The Pirates!: In an Adventure with the…

The Pirates!: In an Adventure with the Romantics

by Gideon Defoe

Very funny. Held my interest until the end, which I think wasn't the case with the Adventure with Scientists. Disappointed though that the list of illustrations did not in fact lead to any illustrations. However the illustrations on the front and back leaves were charming.

What do you call this trope where the main character is an affable, vain idiot, and the second in command is the stoic, smart one? (Bertie - Jeeves) Whatever it is, here it's done well. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
I'm a sucker for fiction writers who use footnotes. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
An utterly hilarious and genuinely smart story, stuffed with genre-skewering moments and many, many clever cultural references. I'd like to say that it doesn't matter if you don't know a lot about the Romantics or gothic literature or the pirate/horror/detective genres but I think if you know anything about these things that you will laugh harder. I only hope he has plans to write more of these novels - they're the canines gonads, so to speak. ( )
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
Despite the long wait, the new Pirates! book is every bit as good as the previous ones. Defoe's still got it. ( )
  labcoatman | Feb 6, 2014 |
A thousand times better than Polidori's "The Vampyr." Though that really isn't saying much if you, like me, have ever had the misfortune to read that story. But certainly the best in the Pirates series to date. I mean what's not to love about the pirates and the Romantics together! It's as if Gideon Defoe (and I still doubt the veracity of that name) wrote this book just for me.

As always, I think I scared people with my laughter during my commute to work. The laughter comes not just from the downright silliness of the book (and footnotes) but from the wonderful in jokes for anyone who knows both pirates and Romantics (Castle Ruthven, hah!). And since I've spent much of my life studying both (I'm not PirateJenny for absolutely no reason and Byron just happens to be my favorite poet), I was in heaven. Plus the fact that the only recurring character with a name is Jennifer and she and Byron get rather close, well, that obviously sealed it. ( )
1 vote PirateJenny | Jan 20, 2013 |
'The most exciting way to start an adventure,' said the albino pirate, 'would be to open in the sinister lair of the International Crime League, eavesdropping as they plotted their most audacious crime yet - the theft of the Queen's brain!'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034580290X, Paperback)

In Gideon Defoe’s fifth Pirates! adventure, the dashing Pirate Captain and his intrepid crew encounter perhaps the most swashbuckling poets in history: Lord Byron, Percy Bysshe Shelley, and Shelley’s fiancée, Mary Godwin.

While visiting the shores of Lake Geneva to restore their spirits and their finances, the Pirate Captain and his crew encounter some surprising fellow adventurers, literary giants of their age: the swaggering Lord Byron, the oddly shifty Percy Shelley, and his smart, quite attractive fiancée, Mary. Together the poets and pirates embark upon a journey that leads from the curiously adventureless Switzerland into the darkest bowels of Oxford, and finally to the forbidding heart of eastern Europe. Amidst haunted castles and early feminism, the Pirate Captain will confront some important questions, namely: What is the secret behind his mysterious belly tattoo? Is “Zombuloid, the corpse-beast” a better name for a monster than “Gorgo: Half-man, half-seaweed?” And, most importantly, what happens when a pirate finally falls in love?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:04 -0400)

Dashing Pirate Captain and his intrepid crew encounter perhaps the most swashbuckling poets in history: Lord Byron, Percy Bysshe Shelley, and Shelley's fiancee, Mary Godwin. While visiting the shores of Lake Geneva to restore their spirits and their finances, the Pirate Captain and his crew encounter some surprising fellow adventurers, literary giants of their age: the swaggering Lord Byron, the oddly shifty Percy Shelley, and his smart, quite attractive fiancee, Mary. Together the poets and pirates embark upon a journey that leads from the curiously adventureless Switzerland into the darkest bowels of Oxford, and finally to the forbidding heart of eastern Europe. Amidst haunted castles and early feminism, the Pirate Captain will confront some important questions, namely: What is the secret behind his mysterious belly tattoo? Is "Zombuloid, the corpse-beast" a better name for a monster than "Gorgo: Half-man, half-seaweed?" And, most importantly, what happens when a pirate finally falls in love.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,759,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible