very literary feel. Real review closer to release date! ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |
Sophie worries that she may wind up in a mental institution like her sister Nell when she starts hearing the same ghostly whispering that doomed Nell. Was Nell crazy? Is Sophie? Or do both sisters have an ability to hear things from beyond the grave? Worse, does their ability put them in danger? Sophie's new love interest, Evan, wants to help find out what happened to Nell when she died after escaping from the Oakside Behavioral Institute. Sophie and Evan investigate Nell's death, meeting Adam, the former Oakside worker who helped Nell escape. Ignoring, of course, both Adam's and Evan's advice to stay away from Oakside, Sophie goes there anyway and becomes trapped when an unethical doctor convinces her alcoholic mother to commit her. It seems the doctor has his own reasons for getting "seers" under his control. Now Sophie must find a way to escape from Oakside on her own. For a short time, West flirts with the possibility that Sophie's "murmurings" might be psychological rather than paranormal but drops that mystery in favor of pure suspense. The plotting is effective, including secret prowling around the institute at night, surreptitious meetings with a sympathetic ally, fun with mirrors and heart-thumping encounters. A steady pace helps to compensate for an overlong story. Some decent frights will keep the pages turning. ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Apr 4, 2013 |

After her older sister dies from an apparent suicide and her body is found hanging upside down by one toe from a tree, sixteen-year-old Sophie starts to hear the same voices that drove her sister to a psychotic break.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,082,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible