Her Highness and the Highlander (A Princess…

Her Highness and the Highlander (A Princess Brides Romance)

by Tracy Anne Warren

Series: Princess Brides [T.A. Warren] (Book 2)

This book was quite entertaining with one honest princess and one disbelieving major on the case how could anything go wrong? ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
Fun book with romance, humor and a bit of action. Mercedes is on her way to London from Scotland when her coach is attacked. Barely making her escape, Mercedes hides out in the woods until it's safe, then makes her way to an inn. Wet and bedraggled she is stunned when no one believes that she is a princess in need of assistance, and wonders what she is going to do.

Daniel is a former soldier on his way home to Skye. While stopped at an inn to get out of the weather he is surprised by the appearance of a young woman claiming royal blood and an attempt on her life. He doesn't believe her claims, but he does see that she is truly frightened, and after some soul searching agrees to help her get to London. It's a two week journey that turns out to be more dangerous than Daniel expected, to both his body and his heart.

I really enjoyed the journey as both Mercedes and Daniel learn a lot about themselves and each other. As a princess, Mercedes has never had to be at all self-sufficient. But when her coach is attacked, she has only herself to depend on. Her fear as she ran was very real, but she also had the intelligence to know that she couldn't outrun her pursuers and was able to hide. She had never had the problem of no one believing what she said, so her trouble at the inn was something she didn't know how to deal with. Her gratitude for Daniel's intervention was real as was her frustration at not being able to convince him of who she is. As they head south to London, Mercedes realizes that as a princess she has been sheltered from real life. There are some terrific scenes as she experiences new things such as gathering wood, cleaning and feeding a baby. I loved watching her grow from a slightly spoiled girl to a thoughtful and confident woman.

Daniel is dealing with his own issues of returning home after years at war. There's not much there for him as both of his parents have died, and there isn't much of a home to go to. His family's lands had been taken after Culloden and he has little in the way of resources. He steps in to help Mercedes because as a gentleman he can't just desert her. He doesn't believe her claims, but he will get her to her friends who can help her. He doesn't anticipate all the complications that result from his decision.

I loved the romance that developed between them. Daniel was attracted to her, but realized that she was an innocent and off limits to him. In spite of his disbelief over her claims, he was still very protective of her. I loved seeing him comfort her when she had nightmares about the attack, and how he tried so hard to keep his desire under control. As they made their journey he couldn't help but admire the way that she made the best of their situation. He starts to picture her as a permanent part of his life. He also knows that she has been thoroughly compromised, and uses that to convince himself that it's only right for him to marry her. As they get closer to London, there is another attack, and he realizes that she has been telling the truth all along. Now he is feeling the differences between them and fears that she will regret their marriage. Once they get to London, he thinks his fears will be realized, and tries to do what he believes is best for her. I liked seeing him stand up to her father, even though he gave in to the arguments. I also liked that he couldn't quite give up all hope and was there for her when she needed him.

I loved Mercedes and her development from sheltered girl to amazing woman. She is drawn to Daniel from the beginning, but at first believes it is just because he rescued her. She knows she is going to need help to get to London, and I loved watching her efforts to convince him. I loved the trust she had in him from the start, and really liked the scenes where he was helping her through her nightmares. She spends a lot of time getting to know him and that knowledge creates a change in her feelings from gratitude to love. It was also fun to see her awakening attraction to him and how it changed her. She did fall back into her old ways very briefly when they got to London, hurting Daniel in the process, but she realized her mistake quickly. I loved the ending and seeing her stand up for what she wants.

The question of who was after Mercedes and why was pretty well done. I liked seeing she and Daniel escape most of the danger thanks to Daniel's instincts and lessons learned in the war. I had no clue as to who was behind it until closer to the end, and felt that it was a realistic scenario. The final confrontation was really good, as once again Mercedes doesn't wait around for rescue but makes her own escape attempt. I also loved seeing Daniel earn the respect of Mercedes's father. There was also a nice twist at the end that made their future so much easier. ( )
  scoutmomskf | May 22, 2015 |
Summary
While on her journey home to Alden from Scotland, her carriage is attacked. With her personal guard, maid, and even her cousin dead, she is the only survivor and is able to flee into the woods. Finally after some time, she reaches a inn, and tries to convey her situation to the locals, who has little sympathy and don't even believe her when she says she is a Princess. Then a handsome stranger defends her. Mercedes asks for his help as her bodyguard. Daniel, reaches out to this young woman who is obviously in fear of something and in need of a champion. Even though he thinks she is a bit addled in claiming she is a princess. However he feels that there is someone or something that has genuinely frightened her so he accompanies her to London. Through the journey back to London, he knows there is a real danger chasing them, but he fears he is in real danger of losing his heart to her.

The Hero
Daniel, felt like going into the military service was the best course of action. His parents lived on a poor farm, after their land was taken away. He has just returned, and plans on building a life for himself. When he finds a lone woman, looking like she has had the devil chasing her, he decides to help her out as best he can. Even though he thinks there is no truth in her claims as a princess, he decides to help her down to London. But when he finds himself falling in love with her, all he wants to do is claim her as his forever.

The Heroine
Mercedes was sent by her father to a school in Scotland, and now she is just returning home. She misses her family, and it has been some time since she has seen them. But her journey is violently interrupted when she is attacked. After barely escaping, she is horrified when her maid and her cousin are killed. There are men that want to capture her, but she has no idea why. She only knows that she needs to make it to London as soon as possible. When she meets Daniel, he rescues her. On their way to London, she feels herself starting to really care for him, and knows all she wants is to be with him for the rest of her life. Because she has never been happier than at his side.

My Thoughts
Her Highness and the Highlander is the second in the series by Tracy Anne Warren. I just have thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of this authors' works. So I knew when seeing this one on the shelf that I had to pick it up. When I read the Blurb on the back, I knew it would be one that I hoped was just as good as her other books. I mean a princess in need of a knight in shining armor, a sexy highlander in need of a good woman, and a exciting plot to keep its reader on their toes. Who wouldn't want to read it? I really enjoyed the characters...both Daniel and Mercedes I felt were perfect for each other. Mercedes I found to be very adaptive to each environment she is put in. For being a spoiled princess, there is a lot more to her than meets the eye. I really liked how she was willing to fight for Daniel and be with him no matter what. Daniel, is just so loveable, I couldn't help but admire him from the first few pages. There was something about the way he is with Mercedes that I just found delightful. The Plot was exciting from the first sentence. I was utterly captivated by the suspenseful scenes, the engaging characters, the sensual love scenes, and a brilliantly written story. LOVED IT AND COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN ONCE!!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Dec 6, 2014 |
I liked the premise of this book but the execution was confusing. The characters actions were not very thought out - i can't say more without a spoiler. Just a disappointing execution of what could have been a strong book. ( )
  reesa00 | Jul 21, 2013 |

Tracy Anne Warrenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eyre, JustineReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451238435, Mass Market Paperback)

From New York Times bestselling author Tracy Anne Warren comes the second novel in an enchanting new trilogy about three princesses brought together by friendship and fate. This is Princess Mercedes’s story…
      While journeying home from Scotland, Princess Mercedes of Alden’s coach is set upon and her personal guard killed. Barely escaping with her life, she seeks help at a nearby inn. But with no money and looking little better than a beggar, the townsfolk think her claims of being a princess to be nothing more than a far-fetched tale. Utterly forsaken, Mercedes wonders what is to become of her.
      After years of soldiering, dispossessed Laird Daniel MacKinnon is finally coming home. At an inn he is confronted by a bedraggled young woman claiming to be of royal blood. Daniel doesn’t believe her wild tale, but when she asks for his protection, he agrees to serve as her bodyguard—in turn she promises to reward him handsomely once they reach London. But Mercedes is still being pursued by ruthless hunters whose motives remain unclear.
       As the danger increases, so does the desire she and Daniel feel for each other, until the two of them must face the greatest danger of all—falling in love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

After she is robbed and her personal guard is killed, Princess Mercedes of Alden convinces dispossessed laird Daniel MacKinnon to escort her to London, and they face the perils of love as well as pursuit by ruthless assassins.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,992,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible