On the Road to Mr. Mineo's by Barbara…

On the Road to Mr. Mineo's

by Barbara O'Connor

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed listening to this book as I was on a trip. Not sure I would have chosen it on my own, but I did enjoy the chance to listen to it. It is one that would have probably been better for me as a book. ( )
  polarmath | Nov 23, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A quick read, On the Road to Mr. Mineo's is the story of the search for a one-legged pigeon by neighborhood kids and townspeople alike. Aimed at younger readers, the book does a great job of capturing what it is like to be a kid, dealing with both bullies and best friends. As an adult reader, however, it didn't quite catch my fancy. ( )
  eggsnhm | Nov 21, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a story about a small Southern town in the midst of a lazy summer. It stars a one-legged pigeon, a girl named Stella and all the other characters who orbit around her. I would say its ideal format would be a printed book with illustrations, perfect for a youngster who is just beginning to read chapter books. It would not be painful as an adult to listen to this with a child. The narrator does an excellent job with her different voices and the timing. The story is cute, the characters well drawn and the setting is good. I could almost taste the dust in the streets and smell the rotten peaches in the abandoned orchard.
I became tired of the almost staccato pacing of the sentences. I wasn't sure whether I was being talked down to or whether that was simply the author's style. The pigeon chase became annoying to me. Some of these criticisms could be the result of my mood and the lack of a child to enjoy it with. ( )
  MrsLee | Nov 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A fun, enjoyable book. I was given the audio version and it was the perfect audio book for a road trip. I think kids of all ages will enjoy this.
  daydreamsrainydays | Nov 2, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was rather disappointed in this story. Perhaps it's because I don't have a very high opinion of pigeons, homing or one-legged or otherwise.  Barbara O'Connor does a good job conjuring up the look and feel of a timeless small Southern town (the fictional Meadville, South Carolina), but I didn't care about Sherman the pigeon or any of the kids trying to catch him, or the grown-ups in the story.  I found myself getting impatient for the book to just end.  There's a lot of repetition, in the plot and in the text, but that might be good for beginning or struggling readers.

However, the quality of the audiobook was outstanding!  Recorded Books does what many audiobook producers don't any more - tells you when the disc is beginning and ending, and which disc you are on.  Actress Suzy Jackson is an excellent narrator with a youthful sound who does a credible job with Southern accents and creating variety in the voices of the characters.  My only quibble is that I believe the audiobook is longer than 2.75 hours - more like 4 to 4.5, given the length of my commute and the fact that it took three days to listen to it.

© Amanda Pape - 2013

[I received this audiobook from Recorded Books via the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.  It will be donated to my university library. This review also appears on Bookin' It.] ( )
8 vote riofriotex | Oct 12, 2013 |

Summer days drift by slowly in Meadville, South Carolina--that is, until Sherman the one-legged pigeon flies into town and causes a ruckus. First Stella, who's been begging for a dog, spots him on top of a garage roof and decides she wants him for a pet. Then there's Ethel and Amos, an old couple who sees the pigeon in their barn keeping company with a little brown dog that barks all night. The pigeon lands smack in the middle of Mutt Raynard's head, but he's the town liar, so no one believes him. And when Stella's brother Levi and his scabby-kneed, germ-infested friends notice the pigeon, they join the chase, too. Meanwhile, across town, Mr. Mineo has one less homing pigeon than he used to...

Barbara O'Connor has delivered another ingeniously crafted story full of southern charm, kid-sized adventures, and quirky, unforgettable characters.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:59 -0400)

Sherman, a one-legged pigeon, sets everyone aflutter in a small southern town.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Barbara O'Connor's book On the Road to Mr. Mineo's was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,141,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible