In the Tall Grass by Stephen King

In the Tall Grass (edition 2012)

by Stephen King, Joe Hill, Stephen Lang (Reader)

2021958,111 (3.61)1 / 13
Member:bookworm_naida
Title:In the Tall Grass
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Joe Hill, Stephen Lang (Reader)
Info:Simon & Schuster Audio (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:*****

In the Tall Grass by Stephen King

My Thoughts:

I’m not sure what to say about this one guys, if I’m being honest. It started out fantastic, old school horror. You know, creepy with out really giving you too much – making you dread what was on the next page. Then, at some point, the book just kind of takes a turn and not only gives you what you have been dreading, but kind of takes it a step further. No, takes it a step too far. Gives you something you wouldn’t dream of, in this case even kind of makes you gag a little.

I love horror, the gorier the better – but for some reason, this one was a little further than I could enjoy. And really the scene in specific wasn’t even GORY in a sense of what you are reading, the actual words on the page. However, the content of the thing. *shivers* was just wrong.

Hmmm.

I’m a long time Stephen King fan, I’m talking 30 years here guys. I understand the need to branch out into the digital format, I really do. But for me, the long time reader…it seems like these last few shorts (released as digital content only) have been good stories but then there is an element of “what can we throw in here to cause a little controversy, we need to get people talking” I get that, too, I do…I guess. I mean, how else to get press for a short story without spending a shit ton on advertising. So I do get it. And I know this has been in previous books, I just… I don’t know.

In Conclusion:

Well, I’m not sure WHAT I should say here. I guess, if you’re a horror fan, I say give it a go. I mean, just be warned, especially if you are a Mom… that some content in this story may not only disgust – but offend. In this tiny 60 page span, I: sweated, teared up, and gagged. So…

Mom Notes:
Not for children. Contains: language, violence,

**Originally post on www.bunnycates.com**
  BunnyCates | Jul 8, 2015 |
"In the Tall Grass" is one of the most disturbing tales I've ever read. This is the first Stephen King story, or Joe Hill story for that matter, that actually turned my stomach. The writing is vivid, filled with brutal simplicity that drives the horror home. I didn't feel all that attached to either Cal or Becky, but what Becky goes through in the later part of this short story would crush the heart of any parent. No, not just crush. Decimate.

This is also the first collaboration of father and son where I was able to pinpoint which author wrote what sections. I've come to know Hill's work well enough that I can catch certain sentence structures he commonly uses. I couldn't imagine writing such a piece with my son or daughter, but these two pulled it off.

"In the Tall Grass" garnered five stars simply for affecting me as much as it did. I will never forget this story.

E. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
After getting used to Stephen King's "well, hello, Slenderman's right behind you" style, going back to the grotesque "eww putrid animal dead body filled with vermin" style never seems to be an easy transition. Maybe this is why I didn't like this book so much. But then again, to be honest, I wasn't really expecting too much from this book. I mean, the initial premise did sound good, but if you think about it, there wasn't much room for an intriguing story with lots of turnabouts. The story itself reminded me of a mix between elements of the thinny in King's Dark Tower series, plus the story of the rocks in one of his short stories in Just After Sunset (or was it Everything's Eventual?). An OK book, but far from being his best story. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
Excellent! A good old-fashioned horror story, classic. It's short so you should read it, now. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
short and gruesome. a little gem ( )
  klarsenmd | Mar 12, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Joe Hillmain authorall editionsconfirmed

In the Tall Grass begins with a sister and brother who pull off to the side of the road after hearing a young boy crying for help from beyond the tall grass. Within minutes they are disoriented, in deeper than seems possible, and they’ve lost one another. The boy’s cries are more and more desperate.

"A sister and brother ... pull off to the side of the road after hearing a young boy crying for help from beyond the tall grass. Within minutes they are disoriented, in deeper than seems possible, and they've lost one another. The boy's cries are more and more desperate"--Container.… (more)

23 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,416,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible