Valkyrie Burning by Evan Currie

Valkyrie Burning

by Evan Currie

So far the books in the Hayden War Cycle (or Warrior’s Wings as it seems to be called sometimes) series are keeping a steady 10 out of 10 star rating from me.

The action continues with “the sarge” continuing to kick ass big time. The fleet action also winds up with the alien alliance sending a real flotilla to expulse these bothersome and primitive humans from the Hayden system. I do not think I’m spoiling much of the plot by saying that their plans doesn’t work exactly as they planned.

We also continue to get insights into the alien alliance and how the war has been caused by the alliance race Ros’El who appear to be scientific wizards but truly antisocial bunglers in most other things. It’s still a bit of mystery as to why they seem to be so bent on getting the Hayden system though.

As with the previous books it’s well written with realistic action (for being science fiction of course) both on the ground and in space. I liked the little surprise at the end which really makes me want to read the next one in the series. That one unfortunately isn’t supposed to come out until 2013. It is also said to be the conclusion of the series.

If I should complain about something it' would be the statement in the book blurb that says “taking enemy worlds in response to the attacks on their own”. That’s a very much exaggerated statement. I wouldn’t call a raid freeing POW’s as “taking enemy worlds”. This is an extremely minor complaint though. ( )
  perjonsson | Oct 28, 2017 |
Synopsis Sgt. Aida comes back to Hayden to push out the remnant of the elite alien soldiers. At the same time, Space Fleet Valkyrie must deal with another space based alien invasion. Poor Hayden, it just can't catch a break.   My Thoughts I thoroughly enjoyed this. Aida is a kickass sergeant and man, with her implants, she does a lot of damage. In many ways it reminds me of Neal Asher's Polity universe, with it's integration of humanity and A.I.   The space battle was meh, as are most space battle that I read now. After reading Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet and his in-depth explanation of space maneuvers, time, timing, communications etc, I find these simpler battles kind of like kindergarten.   Now the fight between Aida and the alien soldier, that was good! And if you ever think of elevators as boring, with sleep inducing muzak, then you need to read this book, it'll change your view, REAL QUICK.   Overall, I'm really liking Currie's works. He could use a good editor to polish him up, but the mechanics are all good and the foundations are solid. Kind of like Dean's old muscle car from Supernatural.   Author: Evan Currie   Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars     Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,453,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible