Cat Tale by Michael Hall

Cat Tale

by Michael Hall

We have enjoyed many Michael Hall books but this one wasn't as much of a hit. In fact I couldn't keep H's attention through the entire book. :/ ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Fun for elementary school students to take step by step and page by page, finding their way "word by word" just like the cats. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
This is a very, very, very clever book, quite on par with [b:I Scream! Ice Cream!: A Book of Wordles|17641500|I Scream! Ice Cream! A Book of Wordles|Amy Krouse Rosenthal|/assets/nocover/60x80.png|24617025], at least! So inspiring! A wonderful play on homonyms and homophones which probably won't be appreciated by a child much younger than five, but we thought it was a blast. My son read it to me, and he may have been a little too focused on the reading to realize at first what the author was doing with the words, so he was almost halfway into the book once a wide grin spread over his face, priceless! The cut-out (computer generated?) illustrations are esthetically pleasing, if not quite as beautiful as the ones in [b:Perfect Square|8471013|Perfect Square|Michael Hall|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327974028s/8471013.jpg|13335680]. ( )
  Fjola | Oct 17, 2013 |
This very simple story would be great for younger children with nice brightly colored illustrations.
  ZacWoodruff | Jun 2, 2013 |
Cat Tale by Michael Hall is about three cats who go on an adventure, have a run in with homophones and find themselves scrambled and confused. Lillian, Tilly and William J begin their day with a picnic but along the way:

They use a box.
They box some fleas.
And flee a steer.

You can see where this is going. The further they go, the more and whackier the homophones they encounter become. Hall's brightly colored pictures illustrate the homophones, helping early readers master some of the oddities of the English language.

Cat Tale has a good balance of easy to read and challenging words for children who are making the transition from learning to read to more difficult books. My daughter, struggled with understanding the plot the first time, being caught off guard by the homophones. The second time she read the book aloud and that helped to her to hear what Hall was doing.

For the younger set, I think the homophones combined with the silly illustrations will make for a fun storytime or bedtime story. ( )
  pussreboots | May 12, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061915165, Hardcover)

From word to word they find their way, Lillian, Tilly, and William J.

Like this:

They spot some ewes.

They use a box.

They box some fleas.

And flee a steer . . .

First they see, then they do.

The only thing missing? You!

Come join the fun.

Meow!

Michael Hall's inquisitive cats set out to spend the afternoon snacking and reading, but wind up chasing words, including homophones and homonyms, on a silly tongue twister of an adventure!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:16 -0400)

Three adventurous and inquisitive cats named Lillian, Tilly, and William J. have an exciting afternoon playing together.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,995,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible