Blood Trade by Faith Hunter

I like Jane. I enjoy this series. I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

This one ... just somehow didn't measure up to the first five. Filler maybe?

Flat might be a better word -- in comparison to earlier books. Seriously, this was a good read that fell short of expectations. Everything below this is relative to previous books.

Flat on the action. Nope, infodumps on guns and armament do not count.

Flat on the story and engaging my attention (okay so there were violin inducing catch your heartstrings innocents, people to rescue and urgency.).

Flat on the romance. Okay, that's unfair because no romance. Same angst-y mess with all the potentials.

Flat on the characters (I don't count the introduction of insta-lust wish fulfillment one for for one of the side characters or the brief redneck bashing where they have to bubbas living in filth and drugs in a single-wide trailer ...). I wanted more of Beast and Jane and Leo and everyone.

I really don't count the preachy part about Jane-the-contract-killer-for-money-once-bounty-legalized is too special to carry automatic weaponry cuz only purpose is to kill but okay with rest of her team using knowing the expected bad guys will be using. ( )
  Spurts | Jun 16, 2017 |
Blood Trade
4 Stars

Jane and the Younger brothers travel to Natchez, Mississippi at the behest of the Master of the City who is dealing with a nasty rogue vampire problem. Unfortunately, these rogues prove more difficult to dispose of than expected, and the body count continues to rise. The situation worsens when witches begin disappearing and the men in Jane’s life also arrive on the scene. Jane will have a great deal of juggling to do to restore order…

The focus in this installment is more on the action and excitement of the rogue Naturaleza plot with little progression in Jane’s personal life. There is some repetition of detail that has already been provided in earlier books, but newcomers to the series will probably appreciate the information.

Although Jane’s love life takes a back seat, that is not to say that the men in her life don’t play a role in the story. The love triangle between Jane, Rick and Bruiser continues with Jane still sore over Bruiser’s perceived betrayal and more open to her attraction to Rick. Personally, I’ve never understood this particular relationship as Rick manages to annoy me even before he puts in an actual physical appearance. He is an obnoxious, childish jerk in dire need of a serious ass-kicking. Bruiser on the other hand, is exceedingly swoon-worthy and there are some very intriguing developments in his characterization and it will be interesting to see where Hunter goes with this in the next installments.

The rest of the secondary cast adds another layer of enjoyment to the story, especially Esmee’s shenanigan’s, Leo Machiavellian tendencies, Jane’s banter with Eli and the smoldering looks Eli shares with the lady Sheriff - they are so cute together!

In sum, Blood Trade is a fun read and I really enjoy the sense of family and belonging the Jane is developing with Eli and Alex. My only caveat is the need for a resolution in the love triangle - Jane really needs to make a choice one way or the other. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
The series just keeps getting better! The story is riddled with action, suspense, a love triangle, family, humor, friendship new and old, and forgiveness. Fantastic read. ( )
  BookJunkie777 | Oct 16, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoy this series. Jane lets Eli and Alex buy into the business and as part of her family. They all go back to Natchez to help Big H with his problem. A couple people from Jane's childhood in the homes come back into her life too. They get wrapped up in the vamp mystery Jane has to solve. In the end this draws Big Evan into help. He and Jane are able to talk and settle things. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Don't get me wrong. The book itself wasn't bad, it's the direction or lack of it for the whole series that I'm having issues with.

The earlier Jane Yellowrock I loved. First three books are brilliant and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to any urban fantasy fan, but ultimately the series is stuck in a rut, it's not developing and it's not leading the reader anywhere. There is also nothing to look forward to after the book is finished.

Leo is still on the back burner, Rick is an angsty mother*ucker who wants to have the cake and eat it, and Bruiser is not even cute anymore. In fact this is very much reminds me of Anita Blake's chastity for the first nine books in the series until she lets loose with a vengeance. Only I suspect that Jane would never let loose.

I am also having issues with 3-4 pages in a row discussing Jane's weaponry or retelling what happened in the previous books, so despite my immense respect for the author and my love of the first few books I'm bailing out on the series in general. I just have no patience for this anymore. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
To the Hubby, my Renaissance Man,
for all the everyday declarations of love. And for the new shelves and cabinets in my writing room. Squeee!
I threw my leg over Bitsa and slammed my weight down on the kick start

Jane Yellowrock is a shape-shifting skinwalker who’s always up for a fight - even if it means putting her life on the line....

The Master of Natchez, Mississippi has a nasty problem on his hands. Rogue vampires - those who follow the Naturaleza and believe that humans should be nothing more than prey to be hunted - are terrorizing his city. Luckily, he knows the perfect skinwalker to call in to take back the streets. But what he doesn’t tell Jane is that there’s something different about these vamps. Something that makes them harder to kill - even for a pro like Jane. Now, her simple job has turned into a fight to stay alive...and to protect the desperately ill child left in her care.

When she is hired by the Master of Natchez, Mississippi to stop rogue vampires from terrorizing his city, skinwalker Jane Yellowrock soon discovers that there is something different about these vamps as her simple job turns into a fight to stay alive.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,718,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible