In the Tall Grass by Stephen King

In the Tall Grass (edition 2012)

by Stephen King, Joe Hill, Stephen Lang (Reader)

1901962,147 ()1 / 13
Member:Carpe_Librum
Title:In the Tall Grass
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Joe Hill, Stephen Lang (Reader)
Info:Simon & Schuster Audio (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:***
Tags:Horror, ebook

In the Tall Grass by Stephen King

"In the Tall Grass" is one of the most disturbing tales I've ever read. This is the first Stephen King story, or Joe Hill story for that matter, that actually turned my stomach. The writing is vivid, filled with brutal simplicity that drives the horror home. I didn't feel all that attached to either Cal or Becky, but what Becky goes through in the later part of this short story would crush the heart of any parent. No, not just crush. Decimate.

This is also the first collaboration of father and son where I was able to pinpoint which author wrote what sections. I've come to know Hill's work well enough that I can catch certain sentence structures he commonly uses. I couldn't imagine writing such a piece with my son or daughter, but these two pulled it off.

"In the Tall Grass" garnered five stars simply for affecting me as much as it did. I will never forget this story.

E. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
After getting used to Stephen King's "well, hello, Slenderman's right behind you" style, going back to the grotesque "eww putrid animal dead body filled with vermin" style never seems to be an easy transition. Maybe this is why I didn't like this book so much. But then again, to be honest, I wasn't really expecting too much from this book. I mean, the initial premise did sound good, but if you think about it, there wasn't much room for an intriguing story with lots of turnabouts. The story itself reminded me of a mix between elements of the thinny in King's Dark Tower series, plus the story of the rocks in one of his short stories in Just After Sunset (or was it Everything's Eventual?). An OK book, but far from being his best story. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
OMG and gross. ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
Excellent! A good old-fashioned horror story, classic. It's short so you should read it, now. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
short and gruesome. a little gem ( )
  klarsenmd | Mar 12, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Joe Hillmain authorall editionsconfirmed

In the Tall Grass begins with a sister and brother who pull off to the side of the road after hearing a young boy crying for help from beyond the tall grass. Within minutes they are disoriented, in deeper than seems possible, and they’ve lost one another. The boy’s cries are more and more desperate.

"A sister and brother ... pull off to the side of the road after hearing a young boy crying for help from beyond the tall grass. Within minutes they are disoriented, in deeper than seems possible, and they've lost one another. The boy's cries are more and more desperate"--Container.… (more)

12 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,705,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible