I, Zombie by Hugh Howey

Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 306 pages
Rating:***

I, Zombie by Hugh Howey

An interesting take on the zombie tale. It's a collection of stories taken from the viewpoint of the zombies. The author paints them as monsters on the outside, but still human, with memories and feeling pain, on the inside. They are driven by hunger that they can't control.

That viewpoint makes the story very, very, very dark. The characters are trapped in a hell of unexpressed humanity.

It's also very graphic and gruesome. You get the details of zombie decay and destruction. You get the vivid pain and suffering. You may even feel a bit sorry for the zombies. ( )
  dougcornelius | May 8, 2014 |
A different take on the Zombie novels...it's from the Zombie point of view! Hugh Howey has another winner. ( )
  RosanneE | Mar 14, 2014 |
I loved his shorter works, but in this book the story is repetitive, monotonous and all colour is quickly drained from it. The gore quickly becomes annoying as well. He writes some very good characters, but otherwise this book was a dud. ( )
  StigE | Feb 22, 2014 |
Only 200 something pages but those pages are full of despair. It's an endless wait for a happy ending that never comes. Like a zombie driven by hunger I kept turning the pages just to get my hopes crushed once again. This book does not so much live off the gore of which there is plenty but off a wide range of feelings and emotions. Ever felt sorry for a zombie? Ever wondered if there was still a thinking mind inside of that slowly shuffling, loudly moaning body? It isn't every day that I want to shoot something so badly while wanting to hug it at the same time and tell it that everything is going to be okay.

This isn't a story about survivors. This is a story about people you wished they had survived. A story about zombies told from the other side of the fence.

There is no real action. There is lots of things being human. There is hardcore swearing, gross tales of devouring the living, and many moments where I just held my breath until I realized once again: there is no hope!

Good one, Hugh. ( )
  J4N3 | Sep 23, 2013 |
I, Zombie follows a variety of zombies through their everyday lives: shuffling around, attacking humans, rotting, and moaning. That doesn't sound too exciting, does it? This book has the only zombies I have ever seen that have fully conscious, normal people behind those vacant, rotting faces. Zombies are horrifying enough on their own (walking dead that want to eat us), but putting a person that can't communicate or control their actions inside each one makes the situation infinitely worse. The horror isn't just for the survivors; it's even more so for the zombies. They are a captive audience to every meal eaten, their bodies degenerating, and whatever action their body takes while experiencing it with all of their senses. Every wound is excruciating and they can't even make the slightest move to alleviate the pain.

Although the existence is the same with every person, their reactions, emotions, and experiences differ from person to person. One religious woman thought she was being damned for sins during her life and she continually reflected on her life. Another very old woman was elated to be able to move again and delighted in feeding off the young after she had been in a nursing home, immobile and waiting to die. A survivalist woman reflects on the irony that she was so prepared in her apartment for the apocalypse, but isn't even wearing shoes in her current existence. A drug addict suddenly realizes that his mother could still be there inside her wasting, unresponsive body and that she knew when he beat her or shot up heroin in front of her. Some wish to die, while others prefer to exist in some manner rather than be permanently dead. One even wanted to turn his friends into zombies, giving in to the uncontrollable urges of his body. The thought processes of each person were fascinating to read. Hugh Howey did a wonderful job of capturing the voices of vastly different people from Alaskan tourists to high powered business people to drug addicts. Each chapter changed in tone and completely immersed me in each character's story from their perspective.

This book is incredibly bleak. There is really no hope for anyone. The humans have no idea the zombies have any sort of consciousness left and are either eaten by them or kill them indiscriminately. The zombies know that other zombies are conscious, but are damned to be utterly alone. Each zombie is trapped in their own mind and realized what they should have done with their lives before it was considered a luxury to be able to move or scratch your nose or decide which direction you want to walk. They realize they were already zombies when they were alive, not doing the things they really wanted to do. The little things added up and take away what free will they had, like addiction, drive to fit societal norms, fear, boredom, and the comfort of familiarity.

I, Zombie is an amazing book that grabbed me right from the beginning. The disconnected narratives worked well in painting a horrifying picture from so many different perspectives. It's not for the faint of heart as there are a great many descriptions of eating people, rotting, and various bodily functions. I highly recommend this to any zombie fan looking for a thought provoking and depressing read. ( )
  titania86 | Aug 29, 2013 |

"Proceed with caution or not at all. And be forewarned: This is not a zombie book. This is a different sort of tale. It is a story about the unfortunate, about those who did not get away. It is a human story at its rotten heart. It is the reason we can't stop obsessing about these creatures, in whom we see all too much of ourselves."--Amazon.… (more)

11 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible