The Mad Scientist's Daughter by…

The Mad Scientist's Daughter (edition 2013)

by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Collections:2013
Rating:*****
Tags:kindle, 2013, speculative fiction, robots

The Mad Scientist's Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Three and a half stars. While I enjoyed the first half, the story's second half picked up noticeably. I found myself thinking of Jeffery Eugenides' work several times while reading--there was a lot of upper-middle class stuff happening, like the drive to live a "normal" life and emotionally neglectful parents. The main character's mother objects to her philosophy degree, and during/after college the main character goes to work a slightly shameful job where she dresses up and flirts with the men she sells hand-rolled cigarettes to. She marries a serial entrepreneur and spends her days in the bored haze of a trophy wife.

Overall, though, I enjoyed the story. I liked Cat's journey to redemption, and I liked watching her become her own person. It wasn't necessarily my ideal cup of tea, but The Mad Scientist's Daughter was well-written and moving. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
It was well-written and Cat was a fascinating character. Being inside her head was always interesting. And her relationship with the android, Finn, set across a backdrop of technological and human (android) rights advances, was as wonderful as it was sad. Basically this book is a love story. Parents for children, people for themselves.

This would have been a four-star book. Except for the scene at the very end, maybe 94% or thereabouts. Where Finn has just disclosed how painful it was to him when her father shut him off and altered his programming without his permission. Cat's response? To use the secret program the grad students had prorammed in him and give him an orgasm without his permission. WTF, Cat? Telling him he had this capability he'd never known about would have been a nice thing to do. If you two were in the middle of screwing and he wanted to orgasm, sure. But immediately after he tells you about violations and betrayals. Argh. This action made me think that despite all she'd said and thought, that Cat hadn't learned a damn thing. And that ruined the ending for me. YMMV.

Also, TW for Domestic Violence ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Summary
The book Mad Scientists is a great nonfiction book for children. Starting of a funny note to capture children’s attention it slowly shifts from the subject of mad scientists to the subject of actual science. The book also includes more difficult or challenging words in bold print that can also be found in the back of the book to assist struggling readers.

Review
I love the set up of the book and how its flows. Especially how the photographs in the beginning that are used to illustrate are all pictures from different movie scenes, I think of that as an excellent way to grasp a child’s attention and help them get involved in the book.

Classroom Ideas:
1. Let children discuss their favorite mad scientists.
2. Compare mad scientists to real scientists.
3. Talk about how science can be helpful. ( )
  tabithamarie | Apr 23, 2017 |
A slow and melancholy romance set in a post-apocalyptic America a few decades from now. The destructive event that has reduced the world's population remains a background item and there is no action-packed hero-quest/fight against ultimate evil. Instead, what we are treated to is a rather myopic slice-of-life tale that, despite the lack of blistering action, reads quite compellingly. Talking about the central theme of the story would constitute a spoiler. Suffice it to say that this is a vivid character study that plays against a rather bleak, but well-rendered future. Probably not a re-read type of book for me but I do plan to try other titles from Clarke after this first experience. ( )
  ScoLgo | Jan 24, 2017 |
I was expecting this book to be a deeper exploration of what it means to be human - but it is a romance with a smattering of sci-fi. And a very slow burn romance at that, it takes the main characters over 30 years to finally get together. I think the sex scenes are all that stops this from being classified as a teen book.

I kept reading hoping for some payoff, I was curious to see what happened… but I did skim a lot. The main character, Cat, I found to be very unlikeable, and her immaturity and selfishness only increased throughout the story. (They are still chain-smoking in the future? How disappointing)

If you would like a good (and short) romance story about a girl and a robot, you must read “The Silver Metal Lover” by Tanith Lee. I’m pretty sure I have 2 copies of it laying around the house somewhere. This book, however, is going in the donation bin.
1 vote memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
If you’re looking for a robot apocalypse, The Mad Scientist’s Daughter isn’t it. This is, instead, the sort of tragic romance—in the traditional sense of the terms, where the former requires a fatal flaw and the latter is a longing backward through time for a perceived innocent past—in which a scientist father brings home an android to serve as nanny and tutor to his very young daughter.
added by KelMunger | editLit/Rant, Kel Munger (Jul 6, 2013)

The Mad Scientist's Daughter seems to be the result of an author taking an interesting premise that could have gone in many different directions and putting every effort toward maximizing the impact a romance kindling slowly through friendship and separation, letting what might have been other, orthogonal qualities fall by the wayside. . . . As a novel successful within its limited ambitions, The Mad Scientist's Daughter merits a limited recommendation. Readers who enjoy detailed character studies will find much to like here, assuming they aren't frustrated by Cat's wholly inward life.

It's not a story of future heroism. It's not even, really, a story about robots. It's a story of live and failure and expectations. It is, perhaps, in its relentless examination of one woman's life, one of the most realistic science fiction stories ever told.
added by karenb | editio9, Michael Ann Dobbs (Feb 28, 2013)

“Cat, this is Finn. He’s going to be your tutor.”

Finn looks and acts human, though he has no desire to be. He was programmed to assist his owners, and performs his duties to perfection. A billion-dollar construct, his primary task now is to tutor Cat. As she grows into a beautiful young woman, Finn is her guardian, her constant companion… and more.

But when the government grants rights to the ever-increasing robot population, however, Finn struggles to find his place in the world.

"Finn looks and acts human, though he has no desire to be. He was programmed to assist his owners, and performs his duties to perfection. A billion-dollar construct, his primary task now is to tutor Cat. As she grows into a beautiful young woman, Finn is her guardian, her constant companion-- and more. But when the government grants rights to the ever-increasing robot population, however, Finn struggles to find his place in the world, and in Cat's heart." --P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,035,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible