Chloe and the Half-World (Slumberland…

Chloe and the Half-World (Slumberland Station, Book 1)

by Neon May

English (14)  Dutch (1)  All (15)
This is a young adult/teen dystopian novel which should appeal to anyone who's ever read Harry Potter or other books from that general genre. It's about two young girls who live on an island that is privately owned by those who are designing new technology, which just so happens to be their parents. Theirs some paranormal stuff going on that the girls are being directly affected by and must set out on a dangerous and mysterious quest.

The descriptive words used to describe some of the characters was a bit unusual. Possibly appealing to the younger crowd, but I couldn't quite get on board with it. It gave little information for the readers imagination, but I guess it also left the visions up to the reader one hundred percent.

It's a bit hard to follow at times with all the different things going on. There was almost too much information for me, let alone the younger readers. This didn't make it any less of a good book because I enjoyed it immensely and would definitely rate it at 5/5. ( )
  lizasarusrex | Nov 24, 2014 |
Chloe and the Half World takes you on a journey into an futuristic world surrounding the New York area where nothing is as it seems. Overall the storyline was unique and the characters were interesting. I did have a problem with the way current trendy descriptions were used for describing a futuristic world and its characters as I find these detract from a futuristic setting. However, with that said, I still enjoyed the storyline. I would recommend for those that like reading about heroines, ghosts, futuristic robotics and science as well as action and adventure.

Received this book via LibraryThing.com's member giveaway for a review. ( )
  llyramoon | Jul 4, 2013 |
A fun read with some very imaginative girls.

Chloe and her friend try to save another friend from the Half-World. There are twists and turns and intrigue as you wait to see what happens to Chloe and friends. It will be fun to see what happens in Slumberland Station Bk 2.

Recommended for Middle School aged readers. ( )
1 vote JulieW121 | Apr 20, 2013 |
O my gosh! This is the weirdest book I have ever read! Just when I thought I'd gotten it figured out, it would morph on me. I felt positively dizzy by the end and desperate to read the next installment. The main character is endearing in a snarky teenager sort of way and I'm finding myself worrying about her future since I don't have the second book yet. Neon May's mind must be a bizarre, complex universe. I like! I like! ( )
1 vote alanbethcam | Apr 20, 2013 |
I received this book free to read and review from Library Thing. This is definitely s young adult fantasy book. Chloe and her friend Alice live on an island where a company designs new technology. Each night the girls go to rooftops and run with “Echoes”, ghosts, from one building to another. One ghost tries to communicate with them one night and things change from there on. The plot of this book is very imaginative, but not to my liking. There are some very good, vivid descriptions throughout. Some of the names used are uncommon and definitely geared toward a younger audience. I found the book totally strange, and often a bit confusing. There are a lot of unique creatures/characters throughout, which put me off in many cases. The two main characters, Chloe and Alice, seemed self-centered, not providing good examples for readers. This is part of a larger series, Slumberland Station which will follow along these same lines. Is this a worthwhile series for young people? I am not sure because I am not ready to put someone like these main characters up as examples for others to follow. However, if the reader is into this type of book and enjoys reading fantasy, this is probably a good book for you. If you prefer to have your feet and those of the characters in the book grounded in reality as I do, go elsewhere. You won’t find it here. ( )
1 vote KMT01 | Mar 17, 2013 |

Slumberland Station is an urban fantasy series for young adults aged 12 and up.

Well, let’s see…

Slumberland Station is an urban fantasy series for young adults aged 12 and up. If her father finds out Chloe plays with ghosts after school, she’ll be grounded forever. Why? Because for Chloe, playing with ghosts means racing them from rooftop to rooftop across the Manhattan skyline. Not to worry; when you’re fourteen, you’re immortal, so what could possibly go wrong? Well, let’s see... Being asked by a ghost for directions and becoming the target of a seventeen-year-old assassin? Having to ride an actual ghost train and save a friend who never existed? How about befriending the scariest clowns you’ve ever met or learning your father may be a mad scientist and your life a lie? Now Chloe is left with only one choice: enter the Half-World and seek out the truth that lies beyond reality—if there’s such a thing as reality, of course.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:50 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Neon May's book Chloe and the Half-World (Slumberland Station, Book 1) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Neon May is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,942,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible