Penny and Her Doll by Kevin Henkes

Penny and Her Doll

by Kevin Henkes

My little sister loved this book; she was so excited just from the cover. I chose this book only for her because she is the same way with her babies. It shows how the young girl cherishes their dolls. This book show responsibilities, I loved sharing this with her. ( )
  umorgan | Dec 1, 2017 |
While out in the garden with her parents, Penny receives a package from her grandmother. Inside is a present: a brand new doll. She is excited, but has a little problem: she doesn't know what to name it. She thinks of a few, and her parents suggest names, but none of them sound right. At the end, as she walks through the garden again among the flowers, she finally gets inspiration for the perfect name: Rose.
  ZajiCox | Jun 10, 2017 |
"Penny and Her Doll" is a sweet story about when Penny receives a doll from her Gram. Penny loves her new doll but cannot think of a name for her! Penny shows her new doll around the house and the name just comes to her! This is such an adorable story about a mouse and her new doll. I really love the fact that children can relate to a mouse. This will expand their imaginations. I know that Kevin Henkes has plenty more stories using mice and I would love to read some of them. ( )
  bethanygc | Oct 10, 2016 |
Even though Henkes is one of my favorite authors, he's prolific, and I have not read his oeuvre. ?In fact, I happened on Penny and her Marble by chance last week, and am only now going back to this, the first book. ?áFortunately, they do not need to be read in order... Henkes was careful (unlike some writers who just forget that readers of picture-books don't seldom series in order).

The second book is better. ?áIt's more dramatic, addressing one of the first social issues most children probably encounter. ?áIt's also likely to appeal to open-minded boys. ?áThis is all girl. ?áI think I may have liked it just a bit better... but then, I'm female and like sweet stories. ?áI will definitely try to get the third Penny book.

Btw, the three (so far?) Penny books are Leveled Readers... look for them with Frog & Toad and Mr. Putter & Tabby, if your library separates those from full-size picturebooks. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
42 months - O could relate to Penny as she often names her stuffed animals and more recently our new kitty and puppy. Sometimes coming up with the perfect name is hard. We always enjoy the Penny books. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Penny the mouse receives a doll from her Gram and loves it, but needs to give the doll a name. Suggestions from her parents just don’t fit. In the process of welcoming the doll to her home, she discovers the perfect name.

Kevin Henkes, winner of Catholic Library Association's 2013 Regina Medal, delivers another treasure for children. As author and illustrator, he creates words and pictures that are adorable and sweet. Shades of pink, purple, and green throughout the illustrations will appeal to little girls. This story is identifiable for little girls. Who hasn’t struggled to name a new doll or stuffed animal? Early readers can get their first opportunity to read a chapter book. Three chapters divide the story. As a read-aloud book, it works wonderfully with the right amount of repetition. Henkes’ website announces that this is a new series for new readers.

This is a classic Henkes work – charming story, delightful illustrations. Add it to your growing collection of Henkes books in your public, school, or home library.
added by TamaraConley | editCatholic Library World, Tamara Conley

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062081993, Hardcover)

When Penny receives a surprise box in the mail from Gram, she is thrilled. The surprise is a doll, and she is absolutely perfect, from her head to her toes. Penny loves her immediately. She introduces her new doll to Mama and to the babies and to Papa. But then Papa asks what the doll's name is, and Penny realizes that she doesn't know.

What do you think will happen?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:43 -0400)

Penny instantly loves the doll her grandmother sends her, but finding the perfect name for her is a challenge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,287,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible