Skybound by Aleksandr Voinov

Skybound (2012)

by Aleksandr Voinov

~~~

The question will be; is this 44 page book worth it's price? When something is priceless, like this book, then it is a privilege to own. Trust me, skip lunch, gift yourself this book and own a treasure.

"...my head against the cool comfort of the fighter plane's wheel, its wing shielding but never embracing me. I'm a cold nestling tonight."

THE WRITING

The beautiful placement of each word in this story is something to cherish. A gem to be held dear. Aleksandr Voinov has truly outdone himself, which is saying something. It's clear that he cares deeply for this work, he sculpted it with a loving touch, creating a three dimensional book with shape and form. I was a devotee before this, but now, he has achieved a level in his writing that has me awestruck and honored to be sharing his writing journey.

THE STORY

Within these pages I was soaring and diving. Slowly climbing, reaching above the clouds of war, to a moment where time stood still. Then the terrifying dive back down, where the impact of reality made everything blurry and sharp. Where what matters becomes clear against the despair at the end of the world.

"A gentle, warm, sweet pain...."

THE CHARACTERS

Baldur Vogt - Ace fighter pilot who is the center of the universe, to Felix. Baldur is smooth, strong and charming. He just needs a little luck.

"There's a reflection of flame in his features, like in the painting of an old master. Flesh made light."

Felix - This story is seen through the eyes of Felix and it is easy to be inside him. At first seemingly timid we learn that he so much more. He's surprising and brave and so beautifully in love. A wonderful character.

"Who am I to be worthy of him?"

__________________

Honestly, I had to trust Voinov on this one. WWII isn't my typical 'go to' for m/m romance. I should have known better and won't doubt again.

Something pulls me towards him, irrespective of the impossibility of it all. I hope that he doesn't notice just as much as I hope that he's pulled too.

~~~

Take a look at my Male/Male Romance Book Blog:

LisaT131 | Sep 21, 2013 |
Brilliant writing is brilliant.

It's like Mr Voinov has been given a whole different set of words from the rest of us. And yet, upon a closer look, they are the same. Same prepositions, verbs, nouns... Why do they seem different? I have no answer. It just is.

I am amazed. Just amazed.

This was cold, hard, gritty, dark, sweet, caring, and beautiful. I ended up loving the point of view. Never thought I could.

Elegant turns of phrase, and imagery to die for. I almost heard the roaring engines passing over my bed when reading. Appreciated the research that clearly went into creating the backdrop.

Absolutely loved the romance, especially the fact that it was heart-felt more than explicit. I adore that. I absolutely adore that.

Thank you author. Well done. I will look for more of your words. ( )
  AnnaLund2011 | Sep 20, 2013 |
Felix, a mechanic, falls for a fighter pilot in the last few weeks before the German defeat and is somewhat surprised to find that his feelings are reciprocated. ( )
  queen_ypolita | Sep 6, 2013 |
Set in Germany in 1945, Skybound brings us Felix, a young Schwarzer Mann, an airfield mechanic with a great admiration and love for flying ace Baldur Vogt. It's near the end of the war, and the German aces (Experten) are fiercely trying to defend Berlin as the Allied forces attack.

I was immediately intrigued by the premise of this novella, as I don't think I've ever read a book set in this era from a German point of view. Most fiction (and film) addressing this period tends to be from the Allied POV, and the reality of German soldiers, pilots, etc. is not even considered. I'd also known that Aleks had a thing for WWII history and I wanted to see how his interest translated onto the page.

As a result, I inhaled this novella, reading it in one sitting. It is at once poignant and bitter, heartening and harrowing. And it was thought-provoking, portraying a different mindset than what is often assumed of all German forces--the virulent Nazi beliefs are not shared by all. I love this novella for its story, but also for what I have learned, and I was especially delighted to learn some German terms (aided by the helpful glossary at the back). I would love to read more WWII-set stories from Aleksandr, and I hope he releases some more in the near future. ( )
  alyslinn | May 25, 2013 |
I had a hard time with this book...I don't usually read books written in first person, because I find that for me, it just drags me out of the story. It probably took me until I was 1/3 of the way thru before I could lose myself in Baldur & Felix's world. That being said, I'm very glad I stuck it out because I ended up really liking their story. It was very different from anything else of the author's that i have read. I look forward to the promised full length novel to follow. ( )
1 vote FanGirlMom | Apr 2, 2013 |
added by gsc55 | editPrism Book Alliance, Ulysses (May 2, 2015)

added by gsc55 | editPadme's Library (Apr 26, 2015)

added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Sue (May 11, 2014)

2012 - Riptide
2016 - 44Raccoons

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,533,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible