The Mad Scientist's Daughter by…

The Mad Scientist's Daughter (edition 2013)

by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Collections:2013
Rating:*****
Tags:kindle, 2013, speculative fiction, robots

The Mad Scientist's Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Summary
The book Mad Scientists is a great nonfiction book for children. Starting of a funny note to capture children’s attention it slowly shifts from the subject of mad scientists to the subject of actual science. The book also includes more difficult or challenging words in bold print that can also be found in the back of the book to assist struggling readers.

Review
I love the set up of the book and how its flows. Especially how the photographs in the beginning that are used to illustrate are all pictures from different movie scenes, I think of that as an excellent way to grasp a child’s attention and help them get involved in the book.

Classroom Ideas:
1. Let children discuss their favorite mad scientists.
2. Compare mad scientists to real scientists.
3. Talk about how science can be helpful. ( )
  tabithamarie | Apr 23, 2017 |
A slow and melancholy romance set in a post-apocalyptic America a few decades from now. The destructive event that has reduced the world's population remains a background item and there is no action-packed hero-quest/fight against ultimate evil. Instead, what we are treated to is a rather myopic slice-of-life tale that, despite the lack of blistering action, reads quite compellingly. Talking about the central theme of the story would constitute a spoiler. Suffice it to say that this is a vivid character study that plays against a rather bleak, but well-rendered future. Probably not a re-read type of book for me but I do plan to try other titles from Clarke after this first experience. ( )
  ScoLgo | Jan 24, 2017 |
I was expecting this book to be a deeper exploration of what it means to be human - but it is a romance with a smattering of sci-fi. And a very slow burn romance at that, it takes the main characters over 30 years to finally get together. I think the sex scenes are all that stops this from being classified as a teen book.

I kept reading hoping for some payoff, I was curious to see what happened… but I did skim a lot. The main character, Cat, I found to be very unlikeable, and her immaturity and selfishness only increased throughout the story. (They are still chain-smoking in the future? How disappointing)

If you would like a good (and short) romance story about a girl and a robot, you must read “The Silver Metal Lover” by Tanith Lee. I’m pretty sure I have 2 copies of it laying around the house somewhere. This book, however, is going in the donation bin.
1 vote memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
Couldn't finish this one, I don't like or care about any of the characters and plot is just too predictable. ( )
  nike13 | Mar 10, 2016 |
Disappointed. Firstly, I wanna say that I absolutely LOVE the first 50 pages or so. It was brilliant and everything I ever expected from the book. Sadly, that was the only part which met my expectations. I can't help but feel that the author made Cat grow up too fast. And she's not growing up into a decent person either.

One of the problems I have regarding her is that she smokes too much. Normally, I don't even give a shit when a character smokes. But Cat smoke so much that I became aware of it very quickly and got extremely annoyed. She smokes right after waking up, while eating, while meeting people, while working, while talking, etc. Ugh. At least she has a sense to not smoke during pregnancy. Oh, and have I mentioned the sex? It's just that, for like two-thirds of the book, Cat doesn't meet Finn a lot. She marries Richard, whom she doesn't love at all, and then lives unhappily with him blah blah blah ruin his life blah blah blah. During the period when Cat and Richard were together, she met with Finn a few times. (He's the one she truly loves, duh.) When they meet, they just... have sex. That's pretty much it. I mean, hellooo? Is that supposed to be love or just pure i-wanna-get-into-your-pants lust? Oh, and sometimes, Cat has an attitude problem. Like when she went to see Finn's maker, a Dr Condon. Given the circumstances, she should have been polite to her but she was plain rude. Not nice.

Throughout the story, Cat and Finn are only close(both physically and relationship-wise) at the beginning and at the end. Plus, the whole chunk in the middle has close to nothing in relation to Finn. And, you get a whole lot of bitching, blaming and violence from Cat's broken marriage. This certainly isn't what I bought the book for.

On the bright side, I quite like the writing, especially on the descriptions. Even though I find some stuff being redundant, like "she frowned, her brows furrowed". And they're constantly used. ( )
  novewong | Jul 8, 2015 |
If you’re looking for a robot apocalypse, The Mad Scientist’s Daughter isn’t it. This is, instead, the sort of tragic romance—in the traditional sense of the terms, where the former requires a fatal flaw and the latter is a longing backward through time for a perceived innocent past—in which a scientist father brings home an android to serve as nanny and tutor to his very young daughter.
added by KelMunger | editLit/Rant, Kel Munger (Jul 6, 2013)

The Mad Scientist's Daughter seems to be the result of an author taking an interesting premise that could have gone in many different directions and putting every effort toward maximizing the impact a romance kindling slowly through friendship and separation, letting what might have been other, orthogonal qualities fall by the wayside. . . . As a novel successful within its limited ambitions, The Mad Scientist's Daughter merits a limited recommendation. Readers who enjoy detailed character studies will find much to like here, assuming they aren't frustrated by Cat's wholly inward life.

It's not a story of future heroism. It's not even, really, a story about robots. It's a story of live and failure and expectations. It is, perhaps, in its relentless examination of one woman's life, one of the most realistic science fiction stories ever told.
added by karenb | editio9, Michael Ann Dobbs (Feb 28, 2013)

“Cat, this is Finn. He’s going to be your tutor.”

Finn looks and acts human, though he has no desire to be. He was programmed to assist his owners, and performs his duties to perfection. A billion-dollar construct, his primary task now is to tutor Cat. As she grows into a beautiful young woman, Finn is her guardian, her constant companion… and more.

But when the government grants rights to the ever-increasing robot population, however, Finn struggles to find his place in the world.

"Finn looks and acts human, though he has no desire to be. He was programmed to assist his owners, and performs his duties to perfection. A billion-dollar construct, his primary task now is to tutor Cat. As she grows into a beautiful young woman, Finn is her guardian, her constant companion-- and more. But when the government grants rights to the ever-increasing robot population, however, Finn struggles to find his place in the world"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible