An Airship Named Desire by Katherine…

An Airship Named Desire

by Katherine McIntyre

202515,329 (4)None

Great steampunk story without too much technical detail about fictitious machines. Mild profanity and sex which is uncharacteristic of most steampunk which normally glorifies vulgarity, obscenity, and explicit sex. I liked the author's insight into characters and hope we see a sequel starring the globe-trotting airship, female captain, and her crew. ( )
  mfvetter | Dec 20, 2014 |
Original review here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2013/03/indie-book-review-airship-named-desi...

An Airship Named Desire is a steampunk adventure following First Mate Beatrice (aka Bea) and her crew of smugglers. One day while out on a smuggling job, Bea and her crewmate Jensen take a box from a British trading ship. They don’t know what is in the box, but they are getting paid a lot of money to steal it for someone. But they don’t know that their lives are even more at stake when the box is protected by the military. Now they are being chased for this one box. They know the contents inside are very valuable. So valuable in fact someone close to them is willing to kill for it.

What an exciting read this was. From the beginning, this was an adrenaline rush. It was like a steampunk take of Pirates of the Caribbean (the first and second movies). I love this alternate steampunk world McIntyre has created. It is set sometime in the future, but the style is very Victorian. This book is a book full of adventure, action, betrayal, lies, laughs, and a bit of romance.

Our leading lady Bea was quite a hard shell to crack. She is the First Mate and she has to keep her cool. She is a bit of an emotional wreck because of her past. She was a very tough woman and quite butch. I liked her a lot. She could be quite scary at times, but it helped her because she wasn’t afraid of anything. She could take on anyone, doesn’t matter if they are a man or a woman. Bea had a lot of guts. I love how she was willing to do whatever it takes to protect her crew. I absolutely loved her crew. Isabella was a lot of fun. She was a gypsy who knew how to get her way. Geoff was the possible love interest in the book. He was the navigator of the airship and it was clear he had feelings for Bea. All the secondary characters were amazing and had a bit of a Star Trek feel.

The story is full of action. This could easily become a very exciting film. The finding of the box has put an even bigger strain on the airship. They are running low on fuel and more. Captain Morris trusts his crew, but maybe a little too much. Something terrible happens and it is all because of the box. The crew is trying to get to the bottom of what could be in the box to cause such havoc. What they discover is beyond anything they could have thought of. It is big enough to start another world war.

I would recommend this read for anyone looking for a fun read. This is a great sci-fi book that was full of surprises and very exciting moments. I do wish we got more on some of the characters especially that Mordecai guy. I was very intrigued with him. I am definitely going to keep my eyes peeled for more of McIntyre’s work. I hope there is a sequel. Definitely worth checking out. ( )
  harleyquinn0887 | Apr 5, 2013 |

Katherine McIntyre is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,728,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible