Dangerous Depths by Karen Amanda Hooper
192537,190 (4)None

More reviews can be seen on Boricuan Bookworms

When I first started this book, I was prepared to not like it. I was perfectly content with how Tangled Tides ended and Treygan & Yara’s happy ending. I didn’t want anything or anyone to get in the way of that. Then I realized, that Rownan didn’t have his happy ending. I normally would’ve just said, “screw him” but Rownan had really redeemed himself for me in Tangled Tides, so I wanted to see if this book would make me fall in love with the world all over again. And surprisingly, it did. I fell right back in to the wonderful world of mermaids and selkies and gorgons and sirens and pixies and krakens, and… well you get the point. Rathe was just as beautiful and wonderful and magical as I imagined it would be, and it makes Earth seem so… dull in comparison.

This book reads easily without the need to read the first one. It helps you recap the important parts of the first book and easily introduces you to this one. Each book can stand on their own, but it’s nice to read them together.

This story is told in the POV’s of Yara, Nixie, and Rownan. I missed Treygan’s POV the most because his POV was my favorite one in Tangled Tides. Especially considering that Treygan’s swoon-meter was off the charts in this one :D.

Nevertheless, being introduced to Nixie was great because she was such a refreshing character! We were basically being introduced to the “antagonist” of the story, and realizing that she wasn’t actually an antagonist.

I loved how this story had character development all around: from Nixie, to Rownan, to Yara, everyone seemed to mature and develop much more in this book. We see a whole new romantic and wonderful side from Rownan ( a little sappy, too ;D).
“You won’t lose me. Even if you do, I swear on the oceans and heavens, I will always find you again.”
-Dangerous Depths by Karen Amanda Hooper

This side of Rownan is so determined! His love is what makes him go to the ends of the Earth in search of his true love, Vienna.

I loved the romance in this book! It was so much more… mature (in other words: STEAMY ;)) than in the first book, and that didn’t stop me from loving it! Treygan & Yara can finally be together without anyone or anything getting in their way, and Rownan & Vienna have to fight to be together! Even if Rownan & Vienna had been together for years, it felt like they were falling in love again for me. It was so sweet!

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="500"] I'm Remy (the Rat), The Strawberry is Yara & Treygan, and the Cheese is Rownan & Vienna. This is me eating them up.[/caption]

I also really enjoyed the conflict in this book much more than in the first one. I loved how the conflict here was that they had to go to Harte, a place very similar to hell. I loved how Harte was set up; full of mystery and mischief.

The only aspect that I didn’t enjoy much was that it was a bit slow at the beginning. I again disliked Yara for some strange reason, but that changed quickly as I kept reading.

Overall, a great addition to the series that re-introduces us to the wonderful world of mermaids and shows us how powerful love really is.

Rating: 3.5 stars. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
Book Info: Genre: Paranormal Romance
Reading Level: Older YA, younger NA
Recommended for: fans of YA/NA Paranormal romance, mermaid stories
Trigger Warnings: violence, mutilation

My Thoughts: Karen Amanda Hooper does something amazing. She writes romance stories that I actually enjoy. This particular book is less about the romance and more about the action, about going to Harte (pronounced “Har-tay”) to try to save Vienna, Rownan's wife, who—in desperation—traveled there 16 years ago trying to return to the Earth realm to be reunited with Rownan. A good part of the book is also about Yara learning about her new abilities and how to use them, as well as deepening the ties between her and Treygan.

At any rate, this is a highly enjoyable story. While the first one was definitely YA, this one is starting to move a bit more toward younger NA readers, but I think readers of all ages will enjoy this story. If you enjoy magical, romantic stories, definitely check this one out.

Series Information: The Sea Monster Memoirs
Book 1: Tangled Tides, review linked here
Book 2: Dangerous Depths
Book 3: Sacred Seas, available in 2014

Disclosure: I received an e-Galley from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Hell hath no fury like a selkie separated from his true love.

The gate to the sea creature realm is finally open. Yara wants to bask in the glow of her budding relationship with Treygan and explore Medusa’s world, but as the new leader of Rathe her powers are needed to save a sea creature she’s never met.

Rownan assumes the worst is behind him when he returns home to be reunited with his wife, Vienna, only to discover she’s gone. She traveled to the evil realm of Harte to find another gateway to Earth and was never heard from again. Rownan claimed he would go through hell to be with her, and now he must prove it.

Rownan, Yara, and Treygan will put their lives and souls at risk by traveling to the most dangerous realm of all. Love is supposed to conquer all, but no one has ever conquered Harte. ( )
  Katyas | Jan 14, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,453,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible