I, Zombie by Hugh Howey

Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 306 pages
Rating:***

I, Zombie by Hugh Howey

You may have seen warnings about this book that it's gory and it's not for the weak of... stomach. This is extremely true. Do not ignore these warnings. Granted, I read this book while eating dinner (consisting of noodles, no less) but I have a pretty strong stomach.

This is quite a different type of zombie book, one that I have not come across before (and I've read a decent amount of zombie books!). It takes your typical flesh-eating, shuffling zombie and wonders what if the original human mind did not disappear? Basically the mind becomes a slave to the virus (or whatever, this point was not relevant in the book) that turns a normal human being into a zombie. As a human trapped inside a zombie body, you feel incredible revulsion over what your body is doing, to the point where you feel like throwing up, but the body doesn't stop and you can do nothing to control your actions.

The book was pretty unsettling and certainly is not for everyone. I'm glad that I read it but would never read it again, that's for sure. ( )
  preetalina | Apr 2, 2017 |
An interesting take on the zombie tale. It's a collection of stories taken from the viewpoint of the zombies. The author paints them as monsters on the outside, but still human, with memories and feeling pain, on the inside. They are driven by hunger that they can't control.

That viewpoint makes the story very, very, very dark. The characters are trapped in a hell of unexpressed humanity.

It's also very graphic and gruesome. You get the details of zombie decay and destruction. You get the vivid pain and suffering. You may even feel a bit sorry for the zombies. ( )
  dougcornelius | May 8, 2014 |
A different take on the Zombie novels...it's from the Zombie point of view! Hugh Howey has another winner. ( )
  RosanneE | Mar 14, 2014 |
I loved his shorter works, but in this book the story is repetitive, monotonous and all colour is quickly drained from it. The gore quickly becomes annoying as well. He writes some very good characters, but otherwise this book was a dud. ( )
  StigE | Feb 22, 2014 |
Only 200 something pages but those pages are full of despair. It's an endless wait for a happy ending that never comes. Like a zombie driven by hunger I kept turning the pages just to get my hopes crushed once again. This book does not so much live off the gore of which there is plenty but off a wide range of feelings and emotions. Ever felt sorry for a zombie? Ever wondered if there was still a thinking mind inside of that slowly shuffling, loudly moaning body? It isn't every day that I want to shoot something so badly while wanting to hug it at the same time and tell it that everything is going to be okay.

This isn't a story about survivors. This is a story about people you wished they had survived. A story about zombies told from the other side of the fence.

There is no real action. There is lots of things being human. There is hardcore swearing, gross tales of devouring the living, and many moments where I just held my breath until I realized once again: there is no hope!

Good one, Hugh. ( )
  J4N3 | Sep 23, 2013 |

"Proceed with caution or not at all. And be forewarned: This is not a zombie book. This is a different sort of tale. It is a story about the unfortunate, about those who did not get away. It is a human story at its rotten heart. It is the reason we can't stop obsessing about these creatures, in whom we see all too much of ourselves."--Amazon.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,152,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible