Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global…

by Chrystia Freeland

174None68,041 (3.8)18
Member:M109Rider
Title:Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else
Authors:Chrystia Freeland
Info:Penguin Press HC, The (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:eBook, Economics, Reading

Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else by Chrystia Freeland

Down the Up Escalator: How the 99 Percent Live in the Great Recession by Barbara Garson (Jestak)
    Jestak: These two books offer a very effective counterpoint to each other.

3 of the 4 posted reviews made me wonder if the writers didn't read the entire book. The last two chapters "Rent-Seeking" and "Plutocrats and the Rest of Us" along with the Conclusion are fascinating and I'd say required reading to understand the global economy, the super-elite, and the implications for the rest of us. ( )
  FranklynCee | Jan 19, 2014 |
I have not finished this yet, but I'm enjoying it. It is not a "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" that I feared, so far. Author provides a helpful overview of the forces behind the growing (national) income inequality and the growing (global) income equality. As incomes go up in the rising nations, they have to go down somewhere. That is, they have to go down for those who are not in the top tier taking advantage of globalization.
  bradleybunch | Mar 30, 2013 |
Meh! The author goes on and on with dropping names and telling us how many billions of dollars the people she talked to have. Got tiring after a while. This should have been an article in the New Yorker instead of a book. ( )
1 vote SymphonySil | Jan 18, 2013 |
Read this book with my Ipad handy to research what was written. Book covers the role that the ultra rich play in the economy of our country as well as the world. Growing up I thought 1 million was a lot of money. Not in todays world. Billions covers it. Great book to understand what is happening in our economy and the influence that the ultra rich have out everyday world of the middle class. ( )
  oldbookswine | Dec 31, 2012 |
I'm afraid that I didn't understand this book. I do not mean that it uses complex terminology, or that the concepts are beyond the average reader (me!). The book is all about, "The rise of the new global super rich". After reading a few pages, I was shocked at the super affluence that the top 0.1% of society has awarded itself but, the more that one thinks about life, the more one realises that the super-greedy have always been with us. Do I think that it is right that a small percentage of people are paid vastly exorbitant salaries? No. Am I going to lose sleep over it? No.

This is a group of incredibly sad people, who work 15 plus hours every day of the year, rarely interact with their family, or any human being, unless that interaction will earn them more money than the average person can comprehend. The book did nothing to convince me that these people are significant, in any way and, when I reached the last page, my only thought was, "I hope these people find a way to use all their money to buy themselves another life - they seem to be wasting this one."

Ms Freeland seemed surprised that these super rich people were almost exclusively male. As a man, I am sadly not: whilst it is true that ladies have a harder time getting to the highest positions in business, etc., I also believe that, in the main, women are much more emotionally mature. This is a rather silly boys' game and not worth any more of my time........... ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Nov 5, 2012 |

A journalist and industry specialist for Reuters examines the growing disparity between the rich and the poor, taking a non-partisan look into the businesspeople who are amassing colossal fortunes and preferring the company of similar people around the world.… (more)

52 wanted4 pay2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,416,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible