The Winter Witch by Paula Brackston

The Winter Witch

by Paula Brackston

I quite enjoy this story of an arranged marriage that turns to love and silence that is quite powerful. Morgana is mute by choice and her mother arranges a marriage with the drover Cai Jenkins, a widower, who doesn't expect to love her he just needs a wife to be head drover like his father. Morgana finds that her strangeness is marking her for ridicule and suspicion. There are undercurrents in this village and Morgana finds herself caught in them, can she find a path free of them?

I enjoyed it, Morgana is an interesting character but some of the bad guys were a bit thin. ( )
1 vote wyvernfriend | May 17, 2017 |
Fantastic! I was worried as I read mixed reviews but immiediatly I loved the flow of the words. I listened to this book because I adore accents and 99% of the time it brings the story to a new level for me. I didn't see any tags for it being a gothic novel but saw it clearly as one. I highly recommend it! ( )
  whybehave2002 | Dec 22, 2016 |
This was a very touching story, with realistic, lovable characters and a solid plot. I barely put this one down from cover to cover. Cai and Morgana were wonderful together. Morgana's fears and reactions to her new life were very down to earth and made her very believable. I fell in love with Cai and felt for his losses (and Morgana's). His tender patience with Morgana was a very endearing quality.

While it is a paranormal romance, so much of the book is grounded in reality that I was just swept away by the story. The writing flowed easily and the story was tastefully woven. I cried, cheered the couple on, shivered, relished in the triumphs and thoroughly enjoyed this piece! Thank you for a wonderful read and a great escape to another place! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
The point of view alternates with each chapter from Cai to Morgana and this took a bit of getting used to but I think it really worked for the story. Since Morgana does not speak in the story, it gives the reader an avenue in which to experience each character's inner thinking and feelings as the plot progresses. I thought it was refreshing to see Cai's side of the story as the two spent their first weeks together. I also really liked the setting. The early 19th century time period, where fear of witchcraft still existed and majority rules seemed to be the primary source of law. The description of the farm that is Cai's home is beautiful, with sprawling hills and meadows, the well, the parlor and hearth, the ponies and cattle. Just gorgeous.

I enjoy books that employ witchcraft as a plot source and this story gave me the perfect amount of paranormal. My only complaint is that there were parts of the story where I was a bit bored. I found myself skimming on a few occasions. I wish there was a bit more of Morgana experimenting with her power as she realized what she could accomplish. Mrs. Jones, who was a delightful addition as Cai's aunt/housekeeper, was also a hedgewitch and a mentor to Morgana and we don't get to know her well enough. On the positive side, when Morgana finally decides she has had enough and begins to fight back against the people who are accusing her of evil, I was unable to put the book down until the end. It was at this point that the pace picked up and with it, the story became much more interesting.

The relationship between Cai and Morgana was well portrayed. Cai needed a wife to fill the requirements of his job and he arranged his marriage to Morgana. She was young, she didn't speak, and he took her away from everything she knew. They didn't fall in love immediately and getting used to living together was both frustrating and confusing for both. This was a realistic view, in my opinion, of how the beginnings of an arranged marriage would be, minus the witchcraft of course. Their affection for one another blossomed from shared interests, teamwork, and time spent caring for each other's needs.

So, I would probably give this book about three and a half stars instead of four but only because of the slow parts. It was a good read and if you enjoy paranormal romance, you will most likely enjoy it as well. Happy reading! ( )
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |
This book was very different from others I have read. The main protagonist is a young woman named Mogana, who hasn't spoken in years. And it's how she has learned to communicate with those around her that I found very fascinating in the story. The story takes place in the Welsh wilderness, and where the majority of the story takes place on a drove with her husband, Cai Jenkins. All the while, Morgana learns how defend herself from those that would label her a "witch."

Spoilers.

There were several criticisms that I had about the book. The first being that the beginning of the book was good, but as the story progressed, I gradually lost interest. Here was a man being to force to marry a girl he barely knew because his job required it if he wanted to be promoted...
And Morgana, barely knowledgeable about the power she possesses manages to fend off a more experienced witch, whose dastardly goal is to possess the magical well that is under Morgana's house, by any means necessary. ( )
  philae_02 | Nov 20, 2015 |
Does the spider consider herself beautiful?

In her small early nineteenth century Welsh town, there is no one quite like Morgana. She is small and quick and pretty enough to attract a suitor, but there are things that set her apart from other girls. Though her mind is sharp she has not spoken since she was a young girl. Her silence is a mystery, as well as her magic—the household objects that seem to move at her command, the bad luck that visits those who do her ill. Concerned for her safety, her mother is anxious to see Morgana married, and Cai Jenkins, the widowed drover from the far hills who knows nothing of the rumors that swirl around her, seems the best choice.

After her wedding, Morgana is heartbroken at leaving her mother, and wary of this man, whom she does not know, and who will take her away to begin a new life. But she soon falls in love with Cai’s farm and the wild mountains that surround it. Here, where frail humans are at the mercy of the elements, she thrives, her wild nature and her magic blossoming. Cai works to understand the beautiful, half-tamed creature he has chosen for a bride, and slowly, he begins to win Morgana’s affections. It’s not long, however, before her strangeness begins to be remarked upon in her new village. A dark force is at work there—a person who will stop at nothing to turn the townspeople against Morgana, even at the expense of those closest to her. Forced to defend her home, her man, and herself from all comers, Morgana must learn to harness her power, or she will lose everything in this beautifully written, enchanting novel.

Mute fledgling witch Morgana is married for her safety to a kind farmer in the mountains of Wales before she is targeted by townspeople who are being manipulated by a dark force that compels Morgana to harness her powers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,133,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible