The Lazarus Machine (Tweed & Nightingale…

The Lazarus Machine (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures)

by Paul Crilley

Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating 4 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Publisher
Reviewer: AimeeKay

The Lazarus Machine is a very interesting Steampunk mystery.

Overall the book was filled with fun and excitement, as well as mystery. It drew me in and definitely had some parts I didn’t see coming.

I liked the world that Crilley has built. I think it is a great set up for future novels. Not only more about the main characters, Tweed and Nightingale, but for other characters that were introduced as well. As for the steampunk creations that populate his world they are intriguing without being overly complicated.

I loved the characters. Sebastian and Octavia are a great pair. They come from two different levels of society and it is interesting to see how they work together. Also while the opportunity for romance is surely there, this is not a romance novel, and I think the story benefited from not delving to deep into that part of their relationship. The supporting characters are a treat as well. They story doesn’t delve too deeply into some of the other characters past but they are still hold their own within the lives of the main characters. I would hope that they appear in more books about Sebastian and Octavia.

***Spoiler Alert***Even while the technology wasn’t too complicated there were a few things that I wondered about. The main thing was about Sebastian himself. (This is where the spoilerage comes in so don’t say I didn’t warn you.) In the beginning of the story Sebastian has memories of when he was younger, yet later on things come to light that make it impossible for him to have had those memories. It bothered me a bit because it was never explained. Maybe it is something that will happen in later novels? ***End Spoiler Alert***

The other items that bothered me where along similar lines, but nothing nearly as major and could easily be written off or outright ignored.

Even with the issues I had with the book I still really enjoyed it. Not only was there the mystery of Octavia and Tweed’s missing parents, but there were other mysteries as well that the author was able to weave into his story that made it that much more interesting. I would definitely recommend The Lazarus Machine as a great new summer mystery to pick up and I’m giving it 4 out of 5 controllers.
  momgamerwriter | Jul 17, 2013 |
Set in an alternate 1895, Paul Crilley's steampunk actioner, The Lazarus Machine: a Tweed & Nightingale Adventure has a Victorian London filled with steam-powered omnibuses, automatons with human souls, and a paranoid government agency calling itself the Ministry. Sebastian Tweed earns a living through faking encounters from the afterlife, aiding his conman father Barnaby Tweed. When Moriarty's gang abducts his father, he needs to find help. He eventually meets up with Octavia Nightingale, aka Songbird, a savvy information broker whose mother, a London Times reporter was abducted a year ago. Crilley creates an inventive steampunk setting, rife with conspiracies, medical experiments gone awry, and a potentially explosive international incident involving the possible assassination of Queen Victoria. The repartee between Sebastian and Octavia is smart and funny, reminiscent of dialogue in an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the back-and-forth Pete and Myka have in Warehouse 13. A humorist once said how steampunk was like "cyberpunk minus the social relevance." The Lazarus Machine deals with issues like soul harvesting, human cloning, abuse of political power, and class divisions. Luckily Crilley, while writing for a younger audience, makes the whole affair rather fun and without needing to resort to using the mallet of moralizing preferred by afterschool specials.

Out of 10/8.0 or 9.0 for Steampunk fans.

OR

http://driftlessareareview.com/2013/04/24/cclap-mini-review-the-lazarus-machine-... ( )
  kswolff | Apr 24, 2013 |
Love these types of books. Adventure and unexpected discoveries that leave you wanting more...

The plot of the book starts off great. Tweed goes around the country conning people. They pretend they can speak with dead. Right off the bat, their relationship is strange. It's not your normal father/son relationship but rather a friendship. It's odd to see how they regard each other and that;s why I'm so intrigued. Why are they like this in the first place? What is the father hiding?

Of course, my suspicions were correct when the father goes missing and off Tweed goes trying to piece together the lies that his father told him. Twee ends up meeting Octavia who feisty attitude catches Tweed. I can tell that these two bickering will make me laugh more. There both adoringly cute together and I hope that they will fall for each other. For now, the friend do the best they can, relying on each other piecing whatever they can to solve the mystery.

In the end, this book certainly caught my eye and I look forward to reading the next book. A fine story with a fresh plot, The Lazarus Machine is great! ( )
  Bookswithbite | Mar 7, 2013 |
London in 1895, filled with steam and Tesla powered technology, never seemed so believable until Paul Crilley's Lazarus Machine. The first Tweed & Nightingale Adventure is everything one would expect from a science-fiction mystery: intriguing, speckled with humor, and riddled with danger for its endearing detective duo. Sebastian Tweed and Octavia Nigtingale are a force to reckon with and though they come from different backgrounds, their chemistry is undeniable and fun to see come to realization.

Seventeen year old Tweed's father, a conman, is kidnapped in the middle of their latest job. The biggest suprise for Tweed is not that his father is taken, but that he's taken by a most feared criminal, Professor Moriarty. Moriarty was last heard of when he fell from Reichenbach Falls with the famous detective Sherlock Holmes, but he left behind a reputation for being a murderous criminal mastermind. On the posh side of town, Octavia, also known as Songbird, restlessly searches for her mother, who has been missing for a year. She focuses on finding out any and all information related to Moriarty which inevitably leads her to intersect paths with Tweed. Tweed and Songbird meld almost seamlessly into this evenly matched partnership to search for their missing parents. Their friendly bantering is natural and will make readers feel at home in their world. Tweed's mind is conditioned for deductive reasoning and compliments Songbird's knack for research and creating distractions.They make the most dangerous of tasks feel like exciting adventures as they delve deeper into what reveals itself to be a plot against the Crown, organized by the most powerful government agency - the Ministry.

Usually when I think of steampunk, my first thought is: limited technology. Novels like The Lazarus Machine prove that a story set in a steam era doesn't always reflect a primitive lifestyle. Octavia admires the renowned Ada Lovelace, who's work with Charles Babbage is held in high esteem. Tesla towers are scattered all througout London powering computers and buildings. Crilley's most unique contribution to the steam era, though, is the streamline automata powered by human souls. The mechanics involved with the automata is out of this world and definitely not something I've read before. The ingenious creations don't stop there and as the story builds in action and discovery, the inventions become more ethically challanging and original.

Crilley's fresh take on an alternate era will keep readers furiously flipping the pages and never knowing what's around the corner. The story progresses at just the right pace to keep you in the dark while cleverly developing in mystery. The direction of The Lazarus Machine is truly surprising and I love it's unexpected plot twists. I went from just enjoying the story to becoming entirely invested in its outcome and what's next for Tweed and Nightingale. The Lazarus Machine is the beginning of an exciting and adventurous series that will rock your perception of mystery and steampunk!

*Copy of book provided via publisher in exchange for an honest review*
Also posted on Lovey Dovey Books ( )
  LoveyDoveyBooks | Jan 10, 2013 |

In an alternate 1899 London, seventeen-year-old Sebastian Tweed searches for his kidnapped father, uncovering both a horrific technological secret and a political conspiracy that could destroy the British Empire.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,141,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible